Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Half Broke Horses

by Jeannette Walls

3,5332072,138 (3.98)1 / 210
    These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.) by Nancy E. Turner (Electablue)
    Last of the Saddle Tramps by Mesannie Wilkins (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you enjoyed Jeannette Walls' tale of her grandmother's adventures, but wish it had been nonfiction, Wilkin's journey across country with her four-footed companions will be right up your alley.

English (208)  Spanish (1)  All languages (209)
Straightforward, entertaining account of politically incorrect, ever-controversial "Lily Casey, the mustang-breaking, poker-playing, horse-race-winning schoolmarm of Coconino County" (also rancher, pilot, etc.). "[H]ers is one of those heartwarming stories about indomitable women that will always find an audience" (Publishers Weekly). Recommended by Pam. ( )
  beaujoe | Aug 6, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Aug 2011):
- Without question Jeannette Walls' grandmother Lily Casey Smith lived an interesting, bygone life. Helping to geld horses, riding a roughshod pony hundreds of miles... That the author was compelled to share this history as a precedent to her own adventurous life is understandable. What limited my enjoyment of this work is the way in which it was told. I received the narrative as a straight recitation of Lily Casey's exploits, absent any nuance. In my view, this would have worked much better as a fully inventive, imaginative novel, in which the inner voice of Lily was heard. In ANY work of fiction, personality-based or not, you expect some divergence from static reality.
- I applaud her inspirations, just not the form. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jun 28, 2018 |
This biographical novel has a wonderful narrative voice. Author, Jeannette Walls tells her grandmother's life story. I found it a fascinating account of a life lived both rough and tough, spanning the 1900's in Texas. Lily Casey Smith was born in a dirt house, the eldest of three siblings. Her father suffered a disability as a child, so by the age of 6 she was helping break horses. Her parents home schooled her and by the age of fifteen she leaves home to teach. This is a remarkable life story and demonstrates the grit of some of the past generations and their survival skills. ( )
1 vote HelenBaker | Apr 15, 2018 |
Read it in a big gulp. Loved the no nonsense Lily and the telling of her life story. Dovetailed Glass castles. Though she called it fiction because she had to shade in a lot of missing information and address conflicting accounts of her family's history. Excellent book. ( )
  Alphawoman | Nov 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This rich, evocative literary novel-memoir is a true delight. The author recreated her grandmother's life as a story of fiction, but based on the true stories handed down through the family by her mother. Jeannette Walls doesn't disappoint. ( )
  heavyleg | Oct 4, 2017 |
The pert style of “Half Broke Horses” is much more repetitive and grating than the more spontaneous-sounding voice Ms. Walls used to describe her own life.

But the author comes from a family that knew how to lure horses using grain, not rope. And she has inherited a version of that skill. So she has managed to make her second book almost as inviting as her first, even though its upright heroine is never as startling as Ms. Walls’s parents were.

It was the great north wind that made the Vikings.
—Old Norwegian saying

Esther Fuchs

And in memory of
Jeannette Bivens and
Lily Casey Smith
Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did.
I never met a kid I couldn't teach. Every kid was good at something, and the trick was to find out what it was, then use it to teach him everything else.

Publisher Comments:
Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle was nothing short of spectacular (Entertainment Weekly). Now she brings us the story of her grandmother — told in a voice so authentic and compelling that the book is destined to become an instant classic.

"Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did." So begins the story of Lily Casey Smith, in Jeannette Walls's magnificent, true-life novel based on her no-nonsense, resourceful, hard working, and spectacularly compelling grandmother. By age six, Lily was helping her father break horses. At fifteen, she left home to teach in a frontier town — riding five hundred miles on her pony, all alone, to get to her job. She learned to drive a car ("I loved cars even more than I loved horses. They didn't need to be fed if they weren't working, and they didn't leave big piles of manure all over the place") and fly a plane, and, with her husband, ran a vast ranch in Arizona. She raised two children, one of whom is Jeannette's memorable mother, Rosemary Smith Walls, unforgettably portrayed in The Glass Castle.

Lily survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy. She bristled at prejudice of all kinds — against women, Native Americans, and anyone else who didn't fit the mold. Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults, as riveting and dramatic as Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa or Beryl Markham's West with the Night. It will transfix readers everywhere.
Hearse full of schoolkids?

It's just their bus, don't worry

No dead kids! It's safe.

(mazeway)

A true-life novel about Lily Casey Smith (the author's grandmother) who at age six helped her father break horses, at age fifteen left home to teach in a frontier town, and later as a wife and mother runs a vast ranch in Arizona where she survived tornadoes, droughts, floods, the Great Depression, and the most heartbreaking personal tragedy--but despite a life of hardscrabble drudgery still remains a woman of indomitable spirit.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeannette Walls's book Half Broke Horses was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible