Bastard out of Carolina

by Dorothy Allison

Bone, an illegitimate child in a family of social outcasts, sees her mother's happiness with her new husband and will not tell when the stepfather begins abusing her in the 1950s.
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Anonymous user)
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (echo2)
    echo2: These books are both epic, heartbreaking novels that explore the impact of poverty and addiction on families -- albeit they seem nothing alike in any other respect.
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A memoir of childhood resilience and survival, it resonates in a similar way.
    Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa (Anonymous user)
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (SJaneDoe)
    Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler (cataylor)
    Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A book of survival in dysfunctional families in North Carolina.
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (LCBrooks)

English (114)  Swedish (1)  All languages (115)
This novel was a tough read and left me feeling angry and hurt afterwards. “Cold as death, mean as a snake, and twice as twisty.” When Glenn Said this about Bone, I could have swore he was talking about himself. Nobody in this story was likeable except for poor Bone who was unfortunate to be born into this family. Everybody in her family were too blind by false love and drunkenness to see what was going on. Great read but I won't pick up this book again. ( )
  Koralis | Jul 12, 2022 |
Sad life-very sad! ( )
  wincheryl | Jun 20, 2022 |
Creepy. Sad. Have no idea why this was a bestseller. I wish I had the time back that I used to read this book. ( )
  WellReadSoutherner | Apr 6, 2022 |
Just wow! This was a book that I abhorred. It made me nauseous. I should not have finished it. This was a tragedy for sure: child abuse and rape. This was no happy ending. I do not know what compelled me to think of it. This is the stuff of which nightmares are made. A grim story with superb writing that compelled this reader to continue. I don't recommend if you are squeamish. 326 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Nov 26, 2021 |
This book crushed me. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |

Allison, DorothyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lange, DorotheaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stathakis, Steven N.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

—James Baldwin
For Mama
Ruth Gibson Allison
1935–1990
I've been called Bone all my life, but my name's Ruth Anne.

This book is fiction, but it comes so real with the feeling of an amateur autobiography. The author is so descriptive, she takes you to the time and place and puts you right there watching it all happen. It was a very captivating, but sad story.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,554,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible