Bastard Out of Carolina

by Dorothy Allison

Bone, an illegitimate child in a family of social outcasts, sees her mother's happiness with her new husband and will not tell when the stepfather begins abusing her in the 1950s.
Recently added byAugustaJustice, engnyath, Cricket856, Menagerie2020, MendoLibrary, Knightpanda, private library
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Anonymous user)
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (echo2)
    echo2: These books are both epic, heartbreaking novels that explore the impact of poverty and addiction on families -- albeit they seem nothing alike in any other respect.
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A memoir of childhood resilience and survival, it resonates in a similar way.
    Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa (Anonymous user)
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (SJaneDoe)
    Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler (cataylor)
    Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A book of survival in dysfunctional families in North Carolina.
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (LCBrooks)

I think it was courageous to tell this sickening story of abuse & poverty, but i wished it could have been something more than the suffering. Really depressing. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
A Book worth reading and teaching

A hard to read, but so important to read and discuss. The 20th Anniversary edition has an Afterword in which the author discusses her choice of writing a novel instead of a memoir. In other asks, "Who would beat a child? Who would rape a child?" When her book was banned from being used in a Maine high school she felt discouraged , and I was disappointed to learn that this happened fairly recently. This is an important book to discuss, and hopefully some day those questions will be rarely asked.
1 vote Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
This was a very engaging book. It started out a bit slow, but ended up engrossing. I liked how complex a character Bone was, and the side characters were memorable. It deals with some heavy topics, but overall I would recommend it. Especially if you are interested in books about the south. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Jul 1, 2020 |
I loved this book so much! I'm familiar with the community she writes about, and I've never read anything that captured it better. Or much else that has tried, for that matter. In addition to her description of class in the south, she also presents the thoughts and concerns of a child so well, in a way that transcends the setting of the book. A classic for a reason. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book despite the fact that it was difficult to read. The hard-living family manages to persevere in the face of constant hardship, and the central character, Bone, radiates a strength that lets the reader know that she will be okay after the story ends. ( )
  Melwilk | Mar 19, 2020 |
People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

-James Baldwin
For Mama
Ruth Gibson Allison
1935-1990
I've been called Bone all my life, but my name's Ruth Anne.

This book is fiction, but it comes so real with the feeling of an amateur autobiography. The author is so descriptive, she takes you to the time and place and puts you right there watching it all happen. It was a very captivating, but sad story.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible