Where the Crawdads Sing

by Delia Owens

9,327506690 (4.16)2 / 372
For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. She's barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark. But Kya is not what they say. Abandoned at age ten, she has survived on her own in the marsh that she calls home. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life lessons from the land, learning from the false signals of fireflies the real way of this world. But while she could have lived in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world -- until the unthinkable happens.… (more)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though much about these novels is dissimilar, both offer a historical Southern setting and a farcical trial that illuminates the small-minded nature of a town's inhabitants. Both atmospheric novels also feature young female protagonists who come of age under challenging circumstances.… (more)
    The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (SubrbnMom)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (kristenl)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (gypsysmom)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (LAKobow)
    The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Girls come of age in the wilderness.
    Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A book of a young girl's survival in a dysfunctional family in North Carolina.
    The Boatman's Daughter by Andy Davidson (dmenon90)
    dmenon90: Similar marsh setting, young girl protagonist, complicated relationships with men, themes of danger and survival. But the Davidson book is magical realism.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (kristenl)
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (WendyRobyn)
    WendyRobyn: Strong presence of nature and nature sciences, small town USA, romantic interest between protagonist and sensitive, educated man
    Let's No One Get Hurt by Jon Pineda (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both coming of age stories are character driven and center on young women living on the outskirts of society. Vivid imagery of locales in the southern United States feature prominently.
    Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell (aprille)
    aprille: Isolated young women who do what they need to to survive.
    My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent (shaunie)
    shaunie: Both have a girl growing up in unusual, deprived circumstances at the centre of the story. My Absolute Darling, whilst flawed, is far better written.
    A Drop in the Ocean: A Novel by Jenni Ogden (rainpebble)

English (486)  Dutch (6)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (498)
Autumn leaves don't fall; they fly. They take their time and wander on this, their only chance to soar. Reflecting sunlight, they swirled and sailed and fluttered on the wind drafts.

Now, before I get into it, I saw a few people hating on this book because of Tate and Kya's relationship. Yes, Tate was 19 when Kya was 15. Yes, they almost got intimate with each other. But 1. they didn't and 2. it's part of the story…

Rating this book one or two stars because of the "age gap" is honestly reaching. It's part of the plot, it was supposed to happen like that, that doesn't mean the author is glamorizing these types of relationships. Honestly, your guys' performative activism is showing. I understand how weird it is, but you guys like to criticize books because of their social issues and talk about how it shouldn't have been added because it's problematic without realizing it's supposed to be teaching you something or that it's simply for the plot, not because the author believes in those ideologies.

Ted Talk = over.

[b:Where the Crawdads Sing|36809135|Where the Crawdads Sing|Delia Owens|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1582135294l/36809135._SY75_.jpg|58589364] is about Kya and her ways of surviving on her own in the marsh. It's a beautiful story with beautiful characters and morals. The writing was simple but still different in its own way. Delia Owens' way of describing the marsh and all of the surrounding nature left me wanting more. Normally, a story with too much information like that would've bored me, but I actually found myself enjoying it.

Since I just started getting back into reading in January, I haven't read many books and experienced different characters. But this book made the characters feel real and I actually felt something for them. I experienced what they were feeling in their moments and genuinely felt emotions when things didn't go as planned.

SPOILERS UNDER ↓

Tate and Kya began their friendship when he taught her how to read. Of course, she didn't trust him at first because she had never really spoken to anyone, but as they grew closer and began bonding over their love and knowledge for the marsh, she began to open her heart up. They spent a lot of time together, mostly him teaching her how to read and gifting her books. But then the both of them began to share special feelings.

Tate is unbelievably sweet. He cares a lot about Kya and it shows.

But then Tate has to move away to college. Kya is heartbroken. He promises to visit when he has the time. He doesn't. Kya tells herself never to love anyone or trust anyone ever again.

And Chase Andrews comes into the picture. To be honest, I don't know why Kya agreed to go on a date with him when she knows he's a jock and a player. But he acts sweet to her and she seems to think that's normal. It isn't. He tries to get with her on their first date. She doesn't want to. Then he asks her for a second chance because he actually likes her and she... believes him. Ok.

I'm not going to recite the whole plot because that's boring...

Chase and Kya begin a relationship are together for quite a long time. He brings up marriage. She's happy. Then she's sad because all along, Chase was dating someone else and is getting married to that someone else.

Kya is heartbroken once again.

OMG! And then one day he dies! Oh no... they think she did it. Did she? (Idk because the author didn't make it clear and then she wrote that part but I still don't know if she did it)

Blah blah blah court is boring but guess what...

A HAPPY ENDING WITH TATE ♡

The End. ( )
  ninaleonidovna | Oct 2, 2022 |
I would shelve this under fantasy, because pretty much every plot point in the book requires a huge suspension of belief that something like that would ever happen in the way it does. I gave it an extra star, because if I somehow managed to look past that fact it would have been an ok story. ( )
  notbucket24 | Oct 2, 2022 |
keeps you guessing and interested all the way through. Couldn't put it down. ( )
  Lyon_co_library | Sep 27, 2022 |
LOVE. Such a gorgeous book. A perfect celebration of nature and our own natural instincts. ( )
  Joannerdrgs | Sep 22, 2022 |
I understand why some people love this book. I am just not one of those people. I don’t understand the hype. L ( )
  Maggiekn_reads | Sep 14, 2022 |

I knowed ya
I loved ya,
Forever.
Marsh is not swamp.
Crows can't keep secrets any better than mud; once they see something curious in the forest they have to tell everybody.
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot."
The shack sat back from the palmettos, which sprawled across sand flats to a necklace of green lagoons and, in the distance, all the marsh beyond. Miles of blade-grass so tough it grew in salt water, interrupted only by trees so bent they wore the shape of the wind.
Mostly, the village seemed tired of arguing with the elements, and simply sagged.
The rain eased. A single drop, here then there, shook a leaf like the flick of a cat's ear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,302,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible