dismiss

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing (2018)

by Delia Owens

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. She's barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark. But Kya is not what they say. Abandoned at age ten, she has survived on her own in the marsh that she calls home. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life lessons from the land, learning from the false signals of fireflies the real way of this world. But while she could have lived in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world -- until the unthinkable happens.… (more)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though much about these novels is dissimilar, both offer a historical Southern setting and a farcical trial that illuminates the small-minded nature of a town's inhabitants. Both atmospheric novels also feature young female protagonists who come of age under challenging circumstances.… (more)
    The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (SubrbnMom)
    The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Girls come of age in the wilderness.
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (kristenl)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (gypsysmom)
    Let's No One Get Hurt by Jon Pineda (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both coming of age stories are character driven and center on young women living on the outskirts of society. Vivid imagery of locales in the southern United States feature prominently.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (kristenl)
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (WendyRobyn)
    WendyRobyn: Strong presence of nature and nature sciences, small town USA, romantic interest between protagonist and sensitive, educated man
    A Drop in the Ocean: A Novel by Jenni Ogden (rainpebble)

English (262)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (266)
Judy
  chapterthree | May 28, 2020 |
This is a story that really tugged at my heartstrings. When I was younger I used to dream about running away to be a hermit in some wilderness. Kya's story shows the downside of being a loner, unchosen. But it also shows her life force pushing past obstacles and taking joy in natue. I cried again at Emily Dickinson's poem when Kya sets aside her longing.
A few little quibbles (e.g. would a child raised on corn grits really grow to be tall strong & beautiful? wouldn't her poor nutrition result in meagre appearance?) ( )
  juniperSun | May 28, 2020 |
What a stunning book. Very often description of surroundings is filler or just for establishment of background for the character. In this book it was vital and part of the meat of the book. I wasn't sure I'd like this but it was highly recommended and as I read II loved it. The main character was unique and the book was spell-binding. Terrific. ( )
  phyllis2779 | May 26, 2020 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | May 23, 2020 |
Woven into the path of Louisana history, this is a beautiful tale of the life of this young woman and what she endures. Heartache, abandonment, treachery, and the accusation of murder all play out in this Louisana swamp that I could never have believed was as beautiful as seen through the eyes of this young girl. Beautifully told, and heartwarming story. ( )
1 vote Bauernfeind | May 19, 2020 |

I knowed ya
I loved ya,
Forever.
Marsh is not swamp.
Crows can't keep secrets any better than mud; once they see something curious in the forest they have to tell everybody.
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot."

For years, rumors of the Marsh Girl have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,622,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible