The Prince of Tides (1986)

by Pat Conroy

Spanning 40 years, it is the story of Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family in which they were born.

English (91)  French (3)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
Thanks to an update notification here, this book vaulted into my consciousness. I remember it well (read in the 1990s I think), more so than the subsequent movie which I didn't think was all that great.

Checking Wikipedia, I see they have the whole plot summarized so I won't get into such.

What came vividly to mind from the pages of the book was the tiger, the younger sister, why the MC was fired from his teaching job, the black widows, the escaped prisoners and their depravity. Quite a story with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in, and a wide variety of characters.

I remember it kept me entertained for a bit. Who will prompt the next recall from three quarters of a century of reading? ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |
Beautiful book. Great language. Good story line. ( )
  DannyKeep | Feb 19, 2021 |
Moving..magical....melodramatic. Conroy depicted a breathtaking portrait of the South Carolina low country, added a gripping story, and to this recipe added melodramatic prose and archaic and obscure adjectives. This took away from the other two but I still couldn't put it down! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
I couldn't wait to finish this book. I almost stopped reading several times. I hoped it would get better. I remember parts of the movie so I knew some of the story and really hoped I'd get into it. It does get better near the end. Sorry, but the endless droning about every little detail was bad. And Tom's endless rants tiresome. Savannah might be the most interesting character in the whole book but she's not around much. It's really too bad, as I've been on a "books made into mini series" reading list.
(in this case a movie). I read Lonesome Dove before this and it's fantastic. ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
Monumental tocho que se deja leer como si no existieran las páginas. Cuadro costumbrista de la Carolina del Sur más tópica, a través de la historia y el presente de una familia. Maravilloso cuadro, grandísimo estilo, inmensa profundidad de los personajes. Todo en ella me gustó. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Conroy, PatAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,022,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible