The Prince of Tides (1986)

by Pat Conroy

Spanning 40 years, it is the story of Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family in which they were born.

English (97)  French (3)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (102)
I've only read two of Conroy's, "Prince of Tides" and "The Great Santini". Both were very good. ( )
  btbell_lt | Aug 1, 2022 |
I could almost smell the salt air of the coast reading this masterpiece. I will never forget Tom Wingo or his family's story. Pat Conroy can take you to the coast like no one else. This book was packed full of family dysfunction. Tom takes off to New York after the news that his sister has attempted suicide. As he tells the family history to his sister's therapist we learn about this family's troubled past. Maybe in telling the story, Tom can finally find some peace of his own. ( )
1 vote dawnlovesbooks | Jun 2, 2022 |
Unbelievably beautiful prose with an insight into Southern culture only a native could write. Pat Conroy must have been born with a pen in his hand. His stories flow onto the page as if they have always existed.

Prince of Tides is a singularly painful book, full of horrendous darkness, unspeakable cruelty, yet side by side, the reader is lifted by exposure to the Southern Carolina seashore and Wildlands.

The resilience of the human spirit is woven into every aspect of this novel. Through heartbreaking childhoods and lonely adolescence, through the isolation of family togetherness, Conroy draws you in until every emotion you have has been spent.

Prince of Tides has become one of my favorite books, one that will stand the test of time. It speaks to the ability of humankind to rise above almost anything. It stands for hope in an often hopeless world. Definitely a must read! ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
One of the best books I've read in a really long time. It is full of heartbreak and sorrow, of family trauma and mysticism. And I loved every second of it. I'm glad I finally got around to reading.
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
Not always the easiest story, it is undeniable that Conroy has a way with words. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 1, 2021 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Conroy, PatAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,872,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible