The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

The Prince of Tides (1986)

by Pat Conroy, Pat Conroy

English (80)  French (3)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (86)
Great Thomas Wolfean prose about a part and time of America that I have not read about. Sometimes a little over the top in developing the story (Tiger, Dolphin, elaborate dialogue) but still an enjoyable read. I will definitely eventually get to Beach Music. ( )
  JBreedlove | Feb 17, 2018 |
I’m really sorry to have to pan a book that so many people love. It’s been on my to-read list for decades. I was in the mood for a big, soapy pleasure read, and this book was surely big and soapy, but hardly a pleasure.

Now, I should have been more careful to pick a book that doesn’t push my buttons: an anti-feminist narrator, a whites-only picture of the American south, tedious descriptions of sporting events. If you love all these factors, you may love the book. But aside from thematic elements that I tend to avoid, I experienced this book as 577 of humble-bragging. Meet the Wingo family! We are not just dysfunctional, we are the biggest, baddest dysfunctional family you’ll ever meet. Plus we are all geniuses, and our lives and our loves are deeper than yours. I was thoroughly annoyed.
Plus, the book had too many plot-points that were plain unbelievable. The tiger. The porpoise, The highly unethical psychiatrist. And all this is rendered in tinny dialog and in vividly purple prose that is sometimes unintentionally funny.

After all these years of people pressing me to read Conroy, I finally did. Next time I’ll keep my own counsel. ( )
  CasualFriday | Nov 28, 2017 |
Not all abusive childhoods are bereft of love and happiness, and Pat Conroy beautifully illustrates this confounding truth in his remarkable book The Prince of Tides. He doesn't sweep the ugliness under the rug, as several of his characters would prefer, nor does he condone or excuse the abuse. He highlights it, examines its origins, and amply cites its vast consequences, all the while showing another side of life that included beauty, clumsy but deep love, fierce loyalty, and the makings of fond and poignant memories. He tackles a lot of other issues, as well, including racism, mental illness, stereotypes, and survival, to name just a few.

This is a long book with rich and complex characters, plot, subplots, and dialogue. The relationship between the main character and Dr. Lowenstein seemed forced and unrealistic, but other than that, I very much enjoyed this book. ( )
  dldbizacct | Nov 6, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Conroy paints a rich, deep family drama here with plenty of memorable characters and authentic stories of the South. The main characters are deeply flawed, but most have many redemptive qualities, and one can't help getting involved emotionally as their lives are laid bare with the injustices of growing up in an abusive family.

I do think Conroy can get carried away with some of his descriptions and stories - some even stretch the bounds of believability, but the writing is so rich, so charming and enveloping, that it far makes up for some of Mr. Conroy's grandiose story lines that are found throughout this tome.

This is one that leaves in an indelible mark on me. You will be moved. You will be entertained. I think that may be another strength of Mr. Conroy. He will beat you over the head with raw, painful sections, but what makes this epic is there are joyful, moving and transformative sections too, both weaved gracefully throughout. ( )
  Mitchell_Bergeson_Jr | Aug 6, 2017 |
Amazing

This was without a doubt one of best books I have ever read and will remain an all time favorite for years to come I am certain. I was expecting an old fashioned love story but this was nothing at all what I had expected. I was enthralled and completely captivated both by the story and by the way it was written. Pat Conroy is a genius, with a poetic grace that made this story flow like a song. I'm going to read every single one of his books consecutively and can only hope they're even half as good as this one was. If you have not read this book you are truly missing out. I recommend it to anyone and would rate it ten stars if I could, it is that good! ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conroy, Patmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

PAT CONROY has created a huge, brash thunderstorm of a novel, stinging with honesty and resounding with drama. Spanning forty years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and their struggle to triumph over the dark and tragic legacy of the extraordinary family into which they were born.

Filled with the vanishing beauty of the South Carolina low country as well as the dusty glitter of New York City, The Prince of Tides is PAT CONROY at his very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

"Spanning 40 years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family into which they were born."--Page 4 of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,976,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible