dismiss

The Prince of Tides (1986)

by Pat Conroy, Pat Conroy

Spanning 40 years, it is the story of Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family in which they were born.

English (89)  French (3)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
I couldn't wait to finish this book. I almost stopped reading several times. I hoped it would get better. I remember parts of the movie so I knew some of the story and really hoped I'd get into it. It does get better near the end. Sorry, but the endless droning about every little detail was bad. And Tom's endless rants tiresome. Savannah might be the most interesting character in the whole book but she's not around much. It's really too bad, as I've been on a "books made into mini series" reading list.
(in this case a movie). I read Lonesome Dove before this and it's fantastic. ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
Monumental tocho que se deja leer como si no existieran las páginas. Cuadro costumbrista de la Carolina del Sur más tópica, a través de la historia y el presente de una familia. Maravilloso cuadro, grandísimo estilo, inmensa profundidad de los personajes. Todo en ella me gustó. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Gripping story of the Wingo family in South Carolina. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I have read voraciously my entire life, and always, when asked my favorite book of all time, say The Prince of Tides. This book moved me to the bone marrow. That Pat Conroy braved to tell such a deep, visceral story of a family without the soft, hazy glow of all being wonderful opened my eyes to the possibilities of cause and effect within the family, which isn't always pretty. There are significant scars in narrator, Tom Wingo's, life, which manifest later after he goes to NYC from South Carolina to tend to his poet twin sister, Savannah, who shares his coming-of-age story. In scenes with Savannah's therapist, Dr. Susan Lowenstein, who tries to piece together Savannah's past, the vividly drawn, the Wingo family's hardscrabble life unfurls, and the Wingo's father's abusive character is revealed, though it is buffered by their complicated and ultimately self-serving mother. Rich in mood, setting, and portraying a layered family life, The Prince of Tides is written in unparalleled prose and is a gorgeous, unflinchingly realistic story. ( )
  Clairefullerton | Nov 27, 2019 |
A wowzer of a novel, not least because so much of it is autobiographical. What a family the Wingo's are! Tom Wingo, teacher and sports coach, tells the story of his family to the psychologist who is treating his sister Savannah, in New York.

There are exceedingly violent episodes, but the novel is a page turner, often with beautiful phrasing, and Conroy writes beautifully about the natural world. You can smell and taste it.

I'm going to have to track down the film, but there is no way it can have captured the breadth of the book, but I'll be happy if it catches a little of its soul.U ( )
  Caroline_McElwee | Sep 8, 2019 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conroy, Patmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,003,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible