The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie…

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2008)

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

14,9481085219 (4.15)1 / 1141
Recently added byeffietheant, deweyquilt, hpl83332, private library, helenaferry, maritimer, Esther27H, lburick, Megha17
    84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (khuggard, DetailMuse, Cecilturtle, helgagrace, Sodapop, BasilBlue, kraaivrouw)
    khuggard: Another tale about book lovers who come together through letters, with the same post-war England setting.
    Sodapop: A Non-fiction story about book lovers told via their letters.
    BasilBlue: A book about books and booklovers for booklovers that incidentally has a real flavor of the late 40s and early 50s.
    kraaivrouw: Another book about people who connect via their love of books and reading.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another deeply affecting, beautiful and heartbreaking story of books, love, small kindness and resilience during World War II.
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (Anonymous user, mysterymax)
    Anonymous user: Both novels reflect on World War II from small, seaside towns, one an island in Europe, the other a small town in Cape Cod. The female leads are unique and interesting and are surrounded by great small town people.
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (cransell)
    The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher (MyriadBooks)
    The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Going in to the bookmobile to apologize for the disturbance created by one of her corgis, Queen Elizabeth II feels it would only be polite to check out a book. When she returns it, she checks out another . . . and then another. One of her pages becomes her abettor in the matter of securing books and reading them. Thus begins an amusing but also thought-provoking saga of how reading can change a person's habits and even outlook.… (more)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes of a journalist discovering the layers of secrets around a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: The writing styles and the authors' love for the written word connect both period pieces in my mind even though their plots are extremely different.
    The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G. B. Edwards (jill123, BasilBlue)
    jill123: Though they are different in style and tone, both books are set in the Channel Islands during the Nazi Occupation. I enjoyed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I found Ebenezer Le Page to be an absolutely wonderful book. More complex and interesting than the Potato Peel Society.… (more)
    BasilBlue: Although written in a more elegantly sparse style, this book covers much the same territory, geographically and emotionally.
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)
    Miss Buncle by D. E. Stevenson (wandering_star)
    Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole (rosylibrarian)
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Limelite)
    Limelite: Also an epistolary novel. Also about how community can triumph over debilitating circumstance.
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (nancyewhite)
    The Dig by John Preston (catherinestead)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (betsytacy)
    betsytacy: This YA novel, set in 1936, features 16-year-old Sophie, a royal orphan growing up with her siblings and cousin in a shabby castle on island kingdom of Montmaray, somewhere off the coast of England. The island's strategic location draws the interest of the Nazis.… (more)
    A Place of Hiding by Elizabeth George (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books deal with the occupation of Guernsey by the Nazis.
    The Book of Lies by Mary Horlock (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Very different books, but both are set on Guernsey and have a strong sense of place. Both books also cover the WWII occupation of the island. And finally, both books are compelling, quick reads.
    Plenty by David Hare (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Both capture the desperation of post-war England in their own unique ways.

English (1,055)  French (15)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (6)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (3)  German (3)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (1,096)
This is the second novel that I have read this year, after The Book Thief, that depicts how reading and books helped people overcome the brutality they faced during the WWII... but, that's where the similarity between these two books ends. While The Book Thief was rather an emotional read, this one is a charming epistolary novel that shows how a literary society came to be because of the German Occupation and how books and discussing about them helped the community get over the hard times faced by them and bond. I loved many of the characters - the drama queen protagonist Juliet, the strong yet silent Dawsey, the humorous Susan (sadly, she gets too little space!), the eccentric Isola (who reads head bumps and wants to be Miss Marple!), the not-there-but-still-there courageous Elizabeth, the brother-sister duo of Sophie and Sidney. Even though the writing style is interesting, I did find that most of the voices of the letters read the same... a small con. While the novel is mostly delightful, it does give a glimpse of the cruelty endured by the people and the horrors of the concentration camps. However, despite the sadness and some shortcomings, the book managed to touch my heart and the book lover in me enjoyed reading it. ( )
  Megha17 | Jan 17, 2019 |
I borrowed it from the library and read on my kobo. Then I bought a paperback copy from the Book Depository because I just had to have it permanently to reread at some time and to lend out - but only to those friends who I know will give it back (you must). Does that say enough? I loved it. Made me smile a lot. ( )
1 vote IMSauman | Dec 31, 2018 |
I needed something light to read, in between the huge selection of dark books I've currently assigned myself for an upcoming book talk. A patron came in to the library looking for this, and I found two copies--I snatched the other one up!
I'd heard, in the past, that this was a great book, but I had no idea how great! It was absolutely DELIGHTFUL!!! The writing was perfect, the style and flow of the book was adorable, and every character made my heart smile! There were some laugh-out-loud moments, some sad moments, and some moments that really ticked me off.
A bonus: I had never known anything, before, about the Occupation.... this has spurred an interest in me and awoken the researcher in me. I'm anxious to learn more!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Dec 23, 2018 |
4.5 stars

A couple of years ago, upon a friend's relentless persuasion, I grabbed a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society at a used-books store. Since then, it has been steadily gathering dust on my bookshelf. This past weekend, I decided I wouldn't let other books distract me, and now I've come to know why everyone kept recommending The Guernsey Literary Society.

The book follows correspondence between Juliet Ashton, a London-based writer, and the residents of Guernsey island. During the German occupation of the island, some residents are caught breaking the curfew, and come up with a spur-of-the-moment coverup. They claim they are members of a literary society, and to furnish the lie with some truth, some of the residents drum up a book club of sorts. But what begins as a lie soon shapes into a dynamic literary society, with each member finding books/authors/genres that interest them.

Juliet, in search for her next book's subject, finds the accounts she receives from Guernsey very alluring. Through her, the readers too discover a charming community that survived the war with their courage, humour, empathy, compassion and their love for each other.

What I particularly loved about the book is how the format of letters to and from Juliet end up creating a very vivid picture of her and the other characters, without making it seem too obvious. It also does much justice to the lived experience of having been through a war. The book doesn't generalize the experience or the emotions that may come from it.

This book turned out to be a perfect weekend getaway for me, and the only issue I had with the book was the added romance between the lead characters. It didn't seem necessary to the plot, and the story of Guernsey would have been perfectly fine without it.

AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
Aww... very sweet. I enjoyed the letter-writing storytelling style and learned a lot about Guernsey, too. ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," written by the late Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, children's author Annie Barrows, stays within modest bounds, but is successful in ways many novels are not. This book won't change your life, but it will probably enchant you. And sometimes that's precisely what makes fiction worthwhile.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society commemorates beautiful spirits who pass through our midst and hunker undercover through brutal times. Shaffer's Guernsey characters step from the past radiant with eccentricity and kindly humour, a comic version of the state of grace. They are innocents who have seen and suffered, without allowing evil to penetrate the rind of decency that guards their humanity.

You could be skeptical about the novel's improbabilities and its sanitized portrait of book clubs (doesn't anyone read trashy thrillers?), but you'd be missing the point. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a sweet, sentimental paean to books and those who love them.

Shaffer, Mary Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

21 St. James's Place
London S.W.1
England

Dear Sidney,

Susan Scott is a wonder. We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, but much more thrilling from my standpoint was the food. Susan managed to procure ration coupons for icing sugar and real eggs for the meringue. If all her literary luncheons are going to achieve these heights, I won't mind touring about the country. Do you suppose that a lavish bonus could spur her on to butter? Let's try it—you may deduct the money from my royalties.
Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books. - Isola Pribby
Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life. - Isola Pribby
Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true. - Juliet
I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with. - Juliet
I think you learn more if you're laughing at the same time. - John Booker

Beginning at the end of WW2, this book is told through the form of letter between writer Juliet Ashton and her friends. Juliet initially receives a letter from a man on the island of Guernsey asking for more books. She becomes so in love with stories and descriptions of life in Guernsey that she decides to go herself. Through the letters she sends home and the letters from her new friends the stories of people's lives are revealed. This book points out that the lives of people were more important than the formality of the writing.
In post-war Britain
friendships are forged through a shared
love of literature.
(passion4reading)

January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:42 -0400)

As London is emerging from the shadow of World War II, writer Juliet Ashton discovers her next subject in a book club on Guernsey--a club born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi after its members are discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Ann Shaffer's book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

4 1933

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,672,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible