Sarah's Key (2007)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel d'Hiv' roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours. Paris, May 2002: On Vel d'Hiv's 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life.… (more)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes surrounding a journalist discovering the layers of secrets about a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (vulgarboatman)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both are novels that take place in Nazi-occupied France during WWII.
    The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (JGoto)
    JGoto: This book has the same format and setting, but is a much better novel. The past deals with the Huguenots in France rather than the persecution of Jews.
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)
    dara85: This also deals with the Holocaust. The book revolves around secrets that covers two generations.
    Shadows of a Childhood by Elisabeth Gille (smcwl)
    smcwl: In this novel, written by Irene Nemirovsky's daughter, a young girl in Paris during the Occupation successfully hides during a police search, then stays hidden by a convent girls school during the war. Memorable images of the hotel set up as a post-war hospital and center for finding lost family members. Highly recommend.… (more)
    The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick (cransell)
    cransell: This novel also deals with the Vichy period in France, the aftermath of events that had happened there, and family secrets. It's a great read, if you found that time period interesting.
    The Things We Cherished by Pam Jenoff (dara85)
    Ik schrijf u vanuit het Vel d'Hiv de teruggevonden briefjes van geïnterneerde joden in het Vélodrome d'Hiver van Parijs by Karen Taieb (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Ook Sarah werd naar het Vélodrome d'Hiver in Parijs gebracht voordat ze naar het concentratiekamp werd gedeporteerd. Tatiana de Rosnay heeft zelfs het voorwoord geschreven voor dit boek.
    Children of the Stars by Mario Escobar (Micheller7)
    The Girl From the Train by Irma Joubert (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Dit boek gaat ook over de tijd van de Holocaust

English (555)  Dutch (54)  Spanish (6)  French (6)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (625)
I had read so much about this book, but was disappointed that it just didn't deliver as promised. I liked the first part of the book, especially the parts taking place in 1942, but once the book started focusing on Julia, I lost interest and it took me awhile to even finish. The modern day characters were not at all fleshed out by the author, and the storyline felt contrived and even like a soap opera. It would have been a much better read if the author had just focused on the events in 1942, and eliminated telling Julia's story, which played out like a Lifetime movie. ( )
  lonetree1972 | Jun 1, 2021 |
For the most part, I enjoyed the book. I was much more engaged in the story of Sarah and my enjoyment definitely waned once Julia's portion took over fully. The second half of the book was too predictable and I was more than ready for it to end. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Julia is about to move into the apartment of her husband’s family, and finds herself researching the taking of Jewish families to concentration camps by french police during the war. So, two interwoven time-frames: that of Sarah, who hides her brother in a cupboard & is transported by the local french police that she knows, and contemporary Julia who researches the ghastly past and the way her french husband’s family profited and were affected by the Holocaust.

Heart-rending detail of children cruelly being separated from their mothers by cold-water blasts. But undermined by Julia, a present-day character it was difficult to warm to, found her a bit precious. ( )
  LARA335 | May 1, 2021 |
A great story with a little bit of everything: history, mystery, love, and international intrigue. Heartbreaking and heartwarming. The author also imbues her tale with a great sense of place, capturing what is probably the best and worst of Paris. All of the characters are vibrant, especially Julia. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Sarah's Key is one of those books that just wrecks you, and somehow changes you. I was always curious and full of need of knowledge when it came to this war and the camps. I always wondered why we never talked about it that much either in school or elsewhere. I am French and I can tell you that this book is right about the fact that we bury things, prefer to forget than to own up. I am sick to my core about what happened back then.

This book is a true masterpiece in every way. I was so not ready about the twist around Sarah. This poignant and touching book is a must read. You get attached to the characters easily and find yourself clinging to Julia, knowing she will be the one to get the answers.

I was putting off reading this book for whatever reason and decided to just start it yesterday and could not put it down. I needed to know about Sarah. And thinking about all of those children that died, that saw their parents die. It was awful.

Zakhor al tichkah. ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
"Tatiana de Rosnay offers a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround the painful episode in that country's history. De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Velodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz. Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tezac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vel' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers — especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive — the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. Already translated into 15 languages, the novel is De Rosnay's 10th (but her first written in English, her first language). It beautifully conveys Julia's conflicting loyalties, and makes Sarah's trials so riveting, her innocence so absorbing, that the book is hard to put down." Publishers Weekly (starred review)
added by nicole_a_davis | editPublisher's Weekly

This is without a doubt the best book I've ever read. I was actually reading it during finals today, and I reached the saddest part in the book and began to cry. This book touched me and made me think like no other book ever has.
added by tonystark444 | editDuluth News Tribune

Rosnay, Tatiana deprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggermont, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michaux, AgnèsTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pouwels, KittyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeulen, JorisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My God! What is this country doing to me? Because it has rejected me, let us consider it coldly, let us watch it lose its honor and its life. --Irene Nemirovsky, "Suite Francaise" -1942
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright In the forests of the night, What immortal hand or eye Could frame they fearful symmetry? --William Blake, "Songs of Experience"
To Stella, my mother
To my beautiful, rebellious Charlotte
In memory of Natacha, my grandmother (1914-2005)
The girl was the first to hear the loud pounding on the door. Her room was closest to the entrance of the apartment. At first, dazed with sleep, she thought it was her father, coming up from his hiding place in the cellar. He'd forgotten his keys, and was impatient because nobody had heard his first, timid knock. But then came the voices, strong and brutal in the silence of the night. Nothing to do with her father. "Police! Open up! Now!"
Listening to Joshua, I realized how little I knew about what happened in Paris in July 1942. I hadn't learned about it in class back in Boston. And since I had come to Paris twenty-five years ago, I had not read much about it. It was like a secret. Something buried in the past. Something no one mentioned.
There had been over four thousand Jewish children penned in the Vel' d'Hiv', aged between two and twelve. Most of the children were French, born in France.
None of them came back from Auschwitz.
On July 16 and 17, 1942, 13,152 Jews were arrested in Paris and the suburbs, deported and assassinated at Auschwitz. In the Velodrome d'Hiver that once stood on this spot, 1,129 men, 2,916 women, and 4,115 children were packed here in inhuman conditions by the government of the Vichy police, by order of the Nazi occupant. May those who tried to save them be thanked. Passerby, never forget!

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard -- their secret hiding place -- and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty Years Later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research Julia stumbles onto a trail of family secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tatiana de Rosnay's book Sarah's Key was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,022,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible