A Place of Hiding (2003)

by Elizabeth George

Series: Lynley & Havers (12)

An isolated beach on the island of Guernsey in the English Channel is the scene of the murder of Guy Brouard, one of Guernsey's wealthiest inhabitants and its main benefactor. Forced as a child to flee the Nazis in Paris, Brouard was engaged in his latest project when he died: a museum in honor of those who resisted the German occupation of the island during World War II. It is from this period of time that his murderer may well have come. But there are others on Guernsey with reason to want Guy Brouard dead: his wives, his business associates, his current mistress, the underprivileged teenagers he mentored--any of whom might have harbored a secret motive for murder. As family and friends gather for the reading of the will, Deborah and Simon St. James find that seemingly everyone on the history-haunted island has something to hide. And behind all the lies and alibis, a killer is lurking. In order to bring this person to justice, the St. James must delve into Guernsey's dark history--both past and present--and into the troubled psyche of someone who may have exacted retribution for the most unspeakable crime of all. Novelist Elizabeth George marks new territory in the darker landscapes of human relationships. She tells a gripping, suspenseful story of betrayal and devotion, war and remembrance, love and loss ... and the higher truths to which we must all ultimately answer.… (more)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books deal with the occupation of Guernsey by the Nazis.

English (37)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Latvian (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
"I really missed Lynley & Havers in this part. The story itself was good but a little bit too long"
https://elinevandm.wordpress.com/2022/03/08/zijn-laatste-wil-van-elizabeth-georg... ( )
  elinevandm | Mar 31, 2022 |
Deborah and St. James investigate on Guernsey
  ritaer | Jul 9, 2021 |
Can you call it an Inspector Lynley novel when he is barely in it? I think he has three lines. Maybe four. Following Deborah and Simon was painful. Also Deborah is just the worst. I got nothing anymore on her. I swear George must take pleasure of having her being okay in the first couple of books to turning her into a selfish brat. I don't get why anyone wants to deal with her.

"A Place of Hiding" follows Deborah who is reeling for a less than fantastic photography exhibit. She rails on Simon cause of course. Then a knock at the door brings an old friend from her time in California, Cherokee River. Cherokee has come to ask for help since his sister, China, River has been accused of murdering a wealthy elderly man, Guy Brouard. Cherokee came into contact with Guy when he was asked to deliver a package with the request that two people bring it. Cherokee cannot understand why anyone thinks that his sister did the murder since she has no reason to since she just met Guy a few weeks back.

Deborah being the worst, wants to go and investigate even though the local Guernsey police are dealing with it. Simon goes along to help and the two of them are doing their own unofficial investigation. Deborah doesn't listen and wants to show Simon she's not a child (really girl? really?) and then goes off and makes matters worse it seems as the book goes on. Deborah starts to see how China and even Cherokee view her and starts to wonder about her friendships with the two of them.

Simon is Simon, focusing on the evidence and being logically and also rightfully angry at Deborah because of some of the actions she took.

There is a cast of thousands in this book. It was hard to track everyone. Let's just say everyone had a motive to kill Guy and he sucked. I won't reveal who the killer was and why, but I have to say it was an awesome reveal and I loved what it meant.

The writing is just jumbled in this one. So was the flow. I gave up trying to keep certain people straight and started skimming in some parts.

That said, the ending once again seemed a bit flat. I wish it had ended on Simon and Deborah and not a secondary character who I forgot was in the book at that point. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I liked this book until the denouement. Not what I imagined. Did not make sense to me. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Jun 25, 2020 |
Auf der britischen Kanalinsel Guernsey wird der Millionär und Mäzen Guy Brouard ermordet aufgefunden. Die junge Amerikanerin China gerät in Mordverdacht. Ihre Freundin Deborah stellt gemeinsam mit ihrem Mann, dem engsten Vertrauten von Chief Inspector Lynley, Nachforschungen an. Doch je tiefer sie in die verschworene Inselgemeinschaft eintauchen, desto mehr Personen entdecken sie, die auf irgendeine Weise in den Mord verstrickt sind...
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
In one respect, indeed, our employment
may be reckoned dishonest, because, like great Statesmen,
we encourage those who betray their friends.

The Beggar's Opera,
John Gay.
This is a book about siblings and
I dedicate it to my own,

Robert Rivelle George,

with love and with admiration
for his talent, wit and wisdom.
Santa Ana winds were no friends of photography, but that was something you could not tell and egomaniacal architect who belived his entire reputation rested upon capturing for posterity - and for Architectural Digest - fifty two thousand square feet of unfinished hillside sprawl today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,557,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible