dismiss

Night (1958)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

Night offers a personal and unforgettable account of the appalling horrors of Hitler's reign of terror. Through the eyes of 14-year-old Eliezer, we behold the tragic fate of the Jews from the little town of Sighet. Even as they are stuffed into cattle cars bound for Auschwitz, the townspeople refuse to believe rumors of anti-Semitic atrocities. Not until they are marched toward the blazing crematory at the camp's "reception center" does the terrible truth sink in.… (more)
Read (18)
To Read (23)
Europe (45)

English (487)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (497)
Night is a haunting memoir.

I had only the barest of memories about this work from when it was assigned reading in high school, that summer between 8th and 9th grade when the world seemed full of possibilities. I remember reading this book and ... it left enough of an impression on me that I remembered it, but I think I was too young to fully appreciated the horror of it.

While I cannot begin to understand the pain of the Jewish people during the Holocaust, I am so grateful for the courage it must have taken Elie Wiesel to write Night. The bravery it takes anyone to speak about their trauma. Genocide is trauma on a particular level and I just... wow. It's such a difficult read because of the pain that bleeds through the words. A necessary pain we must know. We must remember. We must never forget.

This memoir is written like a story being told in an interview. It doesn't have the gravity and world building of many things. Unfortunately, the horrors of WWII are part of our cultural consciousness, and even then, we do not fully grasp the pain of the Holocaust. As far as flow and length and language, this is a very accessible read, and I do understand why it was assigned to me at a freshman English level. I think this is a piece that needs to be read, and re-read. It's a story we need to carve into our bones because it is a story that must be remembered. While it's easy to read from a purely technical standpoint, it's difficult to stomach. As an adult, I have a greater appreciation for this.

If you've never read Night, it's really one of those book your must read before you die. Elie Wiesel's first-hand account of the dehumanizing horror he experienced during WWII is a reminder and a warning. It's very powerful, humbling read and I have so much respect for this work. As a reader, as an historian, and as a human being... I recommend it. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 21, 2020 |
According to the foreword this is a condensation of a much longer book. In some cases it would be nice to know a little more. Like the synagogue beadle who escaped an early deportation and returned to the village and told everyone the fate that awaited them. What was their reaction? And why didn't they believe him?

My favorite scene is in Dr. Mengele's sick clinic, obviously a place patients would want to vacate as soon as possible especially since the Red Army is closing in. The author is sixteen, sick and bedridden and in the bed next to him is an old Jew who keeps saying "Only Hitler kept his promises to the Jews." But they both survived. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |
I read this in high school and my review on here was three stars. That was clearly influenced by the fact that I hated high school, because upon rereading I definitely had to review it again. The prose is beautiful in its perfect simplicity and though the subject matter is, of course, disturbing, it is essential. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
One of the most heartbreaking holocaust stories I have ever read.
  4leschats | Jul 15, 2020 |
This book was good,completely deserves 5-star rating.
There were times when I stopped reading and just thought "Why?" There is no good explanation.

The people that are mentioned in this book endured so much.And the author of this book is one of them. ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Night ( [1960]English)
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora

E.W.
This new translation

in memory of

my grandparents, Abba, Sarah, and Hachman,

who also vanished into that night

M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.

An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,258,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible