Night (1955)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

Night offers a personal and unforgettable account of the appalling horrors of Hitler's reign of terror. Through the eyes of 14-year-old Eliezer, we behold the tragic fate of the Jews from the little town of Sighet. Even as they are stuffed into cattle cars bound for Auschwitz, the townspeople refuse to believe rumors of anti-Semitic atrocities. Not until they are marched toward the blazing crematory at the camp's "reception center" does the terrible truth sink in.… (more)
Europe (1)
1950s (104)
Read (18)
To Read (23)

English (515)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Greek (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (527)
Elie was a teenager, a Talmud scholar, in 1944 when the SS arrived in his town. He and his family were taken to the concentration camps, where they endured unimaginable suffering. He and his father manage to stay together, but his father will not live to see liberation. Before the war ends, Elie sees the death of his family, his innocence, and his faith.

A moving and important work. After reading Maus, I realized that this was another primary source on the Holocaust that I had not yet read, so I addressed that issue. It's a powerful book that everyone should read. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 26, 2022 |
This was a very difficult book to read. I did not like reading it, but I am glad I did. It was very well written. It's amazing what abhorrent things humans can do to other human beings, which is why the people were unable to believe that it was imminent or even possible; if they had, they might have avoided it. Perhaps enough other people will read this book so that if/when it happens again, we can watch for it and stop it quickly. Humans CAN be monstrous; it is not impossible, not even difficult for some to envision. It is important for everyone to be aware of this and guard against it... ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
Audiobook.

Hard to listen to, but important to hear and witness the evil that grows from fanatical control.

This version included Wiesel’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech from 1986 (or ‘84, can’t remember the year, now) and his preface to this newer translation. ( )
  AMKitty | Feb 23, 2022 |
A review for this book would not do it justice, and it just doesn't feel right to even try. The way he tells his story is captivating, even though you know more or less how the story is going to end. His passion, anger, brutal honestly, love, hurt, are felt plenty of times throughout this book and this author has a gift of expressing his emotion in a way the reader can almost get a sense of how he felt at the time. Wow, great book. When I went to go pick up my poboys for dinner from R&O's, a couple younger people, a guy and a girl, acknowledged my book and said how much they enjoyed it. (Whenever I go somewhere where I am expecting to wait, something like food or the pharmacy, I'll bring whatever book I'm reading at the time and read while I wait on whatever it is. Because I'm cool like that, that's why.) ( )
  swmproblems | Feb 12, 2022 |
"Most people thought that we would remain in the ghetto until the end of the war,until the arrival of the Red army.Afterword, everything would be as before.The ghetto was ruled by neither German nor Jew;it was ruled by delusion."

The last sentence sums up the treachery of hope in face of peril for the thousands of Jews in that small village of Sighet,who had just been forced out of their homes to live in a ghetto , still oblivious of their fate that would soon place them in the hell of Auschwitz concentration camp in matter of days.

This book explains quite vividly the height of human cruelty , be it the Nazis of Germany or the denizens of their own country who threw bread crusts to the cattles of prisoners only to watch them fight among themselves for a crumb ,or a son beating his own father for a slice of bread .We have to remember the events ,so we don't forget what we as a society of "humans" are capable of doing to our own. ( )
  RupaliP29 | Feb 11, 2022 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Wiesel, Elieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
ROSENBLATT, JeffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SPARKS, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
VOGELMANN, Danielsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WIESEL, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora

E.W.
This new translation

in memory of

my grandparents, Abba, Sarah, and Hachman,

who also vanished into that night

M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.

An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

4 1914

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,969,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible