Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity

by Elizabeth Wein

Series: Young Pilots (1), Code Name Verity (1)

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (292)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (294)
This book really grew on me as I progressed and as I became aware of how complex it actually was. Almost want to read it again (especially the first half) through the lens of a second reading. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
"Kiss me HARDY! Kiss me QUICK!"

This book tore apart my emotions. It wasn't even from angst or romance, but from how beautifully portrayed the friendship between these two very different girls was. Verity is beautiful, poised, and a smooth-talker with the men. Kittyhawk is passionate about flying, devoted to the task at hand and what she has to do. And yet, despite their differences, they are the closest of friends. Why can't we have more books about friendship?

To make this easier, Verity is Julie and Kittyhawk is Maddie, and for the first half, Julie is writing; the second, Maddie takes over. Julie has been captured by the Gestapo at Ormaie during a secret mission into Nazi-ridden France. Now that she has been captured, the only way to escape is simple. To tell the truth. Julie recounts how she met Maddie through a series of journal entries, from Maddie's realization she wanted to be a pilot up to the point they parted ways.

Maddie is the pilot who brought Julie to her mission, and since the plan has gone awry, it's up to her to find her best friend. But can both of them escape Ormaie alive?

Check out the rest of my review here at Wonderland Novels! ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
RGG: Very confusing story about a friendship between a female pilot and a female spy in WWII German-occupied France. The amount of contextual knowledge needed about war-time England and France maye be too much for most students. The story does become compelling if one makes sense of it and sticks with it. Reading Level: YA+
  rgruberhighschool | Sep 23, 2017 |
This book is so important. For me, because of this line:

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend."

I just finished this and I'm emotional in that I've bawled my bloody eyes out and I can't remember the last time I've cried so hard over a book before in my life. There are tear stains on page 319 from the person that checked this book out before me and page 319 is where I absolutely lost it and had to step away and let myself cry. This is difficult to review because so much of the story was so interwoven and I don't want to spoil anything at all so I'll keep this relatively short. This is a book about two extraordinary ladies and their friendship. This is more important than any romance a person could recommend for me to read (not that romance is bad, I obviously enjoy romance in novels. I just enjoy friendship more ). This is about a brave Scottish girl breaking under the weight of torture by the hands of the Nazis and telling the story of how she met an extraordinary pilot-slash-mechanic. And ultimately, how an extraordinary pilot-slash-mechanic did the unthinkable for her best friend.

I love historical fiction but generally avoid it because of inaccuracies or moments when history is discarded to let plot and fiction take its course. This book probably has more technical jargon than one would care to read but it made it all the more enriching. It made it all so painfully real. The narration of this book was just as raw as you would expect from a girl weighted down by the force of her treason in complying with the enemy. It was also technically stunning, as she's writing about her best friend, about Maddie, more than she's writing her own story. It's a book about war and espionage and lady pilots and friendship, most of all friendship. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Absolutely loved this book. I'm just sad that I didn't take the time to read it the first time I checked it out of the library. I was sucked into the world of a woman pilot and her best friend during World War II. I laughed and I cried. I cheered and I cringed. This novel brought out all the emotions, which only means it was a great novel. Can't wait to start into the second book! ( )
  Jacquiec2687 | Sep 12, 2017 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

During World War II, a female civilian pilot and a female espionage agent form an unbreakable bond of friendship even as they find their lives threatened in Occupied France.
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,658,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible