Code Name Verity

by Elizabeth Wein

Series: Young Pilots (1), Code Name Verity (1)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Tamar by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    In The Blood Of The Greeks by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (337)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (339)
This book was fantastic. The writing was lovely, the characters engaging, and the story engaging. Highly recommended.

I read the audiobook version, and the narrators were wonderful. I was really brought in by their voices. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
3.75*
It took me FOREVER to get through the beginning section of the book. The writing style of the first section told from Julie's point of view was difficult to get into - part of it might have been purposeful to show that the events she was going through were making it difficult for her to write, and part of it might have been purposeful to show that she was writing on paper products that were not useful in telling a story (recipe cards and prescription pads). Either way, it took me what felt like weeks to get through the first section, but then only several days to get through the section that was told from Maddie's point of view.

This would have made the book more like a 3 or 3.5* star rating for me, however, that ending nearly made me cry. Some of my misgivings about rating the book lower were redeemed through the ending which is why I ended up giving it 4* on Goodreads and an official 3.75* in my head. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
4.25 stars

The things I loved about this book:

The mode of narrative: I love the meandering, epsiodic first person narrations interlaced with the present day interludes. It tells the story, it conveys impact and does an excellent job of keeping the reader hooked.

The setting: The WW2 setting was great in the way it pulled no punches. The little hints at the torture, the overall impact created by the prison and the conditions - they felt right.

The unconventional theme: I must say this attracted my attention to a rather badly ignored aspect of WW2 aviation. Something to research!

What I did not completely like: The second half. It felt a bit disjointed and loose after the taut first half. While it was quite thrilling to put together the narrative from the first half I did not appreciate some of the digressions.

I quite liked the ending. It felt in tune with the overall tone of the book ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
“Verity” has been captured by the Germans. Held in a converted hotel in France she is tortured and forced to give up all her secrets. But in her confession and her report on all her secrets she begins to tell the tale of how she ended up at the mercy of the Nazis. How she and her best friend Maddie met, their path through the war and into active service. Even if Maddie technically shouldn’t have been the pilot of that plane. How they ended up crashing and how she has fared since becoming imprisoned.

he writes that she is a coward and a traitor. That she wasn’t able to keep the truth from the Nazis. That she has betrayed her country.

And can I just say that she writes very convincingly. Yes, the plot device that leads her to writing her story is a bit forced, but nevertheless it works. She never goes into details about the torture and punishment that she undergoes, but you feel it nevertheless. The humiliation as well as the agony are obvious in what she doesn’t say as well as what she does.

I loved this story. Verity, not her real name of course, is wonderful. And Maddie is just so brilliant. I loved them both.

I’ve never read Elizabeth Wein before, but even before I was half way through this I had ordered a copy in for the library where I work, I hope people pick it up because I think that it is a hugely enjoyable story. And now that I’ve finished it I want to read more by Wein. Luckily it does seem that she has earlier books out so I shall have to investigate. ( )
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |
It makes me sad to say this, but I didn't love it. Wein has long been one of my favourite authors, solely on the merit of "The Winter Prince," so I look forward to any new work of hers with great anticipation. This book is well written, detailed (perhaps overly so), and has two fascinating female leads. But were it not for Wein's name on the cover, I would not have picked it up or stuck with it through the end. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)
Fly the plane, Maddie.

During World War II, a female civilian pilot and a female espionage agent form an unbreakable bond of friendship even as they find their lives threatened in Occupied France.
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth.
(octopedingenue)

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,946,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible