Chains

by Laurie Halse Anderson

Series: Seeds of America (1)

3,1932083,187 (4.18)87
After being sold to a cruel couple in New York City, a slave named Isabel spies for the rebels during the Revolutionary War.

Loved this book so much that I read the second one as well ( )
  J_sweeeney26 | Aug 8, 2021 |
The story of two young slaves, who instead of being set free as promised by their deceased owner, are sold to a horrible woman and her Tory husband, uprooted to NY City, and dropped into the middle of the Revolutionary War. Always heart-rendering, we feel Isabel's pain and torment as she slowly and inexorably becomes involved in supporting the rebels. ( )
1 vote skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This young adult novel was outstanding. Laurie Halse Anderson pulls no punches in the topics she chooses to write about. Isabel is a narrator who pulls a reader into the story with her simple wording and prickly personality. I just love her. ( )
  RobertaLea | Jul 10, 2021 |
This book is about a young slave named isobel who lived during the revolutionary war. This books shows the struggle slaves went though during this time. Her and her sister go though many trials. ( )
  Rmg052 | Apr 26, 2021 |
Isabel and her little sister Ruth are slaves in 1770s America. They are sold by a malicious stranger when their master dies and go to New York City to live with their new owners the Locktons. Madam Lockton is cruel and as revolution breaks out Isabel must fight to overcome the obstacles put in place to keep her enslaved in order to survive. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |

Laurie Halse Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leigh, MadisunReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Abigail Adams

once described her husband, John, as
him whom my Heart esteems
above all earthly things.

I understand that feeling.
That's why this book is dedicated
to my beloved husband,
Scot.
The best time to talk to ghosts is just before the sun comes up.
"When the fat moon rose the next night, I planted the mystery seeds I had taken from Momma's jar. I did not know what they would grow into, but planting them deep in the cool dirt was a comfort."
"A scar is sign of strength, he said quietly. The sign of a survivor. "

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,187,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible