Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

Chains

by Laurie Halse Anderson

Series: Seeds of America (1)

2,5411923,437 (4.19)86
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume I: The Pox Party by M. T. Anderson (VaterOlsen, legxleg)
    legxleg: Both are YA books about slaves during the Revolutionary War
    Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson (girlfromshangrila)
    girlfromshangrila: This is an ongoing series. Chains is the first part, and Forge the second. Chains tells the story from Isabel's perspective. Forge picks up where Chains left, and is told from Curzon's perspective.
    The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox (SandSing7)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bells of Freedom by Dorothy Gilman Butters (infiniteletters)
    A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl by Patricia C. Mckissack (meggyweg)
    The Color of Fire by Ann Rinaldi (rebecca191)

This riveting book begins on May 27th, 1776 and told from the perspective of a 13 year old slave named Isabel. Trying to protect her younger sister alone in New York during the British invasion Isabel examines our founding fathers and our history from a perceptive not typically examined.
  lummigirl | Jul 24, 2018 |
This historical fiction follows Isabel a 13 year old slave during the American Revolution. Isabel's master is killed and she ends up a slave for a British couple in New York. She meets up with fellow slaves who are part of the revolution and she begins to join their side. A great work of historical fiction that students find entertaining and provides a lot of context for 8th grade US History. ( )
  ShawnStipic | Jul 21, 2018 |
Isabel lives in the time of the beginnings of revolution in America. It is 1776 so you know things are about to go down. She's just a lost little girl trying to take of her slow sister who everyone thinks is a little bit odd if not amusing. She also has bursts of something else that I'll leave out because I liked the surprise and it will surprise you. Her mother died earlier on and now that her master (grumble grumble...) has died she has to go with someone else. But wait she was given freedom but there is no way to prove it. So sadly she is sold again to the Lockton's. You will grow to hate the "lady of the house" soon enough. What she does... SHE MADE ME SOOO ANGRY. IT WAS RIDICULOUS. That's the problem with reading historical fiction. It's not that bad. I have read worse I think. It was muted down to what it could have been I think.

On there arrival to New York which was going to be Isabel's and her sister Ruth's new home they meet a boy well... Isabel meets Curzon. Oh Curzon. He asks her to spy on the Lockton's because they are known to be Liberals (for the crown) while he and his you know what is for the Rebels. They are for the Americans. She just wants to protect her sister and earn her freedom. She does not want to get in between a war that won't be able to solve any problems for her. But, she soon is forced to become a pawn in this revolution.

Throughout the story it talks about events, quotes, and other things pertaining to that exact time in America. I really liked reading that in the beginning of each chapter because it gave you a sense of what's going to happen. I love Isabel. She is one of my favorite heroines from a book. She's just the greatest. I cannot describe to you how fantastic this book is and this coming from a person who does not read historical fiction! This is a truly fantastic book that deserves praise from everyone and everyone should read it.

AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
If you want your kids to learn about American History, this is the book they should read! This is the first book in a trilogy about this period.

Set during the Revolutionary War, the story centers around two sisters, Isabel and Ruth, sold to a couple who have pledged their loyalty to the King. While enduring horrible conditions and abuse from her owners, Isabel becomes a spy for the Patriots, in hopes of securing freedom for her and Ruth.

Anderson gives readers a interesting look into what life was like when America was a newborn country. A must read for history buffs. The author really did her research for this one. ( )
  amyghilton | May 29, 2018 |
Good story about two young slaves during the American Revolution. Lots of very sad moments though. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Laurie Halse Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leigh, MadisunReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Abigail Adams

once described her husband, John, as
him whom my Heart esteems
above all earthly things.

I understand that feeling.
That's why this book is dedicated
to my beloved husband,
Scot.
The best time to talk to ghosts is just before the sun comes up.
"When the fat moon rose the next night, I planted the mystery seeds I had taken from Momma's jar. I did not know what they would grow into, but planting them deep in the cool dirt was a comfort."
"A scar is sign of strength, he said quietly. The sign of a survivor. "

After being sold to a cruel couple in New York City, a slave named Isabel spies for the rebels during the Revolutionary War.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,962,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible