Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Life After Life

by Kate Atkinson

Series: Todd Family (1)

5,6484641,104 (4.02)2 / 852
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Yells, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (fspyck, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Life after Life and Replay feature characters who live multiple lives against their wills; the complications of dying and coming back to life form the core of each novel and create moving, sometimes funny, always thought-provoking situations.… (more)
    Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both have unusual narrative structures and explore the theme of reincarnation.
    A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson (Laura400)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (rstaedter)
    rstaedter: A different concept, but nonetheless also brilliantly written and with the Blitz as backdrop.
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both books examine decisions and moments that change the course of a life.
    A Tale for the Time Being: A Novel by Ruth L. Ozeki (bibliothequaire)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt (kiwiflowa)
    The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (fairyfeller, pan0ramix)
    fairyfeller: Explores the same concept of one person living the same over and over.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (VenusofUrbino)
    Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson (shaunie, KayCliff)
    Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similar time in history. A story of 2 sisters during the Second World War.

English (455)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (463)
I started this book interested but my interest quickly wained as I read. I finally gave up about 200 pages in. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This was a very readable book - I devoured a lot more pages in a sitting than I often have with books. Without spoiling too much of the plot, suffice to say that it's set mostly around the era of WWII and is based on the premise of what if you had multiple chances to make different choices in life.

The major positives of this book for me were that Atkinson created great characters, and her portrayal of the horrors of the Blitz was very affecting. On the negative, the scenes in Germany didn't work for me. I think the book was strong enough with the themes occurring in England, and the German story verged on the ridiculous which took away from how good the novel was otherwise.

For me this was a good, highly enjoyable read, but probably not one that's taken a special literary place in my heart.

4 stars - a rollicking good read. I just wish Atkinson hadn't got so carried away with her plot. ( )
  AlisonY | Aug 9, 2018 |
I would recommend this book....confusing at times, but thought provoking, and smart and clever and beautifully written. The story of the blitz on London during WWII was so well written it was a story on it's own. Ursula grows and continues to relive her life with different results (some of those lives were incredibly haunting) and feelings of deja vu and a sixth sense throughout. I love Kate Atkinson's writing style and her descriptions of bombs falling on London were so vivid and breathtaking. I loved this booked, even though I was well into it before I felt like I was getting it, it was well worth my time. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
Magnificent! Excellent storytelling, superb plot, engaging characters, vivid language. This was an amazing book by an author I'm sure to continue to follow. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
The entire book is about how different factors and events in Ursula's life changes it with the most important one being World War 2. We see her life over and over again, first she keeps dying and has to restart her life, but because she vaguely knows that by doing the action that killed her last time she gets a feeling to stay away from that or has to change something in that moment. I liked that, it was also clear where the story was going, she's going to prevent World War 2. I liked that she figured this out on her own and it wasn't really explained why she kept dying and coming back, i.e., it wasn't some master plan and didn't take a sci-fi turn. We have a large amount of the book dedicated to how different choices affect her life during World War 2 and she figures out the best way to prevent these out comes is to kill Hitler. When she finally does it she kills herself! What was the point then? She didn't come back and do it again. So we never see the results of her killing Hitler, thus making this whole book pointless especially since she restarts her life again and didn't kill Hitler that time (nothing indicates in the final life we see that she did kill Hitler again and WWII happened anyways). Either end it with her killing Hitler and she doesn't come back because she fulfilled her purpose or keep having her come back to kill Hitler. I liked the characters and how they changed and didn't change throughout different scenario's for Ursula's life. Other then the characters I was very disappointed with the ending of the book because the rest of the book was very well done. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
I absolutley loved Life After Life. It's so brilliant and existential, and I really responded to all of the 'what ifs' and 'if onlys' that she plays with.
added by Sylak | editStylist [Issue 338], Emily Blunt (Oct 12, 2016)

Atkinson’s juggling a lot at once — and nimbly succeeds in keeping the novel from becoming confusing.

For the other extraordinary thing is that, despite the horrors, this is a warm and humane book. This is partly because the felt sense of life is so powerful and immediate. Whatever the setting, it has been thoroughly imagined. Most of the characters are agreeable. They speak well and often wittily. When, like Ursula’s eldest brother, Maurice, they are not likeable, they are treated in the spirit of comedy. The humour is rich. Once you have adapted yourself to the novel’s daring structure and accepted its premise that life is full of unexplored possibilities, the individual passages offer a succession of delights. A family saga? Yes, but a wonderful and rewarding variation on a familiar form.

This is, without doubt, Atkinson’s best novel since her prizewinning debut, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, and a serious step forwards to realising her ambition to write a contemporary version of Laurence Sterne’s Tristram Shandy. A ferociously clever writer, she has recast her interest in mothers and daughters and the seemingly unimportant, quotidian details of life to produce a big, bold novel that is enthralling, entertaining and experimental. It is not perfect – the second half of the book, for example, could have done with one less dead end – but I would be astonished if it does not carry off at least one major prize.

Aficionados of Kate Atkinson's novels – this is the eighth – will tell you that she writes two sorts: the "literary" kind, exemplified by her Whitbread Prize-winning debut Behind the Scenes at the Museum, and the Jackson Brodie crime thrillers. In reality, the distinction is superfluous. Atkinson is a literary writer who likes experimenting with different forms, and her books appeal to a huge audience, full stop. However, for those still keen on these discriminations, Life After Life is one of the "literary" ones. As with the Brodies, Atkinson steers with a light touch, despite the grimness of the subject matter...The novels of Kate Atkinson habitually shuffle past and present, but Life After Life takes the shuffling to such extremes that the reader has to hold on to his hat. It's more than a storytelling device. Ursula and her therapist discuss theories of time. He tells her that it is circular, but she claims that it's a palimpsest. The writer has a further purpose. Elsewhere, Atkinson is quoted as saying: "I'm very interested in the moral path, doing the right thing." It's impossible not to be sympathetic toward Ursula, who yearns to save the people she loves and has been blessed – or cursed – with the ability to do it.

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woolgar, FenellaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What if some day or night a demon were to steal you after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you:'This life as you now live and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more"...Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him:"You are a god and never have I heard anything so divine.'

Nietzsche, The Gay Science
Everything changes and nothing remains still.

Plato, Cratylus
For Elissa
A fug of tobacco smoke and damp clammy air hit her as she entered the café.
"It's as if," he said to Ursula, "you walk into a room and your life ends but you keep on living."
"All those names," Teddy said, gazing at the Cenotaph. "All those lives. And now again. I think there is something wrong with the human race. It undermines everything one would like to believe in, don't you think?"

"No point in thinking," she said briskly, "you just have to get on with life." (She really was turning into Miss Woolf.) "We only have one after all, we should try and do our best. We can never get it right, but we must try." (The transformation was complete.)

"What if we had a chance to do it again and again," Teddy said, "until we finally did get it right? Wouldn't that be wonderful?"

What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right? During a snowstorm in England in 1910, a baby is born and dies before she can take her first breath. During a snowstorm in England in 1910, the same baby is born and lives to tell the tale. What if there were second chances? And third chances? In fact an infinite number of chances to live your life? Would you eventually be able to save the world from its own inevitable destiny? And would you even want to? Life After Life follows Ursula Todd as she lives through the turbulent events of the last century again and again. With wit and compassion, Kate Atkinson finds warmth even in life's bleakest moments, and shows an extraordinary ability to evoke the past. Here she is at her most profound and inventive, in a novel that celebrates the best and worst of ourselves.
birth, death, birth again/
mistakes erased, perfected/
can we change the world?
(kswiggum)
Born again, often
Kinda like a palimpsest
Does that explain life?
(pickupsticks)
Ursula would die
To go on having birthdays
And she does, often
(pickupsticks)

"What if you could live again and again, until you got it right? On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born to an English banker and his wife. She dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in a variety of ways, while the young century marches on towards its second cataclysmic world war. Does Ursula's apparently infinite number of lives give her the power to save the world from its inevitable destiny? And if she can -- will she? Darkly comic, startlingly poignant, and utterly original -- this is Kate Atkinson at her absolute best"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,815,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible