Recursion

by Blake Crouch

2,3981635,400 (4)83
Memory makes reality. That's what NYC cop Barry Sutton is learning, as he investigates the devastating phenomenon the media has dubbed False Memory Syndrome?a mysterious affliction that drives its victims mad with memories of a life they never lived. That's what neuroscientist Helena Smith believes. It's why she's dedicated her life to creating a technology that will let us preserve our most precious memories. If she succeeds, anyone will be able to re-experience a first kiss, the birth of a child, the final moment with a dying parent. As Barry searches for the truth, he comes face to face with an opponent more terrifying than any disease?a force that attacks not just our minds, but the very fabric of the past. And as its effects begin to unmake the world as we know it, only he and Helena, working together, will stand a chance at defeating it. But how can they make a stand when reality itself is shifting and crumbling all around them? At once a relentless pageturner and an intricate science-fiction puzzlebox about time, identity, and memory, Recursion is a thriller as only Blake Crouch could imagine it?and his most ambitious, mind-boggling, irresistible work to date.… (more)
    Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen (Jayeless)
    Jayeless: Both are time travel thrillers packing a hefty emotional punch, with Kin and Barry being similar characters, and their family lives being important to the story. Humanistic sci-fi FTW
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (rstaedter)
    rstaedter: A similar concept, but Crouch's approach is a different one.

I don't understand Crouch's insistence on trying to pull of successful romantic plot lines. Why is it necessary for a good scifi thriller to have a over arching romance subplot? It detracted from Recursion, as well as from Dark Matter. I really like the concepts but the executions just feel limp.

Entertaining enough, but nothing I'll be thinking about two days from now. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
Interesting concepts about memory and time, and how messing around with both/either can have catastrophic consequences. I didn't think the world building nor the character development were particularly strong, but it was definitely an entertaining story. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Nov 14, 2022 |
Set primarily in 2007-2019, this book follows protagonist Barry, a NYC detective, and Helena, an inventor of a machine that can map and retrieve a person’s memories. The use of this machine can result in an unforeseen side-effect called False Memory Syndrome. Finding out how these false memories occur is part of the enjoyment of this book, so I recommend going into it with as little information as possible.

It starts out relatively even-paced, but toward the end becomes extremely fast-paced, almost frantic. It is a mind-bending science fiction about preserving memories and using those memories to shift our reality. It requires concentration to follow the many time shifts. I do not normally care for suspense-thrillers, but I enjoyed this one. The only drawback is that it gets a bit repetitive in places.

This book is based on an intriguing concept. I found it original, compelling, and thought-provoking. It makes us think about how we experience time. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
I've read a few books by Blake Crouch now and enjoyed them, as a rule. I've never *loved* them, but they've all been good, you know? Enjoyable reads. Well, I was excited to pick up this one, especially as it won the Goodreads Best Science Fiction of 2019 vote, beating some brilliant books. I wasn't expecting what I got!
I loved this book. I loved how it felt clever and unexpected while just keeping inside my suspension of disbelief radius. I enjoyed the characters, mostly pretty realistic feeling characters, with just a couple being not very fleshed out, by the nature of the book. It snuck surprise romace in in a sweet but thought-provoking way, and the thrills and excitement, especially for the big finale (and it's definitely a go-big-or-go-home finale to this one). Great description, I could see every grim moment in my minds eye (so yeah, uh, thanks for that, ew). Yeah, I basically loved this, had a great time reading, it didn't get bogged down in the science stuff, and was just such a fascinating idea using memories to time travel recursively and what impact that would have not only on the individuals concerned but on all of humanity. I'm very pleased this was my first book of 2020 and it helped, as I've upped my reading challenge to a frankly ridiculous-for-me 110 for this year and it pretty much forced me to read it really quickly as it was so exciting and interesting. I'd recommend it unreservedly. ( )
  clairefun | Oct 30, 2022 |
  clairefun | Oct 27, 2022 |

Blake Crouchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craden, AbbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindstrom, JonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Time is but memory in the making. - Vladimir Nabokov
For Jacque
Barry Sutton pulls over into the fire lane at the main entrance of the Poe Building, an Art Deco tower glowing white in the illumination of its exterior sconces.
This is the novel.

Reality is broken.

At first, it looks like a disease. An epidemic that spreads through no known means, driving its victims mad with memories of a life they never lived. But the force that’s sweeping the world is no pathogen. It’s just the first shock wave, unleashed by a stunning discovery—and what’s in jeopardy is not our minds but the very fabric of time itself.

In New York City, Detective Barry Sutton is closing in on the truth—and in a remote laboratory, neuroscientist Helena Smith is unaware that she alone holds the key to this mystery . . . and the tools for fighting back.

Together, Barry and Helena will have to confront their enemy—before they, and the world, are trapped in a loop of ever-growing chaos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,190,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible