Cloud Atlas (2004)

by David Mitchell

16,307647270 (4.1)4 / 1403
Recounts the connected stories of people from the past and the distant future, from a nineteenth-century notary and an investigative journalist in the 1970s to a young man who searches for meaning in a post-apocalyptic world.
Recently added byprivate library, workergnome, JoeB1934, Zokawe, Anthony4182, JonathanWhitmore, mrbene
    If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Different yet both well-written approaches to meta-fiction.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (TomWaitsTables, PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A theme of reincarnation used to balance Karma flows through the story.
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (jbvm, souloftherose)
    jbvm: Without giving anything away, after you've read both you'll understand my recommendation.
    souloftherose: Both novels are occasionally experimental in style with interconnected short stories. They are also both very good.
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (novelcommentary)
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (Tinwara)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB, sturlington)
    sturlington: Both have unusual narrative structures and explore the theme of reincarnation.
    The Islanders by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    Girl Reading by Katie Ward (rarm)
    rarm: Girl Reading isn't as intricately constructed as Cloud Atlas, but both books use linked stories to carry a theme through the centuries and into the future.
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (JenMDB)
    Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr (nicole_a_davis)
    nicole_a_davis: Both have stories that span multiple time periods and are seemingly unconnected until the end.
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: For those interested in disparate yet intertwining narratives of a somewhat fantastical nature.
    Terra Nullius by Claire G. Coleman (susanbooks)
    The Anomaly by Hervé Le Tellier (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: A more complex (and to me, entertaing) novel using more subtly different styles drawn from other sorts of books with disparate characters who've one thing in common.
    The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson (doryfish)
    doryfish: Both novels have a theme of eternal recurrence.

English (625)  Dutch (8)  German (4)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (645)
Amazing. What an incredible read!!! ( )
  btbell_lt | Aug 1, 2022 |
Indescribable ( )
  KatherineJaneWright | Jul 17, 2022 |
The premise of this book sounded interesting, the structure of the narrative. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy the book, but when I finished it I felt like there was much that I missed, that only a class in English Lit would be able to uncover and explain for me. I can't imagine what the movie is like, but I understand it's not structured exactly the same way. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
hard to stay into the story but still curious about what would happen next. enjoyed the message of connectedness and human nature and thought that the change in writing styles for each story was well done but not sure if I would have put it on the top 600 books of all time list but I do have many more years of reading left to change my mind ( )
  maddogish | May 9, 2022 |
I thought his was great. I enjoyed it all the way through, both the actual stories and the impressive feat of the writing, but for much of the book I had a nagging fear that it wouldn't all come together at the end. And then he nailed it on the last page. Brilliant. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
It felt like reading multiple stories from six different authors all on a common theme, yet all these disparate characters connect, their fates intertwine, and their souls drift across time like clouds across a globe.

Cloud Atlas is powerful and elegant because of Mitchell's understanding of the way we respond to those fundamental and primitive stories we tell about good and evil, love and destruction, beginnings and ends. He isn't afraid to jerk tears or ratchet up suspense - he understands that's what we make stories for.

Mitchell, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oldenburg, VolkerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Hana and her grandparents.
Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.
Oh, once you've been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn't want you back.
Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
The stationmaster's whistle blew on time, the locomotive strained like a gouty proctor on the pot before heaving itself into motion.
"Are you mad?"
Always a trickier question than it looks. "I doubt it."
Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies.

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.
Looping, linking time/
chaining space, land seasalt drifting/
visual lyric threads
The literary
equivalent of Marmite –
you love or hate it.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,075,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible