Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Briar Rose (1992)

by Jane Yolen

Series: The Fairy Tale Series

Deerskin by Robin McKinley (FutureMrsJoshGroban, MyriadBooks)
    Red as blood; or, tales from the Sisters Grimmer by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Cecrow)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: YA-geared fiction relating to the Holocaust
    The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two stories that intertwine characters from elsewhere with the Holocaust. Both are affecting in their own ways.
    Damned Strong Love: The True Story of Willi G. and Stefan K. : A Novel by Lutz van Dijk (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Although one book is fiction and the other a true account there are many similarities between the story told in the latter part of "Briar Rose" and the whole story of "Damned Strong Love" for those who may be interested.
    The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman (kraaivrouw)

English (97)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (98)
I thought the actual Holocaust portion of the story was well-written, but the characters in the modern part felt flat and annoying. ( )
  Katya0133 | Jul 17, 2018 |
Wow! I read it in one day and that is unusual for me. I couldn’t put it down.

It’s different from what I was expecting, I guess because her The Devil’s Arithmetic had a young teen protagonist and had more of a speculative fiction aspect, and I was afraid this would be pure fairy tale. However, this story is not fantasy but modern day & historical fiction Holocaust fiction, with fictional aspects added to Holocaust events – with a made up small group of people and one person in particular. It also works as psychological fiction.

Yes, the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale has its place here, and I saw a bit of Cinderella too.

It’s gorgeously told, sometimes horrifying and heartbreaking, sometimes even fun at times. It is an incredibly upsetting Holocaust story. I’m fine with the made up part. All historical fiction must do this to some extent. I did appreciate the author’s short note at the end where she does explain what the facts and what was fictionalized. The author’s note was a needed inclusion, though her deviation from what’s known is not 100% impossible, in my opinion.

I don’t want to give too much away except I will say that Becca is a lovely character and Gemma is a fascinating character, and the story is beautifully told.

This book is definitely for teens and adults and not children as the violence of the Holocaust is told in quite a bit of detail.

I can’t believe I waited so long to get to this one. I’m really happy that I finally read it. ( )
  Lisa2013 | May 17, 2018 |
Good World War II story about a death camp that you often don't hear about. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
Unforgettable. Undeniable. Tragically Beautiful. If you haven't read this yet, do it, soon! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
This is a superb book. It was written as part of the Modern Fairy Tales" series where modern authors re-tell a fairy tale in whatever way suits them (Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia Wrede is another example), and what Jane Yolen does to tell a story of the Holocaust is just astounding.

It's dark and difficult, especially as the mystery of the modern-day Briar Rose comes out, but it is truly worth reading. I should re-read it . . ." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty,ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolte, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...(B)oth the oral and the literary forms of the fairy tale are grounded in history: they emanate from specific struggles to humanize bestial and barbaric forces, which have terrorized our minds and communities in concrete ways, threatening to destroy free will and human compassion. The fairy tale sets out to conquer this concrete terror through metaphors." --Jack Snipes, "Spells of Enchantment"
For Charles and MaryAnn De Lint
and Susan Swartz - Just Because

With Special Thanks to Barbara Diamond Goldin, Staszek Radosh, Linda Mannheim, Betsy Pucci, Peter Gherlone, Mary Teifke, Alissa Gehan, Susan Landau, and Scott Scanlon for their research help. Any mistakes made in the presentation of that material are mine alone.
"Gemma, tell your story again," Shana begged, putting her arms around her grandmother and breathing in that special smell of talcum and lemon that seemed to belong only to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765342308, Mass Market Paperback)

A powerful retelling of Sleeping Beauty that is "heartbreaking and heartwarming."

An American Library Association "100 Best Books for Teens"
An American Library Association "Best Books for Young Adults"

Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:22 -0400)

The tale of Sleeping Beauty and the dark tale of the Holocaust twined together in a story of darkness and redemption.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible