Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind

by Sharon M. Draper

Recently added byKelseyPedersen, jdieder104, tarr.chris, Amanda7, crhallquist, TamaP, private library, pricem
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (344)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (347)
I really loved this book because it allows readers to go inside the mind of a student who has special needs. The theme could be to not judge a book by its cover. I came up with this because Melody is very intelligent, but nobody knows that because of how she is viewed by society. For example, Melody's teacher and classmates was surprised at how well she did at her school competition. She was the only student who scored 100% on the mock quizzes. ( )
  kcolli32 | Oct 1, 2018 |
This was a fantastic story of overpowering misconceptions about people with disabilities. The main character serves as an excellent window into the struggles and strength of a disabled child. This story doesn't have a traditional happy ending, but it leaves the reader feeling hopeful for Melody's life beyond the book. ( )
  CaputoJohn | Sep 16, 2018 |
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
I enjoyed this book very much. Although it didn’t turn out the way I thought it would, I enjoyed reading and imagining the life of Melody. I also enjoyed that the story was told from Melody’s perspective. She has spastic bilateral quadriplegia, aka cerebral palsy, and she is a very smart student, but she constantly gets pushed aside by her teachers and is forced to go over the alphabet over and over again even though she’s in fifth grade. I enjoyed the expressions and raw emotions that are described throughout the story. From Melody’s mother snapping at Mrs.Billups for holding her child back, to Melody snapping at Mr.Dimming for rudley underestimating her in front of her class. I also enjoyed that Melody’s personality sparkled throughout the entire story. Although she is limited, she is just as spirited as her peers. I also enjoy that author pushes the reader to think about tough issues like integrating children with disabilities in the classroom, and what the special education system actually does for students. Even thinking about how frustrating it must be to be a genius, but not be able to express it or anything you know is unimaginable for me. It was also somewhat humbling to read how Melody felt about how her peers ignored her and treated her as if she were invisible, I never thought about how students in special education classes must feel. I always focused more on not being rude and I can see how that can be interpreted as ignoring. I have taken a lot of notes from this book with rules I plan to implement in my future classroom to avoid some problems that were seen in the book, such as bullying for example. ( )
  scarpe10 | Sep 11, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book for various reasons. I began to like this book as the language was very easy to read and follow along with. I also enjoyed the main character, Melody, and how the book was written in first person point of view. It was so interesting to see the world from her eyes. At times I became very emotional as this book pushed me, as the reader, to think about the struggles she faces throughout her life. Reading this book really broadened my perspective on life and how nothing should be taken for granted, like walking or talking for example. I think there could be quite a few big ideas readers can take away from reading this story. They could be to not take simple things for granted, or to not underestimate someone based on their disabilities. ( )
  eyale1 | Sep 11, 2018 |
What the book is about: Melody is an 11-year-old girl born with Cerebral Palsy; she is incredibly intelligent with a photographic memory—though no one knows. She is unable to communicate beyond simple gestures and grunts until she is given a communication device that offers her a fast pass into a world much bigger than the one she has lead for 11 years. With this new found freedom of speech she finds herself faced with new obstacles to overcome.
There are many reasons why I liked the book Out of My Mind—I loved the first person point of view being Melody’s because it allowed the reader to know exactly what she was thinking more often than her family members and friends. This made the book feel much more authentic and often times, very frustrating because I found myself wanting to speak for her, to tell her parents what it was that she needed. Though it was a horrible event, the section of the book where Penny sneaks out of the house as Melody and her mother are pulling out of the driveway, I felt as equally helpless and distressed as Melody when trying to alert her mom—the use of first person is so essential to the reader’s full immersion into the world of Cerebral Palsy. Every single character is important to the plot and Melody’s development as the protagonist; her parents and Ms. V are the forces that push Melody forward and provide her with the resources she needs to succeed. Her teachers in room H-5 are believable in their lack of education on how to treat students with learning disabilities and/or special needs—Mrs. Billups playing nursery rhymes on a loop and going over the ABC’s every day was the sad reality of many schools in our country lacking knowledge and resources. The message of Out of My Mind is that no matter the circumstances or disadvantages that we may be put at, there will always be a way to put our kindness and abilities to use—it is simply a matter of motivation and strength. At the end of the book, when Melody misses the championship in D.C. and her little sister gets in an accident, Melody is still able to hold her head high and forgive those who have hurt her. ( )
  mkende1 | Sep 11, 2018 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy, considered by many to be mentally retarded, discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible