Life of Pi (2001)

by Yann Martel

38,40992530 (3.91)2 / 1222
Pi Patel, having spent an idyllic childhood in Pondicherry, India, as the son of a zookeeper, sets off with his family at the age of sixteen to start anew in Canada, but his life takes a marvelous turn when their ship sinks in the Pacific, leaving him adrift on a raft with a 450-pound Bengal tiger for company.… (more)
Recently added bySmsw, cornellaasp, bookmarkecr, PattiFuhs, ALP-Education, private library, cntom60, coffeebarista
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Narrating reality or imagination?
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (sturlington)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    Nothing by Janne Teller (Freiesleben)

Asia (8)
Canada (40)

English (886)  Dutch (14)  German (4)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (923)
Tedious gibberish. It was one of the worst books I’ve ever read. I couldn’t inflict it on another person and threw it away. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
I hated this book and could not finish it. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
I swear I tried to read it, but it was so boring. The idea itself was very interesting, but it was hard to follow. A boy who chooses 3 religions instead of one is pretty dope. I would see myself give this book a fair shot in the upcoming years, but now I will give it 2 stars.
I also tried the audiobook, but I wasn't satisfied with it either.
I wouldn't recommend it for a younger audience, but for adults, it is great. ( )
  DailyDose.Karina | Aug 20, 2020 |
I remember wondering how a book about a boy and a tiger trapped on a boat for almost the entire duration of the book could hold my interest. Well, it managed it. The book was really delightful and I'm glad I read it. ( )
  mauralin13 | Aug 17, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
This book was born as I was hungry. (Author's Note)
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you
This is the book. Please do not combine with the film.

After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan—and a 450-pound royal bengal tiger.
-Amazon
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Yann Martel's book Life of Pi was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 2044

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,466,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible