Life of Pi (2001)

by Yann Martel

39,70295632 (3.91)2 / 1271
Pi Patel, having spent an idyllic childhood in Pondicherry, India, as the son of a zookeeper, sets off with his family at the age of sixteen to start anew in Canada, but his life takes a marvelous turn when their ship sinks in the Pacific, leaving him adrift on a raft with a 450-pound Bengal tiger for company.… (more)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone.
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Narrating reality or imagination?
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Nothing by Janne Teller (Freiesleben)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.

Asia (1)
Oceans (1)
Canada (9)

English (919)  Dutch (14)  German (4)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (956)
Life of Pi is magical! It is an engrossing mix of a thrilling setting, breath-taking action and profound philosophy. I enjoyed it immensely. Reading this book made me realise what a great achievement Ang Lee's movie is... ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |
Various textured materials are designed to teach children about zoo animals.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 12, 2021 |
Finally got around to this book that has been on everyone's favorites list. What a great novel! It is one of those rare novels that at the end you'll go, "Huh!" and then spend the next few hours thinking about what you read. I don't want to spoil it if you are one of the few people left who haven't read it, but definitly do. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
Why would I shelve this as both "magic-fantastic" AND "realistic-fiction"? Because it all depends on how you believe Pi is telling his story. I'm more a fan of the literal, "the animals were really there" route, but there's a certain sense of rightness when I consider his other interpretation as well.

I read this book in middle school, many years ago, and it still lives vividly in my mind (and the movie is amazing and beautiful as well). It's a little slow up until the shipwreck, but since that happens in about the first third of the book, that's not a major complaint. Martel's writing is absolutely beautiful, and he makes you feel as though you are on the boat with Pi and Richard Parker. While I generally don't like books that shove their message down your throat, this one is not apparent until the end, and then it invites discussion rather than acceptance.

I'm not religious, I've never been religious, and I don't think I ever will be. I am, in fact, a proud atheist. I do not like the attitude that some "religious books" have that atheists will always recount on their deathbeds (which is mentioned quickly here), but this book did not offend me in that regard. While the theme of religion is major, it's a tolerant, loving conception of religion, where it doesn't matter if you believe or not. When Pi asks you to believe whichever story is more beautiful, that is all he's asking. I never connected that question to the idea of believing that life is more beautiful with God - just that you should look for the beauty in life rather than the misery. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
This was an interesting experience. Martel has a huge talent. But I'm not sure I enjoyed it. And I don't want to read it again or watch the film. It left an aftertaste of shock.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stheeman, TjadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
This book was born as I was hungry. (Author's Note)
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you
This is the book. Please do not combine with the film.

After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan—and a 450-pound royal bengal tiger.
-Amazon
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,451,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible