The Tiger's Wife (2011)

by Téa Obreht

4,6783161,783 (3.52)1 / 606
Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, young physician Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man would go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger's wife.… (more)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Jungle Book is the book Natalia's grandfather loves in The Tiger's Wife and features Shere Khan, the tiger.
    The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (Anonymous user)
    Gingerbread by Robert Dinsdale (avatiakh)
    Ingrid and the Wolf by André Alexis (Anonymous user)
    The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander (Anonymous user)
    Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (Anonymous user)

English (312)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (317)
I got slightly more than halfway through, and I appreciated the insights into a culture I know nothing about, but I just didn't care enough about any of the characters to want to wade through the rest of the book. I don't do well with books that spend so much time on background and description, I prefer more succinct prose, so this wasn't the book for me. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
A good start but all the reviews about the magic realism element made me decide not to commit any more of my reading time. ( )
  adrianburke | Jul 20, 2021 |
Not sure what I just read, but it was absorbing in parts. The myths especially. Loved the relationship between the grandfather and granddaughter. Made for unique characters. The Balkan's history adds to the stories even through the obfuscation. A book to think about. ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
Natalia and Zora have been friends since childhood. Both are medical doctors. Natalia lived with her Grandparents and mother when she was growing up. Natalia's grandfather, also a physician, dies in a location 400 miles from home. She tries to figure out why so far from home which gets into her grandfather's stories of The Deathless Man and The Tiger's Wife, through which her grandfather's life story unfolds. The backstories of the apothecary, Daria the Bear, and Luka are also told. I am not a fan of this book. Perhaps I just do not like magical realism. Moving back and forth through time and apparently changing narrators is confusing. ( )
  baughga | Jun 21, 2021 |
The Tiger's Wife has received great buzz in the literary world as well as great reviews. Obreht's use of language and imagery is masterful, particularly in the parts that take place in the past and in the chapters describing the mythology and folklore so central to the story. However when she shifted the point of view to the narrator, and to the present, the writing seemed almost cold and disjointed, and the characters no where near as fleshed out as the others. The story also read more like a collection of short stories rather than a novel to me. I really wanted to like this more than I did, but Obreht definitely bears watching; her talent is undeniable. ( )
  lonetree1972 | Jun 1, 2021 |

Obreht, Téaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doeschate, Anke tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gómez Calvo, IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Štefan Obreht
In my earliest memory, my grandfather is bald as a stone and he takes me to see the tigers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Téa Obreht's book The Tiger's Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,584,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible