dismiss

The Tiger's Wife (2011)

by Téa Obreht

4,4683051,740 (3.53)1 / 600
Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, young physician Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man would go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger's wife.… (more)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Jungle Book is the book Natalia's grandfather loves in The Tiger's Wife and features Shere Khan, the tiger.
    The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (Anonymous user)
    Gingerbread by Robert Dinsdale (avatiakh)
    Ingrid and the Wolf by André Alexis (Anonymous user)
    The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander (Anonymous user)
    Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (Anonymous user)

English (301)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (305)
I didn't love this book. The author does some interesting things with voice, but I got bogged down in lengthy exposition and couldn't sustain an emotional connection with the characters or the story.
  sharonstern | Jul 2, 2020 |

It's a magical realist book, set between the present-ish day and the youth of the narrator's grandfather. There is a strong fantasy element with a character who appears to be immortal and keeps on popping into the narrative. I didn't really think it was all that brilliant. There are some arresting images, but most of them are rather brutal, and at the end of the book the narrator has explored her past a bit but isn't really much the wiser for it. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 29, 2020 |
Too many loose ends. I probably wouldn't have finished if it wasn't chosen in my book club. ( )
  Picabol | Jun 10, 2020 |
This author is someone to keep track of. Her lyric grace in writing, her old-world style, and her descriptive passages are SO engrossing, I was losing sleep, trying to find out what happened to the tiger, and his wife. And gorgeous? Oh My GOD!! But what stuns me the most is, this is her first novel!!
Being from Yugoslavia, which is where the novel is based, this novel spans from the main character's grandfather's time, during a war, to the grand-daughter's time, during another war. While the grand-daughter tries to inoculate orphans across the border, she learns about her sick grandfather's death, while on a mysterious trip. Laced in between scenes from both of their lives, the grand-daughter tells the tale of the man who would not die. And thankfully, he was NOT a vampire!
Anyone who loves a fascinating tale, I recommend this novel to. It's just breath-taking!! ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
I loved it. This is the second time picking it up--the first time I gave up somewhere in the middle of the first/second chapter, but this time, I read it from cover to cover in a day. Fantastic read. ( )
  Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |

Obreht, Téaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doeschate, Anke tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gómez Calvo, IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Štefan Obreht
In my earliest memory, my grandfather is bald as a stone and he takes me to see the tigers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Téa Obreht's book The Tiger's Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible