Siddhartha (1922)

by Hermann Hesse

In the novel, Siddhartha, a young man, leaves his family for a contemplative life, then, restless, discards it for one of the flesh. He conceives a son, but bored and sickened by lust and greed, moves on again. Near despair, Siddhartha comes to a river where he hears a unique sound. This sound signals the true beginning of his life -- the beginning of suffering, rejection, peace, and, finally, wisdom.… (more)
    The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Smiler69)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (chwiggy)
    The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar thematically.
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes of a young man looking for spiritual meaning.
    Buddha, Volume 1: Kapilavastu by Osamu Tezuka (JqnOC)
    Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari (Jona25)
    Be Here Now by Ram Dass (JFDR)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (chwiggy)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (chwiggy)
    Mahābhārata (R. K. Narayan ed.) by Vyasa (Jona25)
    Buddha by Karen Armstrong (Nickelini)
    Creation by Gore Vidal (mcenroeucsb)
    Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings by Marcus Borg (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Black Girl in Search of God (becca58203)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (JFDR)
    The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version (RSV) by Thomas Nelson & Sons (charlie68)
    charlie68: Connects with a lot of the same themes in Ecclesiastes and the Gospels.
    The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books share a similar quest for self-knowledge with the ultimate realization that what one is looking for was with you all the time. After all, there's no place like Om

English (301)  Spanish (15)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Swedish (4)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  All languages (344)
Corto y genial ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
I did enjoy this book. I expected this to be a book that would not be an easy read but surprisingly it wasn't. It is relatively short but with a lot of contect in its few pages. I did enjoy the book and it did make you think. I am glad I read it. ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |
As a preface to my reaction to this book, I must say that the choice of this book was not my own, but rather the choice of my book club. I personally do not care for books I feel are allegorical. I find them too simplistic with philosophical thought cast at the reader and carefully delineated rather than allowing the reader freedom of thought about what was just read.

After reading half of the book, I found Siddhartha truly annoying and would have bailed, had I not agreed to read this book for someone other than myself. I hated that he left his father and then left his friend Govinda, first to seek the life of an ascetic and then to simply pursue riches...which was also accompanied by greed, lust and other vices. Nothing against those last three things other than they had no antithesis in Siddhartha's life at that time. There was later a character I liked very much...a ferryman by the name of Vasudeva. He was a hard-working, thoughtful, kind and caring man. He certainly seemed more well rounded than Siddhartha.

At the end of the book, as I suspected, we the readers were told what we should have gotten out of this story. I read it. Yeah. Yeah. Beautiful and all that...but very abstract. I like more literal story-telling.

I am glad I read this book, though, as I had never before read a book by Herman Hesse, and this author was one of my dear late aunt Emma's favorite writers. I might later explore more of his works to see if there are other books of his I might like better. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Apr 10, 2022 |
I honestly only remember this in the vaguest way - Indian hero's journey / spiritual quest n'at - after all, I probably read it about 37 yrs ago - but I watched the movie of Hesse's "Steppenwolf" recently & liked it & was reminded of why I liked him as a teenager. Giving it 3 stars is a safe bet. I know Hesse was important enuf to me for me to've read 3 bks of his in fairly quick succession but then I think I felt like I'd outgrown him & moved on. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |

The foreword mentions how easy it was for Hermann to write Part 1. Then he got stuck and didn't return to write the rest of the book until years later.

It shows. I really loved the first part. It was a simple but beautiful story. The rest of the book just wandered off the path. ( )
  wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
[It] attempts to postulate an answer to the riddle of man's confused and contradictory existence in this universe.

Hesse, Hermannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosner, HildaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xuan, Xuan LocCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Was inspired by

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

(German)

Lieber, verehrter Romain Rolland!

Seit dem Herbst des Jahres 1914, da die seit kurzem angebrochene Atemnot der Geistigkeit auch mir plötzlich spürbar wurde, und wir einander von fremden Ufern her die Hand gaben, im Glauben an dieselben übernationalen Notwendigkeiten, seither habe ich den Wunsch gehabt, Ihnen einmal ein Zeichen meiner Liebe und zugleich eine Probe meines Tuns und einen Blick in meine Gedankenwelt zu geben. Nehmen Sie die Widmung des ersten Teiles meiner noch unvollendeten indischen Dichtung freundlichst entgegen von Ihrem

Hermann Hesse
In the shade of the house, in the sunshine of the riverbank near the boats, in the shade of the Sal-wood forest, in the shade of the fig tree is where Siddhartha grew up, the handsome son of the Brahman, the young falcon, together with his friend Govinda, son of a Brahman.
[attributions added]
Kamaswami: "... And what is it now what you've got to give? What is it that you've learned, what you're able to do?"
Siddhartha: "I can think. I can wait. I can fast."
Kamaswami: "That's everything?"
Siddhartha: "I believe, that's everything!"
Seeking means: to have a goal; but finding means: to be free, to be receptive, to have no goal.
Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom.
But I think it is important to only love the world, not to despise it, not for us to hate each other, but to be able to regard the world and ourselves and all beings with love, admiration, and respect.

Chi è Siddharta? È uno che cerca, e cerca soprattutto di vivere intera la propria vita. Passa di esperienza in esperienza, dal misticismo alla sensualità, dalla meditazione filosofica alla vita degli affari, e non si ferma presso nessun maestro, non considera definitiva nessuna acquisizione, perché ciò che va cercato è il tutto, il misterioso tutto che si veste di mille volti cangianti. E alla fine quel tutto, la ruota delle apparenze, rifluirà dietro il perfetto sorriso di Siddharta, che ripete il "costante, tranquillo, fine, impenetrabile, forse benigno, forse schernevole, saggio, multirugoso sorriso di Gotama, il Buddha, quale egli stesso l'aveva visto centinaia di volte con venerazione". Siddharta è senz'altro l'opera di Hesse più universalmente nota. Questo breve romanzo di ambiente indiano, pubblicato per la prima volta nel 1922, ha avuto infatti in questi ultimi anni una strepitosa fortuna. Prima in America, poi in ogni parte del mondo, i giovani lo hanno riscoperto come un loro testo, dove non trovavano solo un grande scrittore moderno ma un sottile e delicato saggio, capace di dare, attraverso questa parabola romanzesca, un insegnamento sulla vita che evidentemente i suoi lettori non incontravano altrove.
(piopas)

4 2049
5 2095

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,018,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible