The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum, W. W. Denslow, Maraja, David McKee (Illustrator)

Other authors: W. W. Denslow (Illustrator), Cornelia Funke (Introduction)

Series: Oz (1), Oz : Baum (1), Oz : Famous Forty (1)

English (304)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (308)
The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum Rating: 5/5

Read from July 22 to August 03, 2013 — I own a copy
This Review has light spoilers.
This book is one of those cases that the movie is good, but so does not do justice for the book.

The movie left out so much that I would have loved to have seen in the movie. Naturally, some things that are in the book, I’m glad they left out because it is not meant to be seen by younger audiences; unless you make an Adult/Young Adult version like they do with the fairy tales these days. But I did enjoy the book. It took me so long to read it because I just wasn’t in the mood to read but it is good.
One of my favorite parts of the book were when they went to kill the Wicked Witch of the West and ran into the Winkies. And another part was the China People. Both of them I enjoyed.

This book is one of my favorites this year. There are some parts in this book that I wouldn’t suggest for younger children (Under 10 y/o, and even that’s kind of pushing it, depending on your child).

There was a part where the Tinman chopped off a few heads, and for me, younger children, if they’re a little more sensitive to that type of violence, I wouldn't suggest you let them read it until you know they can handle it. It didn't get detailed beyond saying he chopped off the heads but still, that much could upset some kids if they are sensitive. And there is also a part with a large spider as well.

I generally try to keep spoilers out of my reviews, but in this case, for those who haven’t read the book yet, I wanted to give some idea what was in it. Now, I don’t know if all editions are the same, but the one I read had those things mentioned in the spoilers. If you like classics, I would suggest this book to anyone.
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
The most beautiful of this novel so far. Illustrations to die for. ( )
  librisalexandria | May 13, 2017 |
What a fantastic read! I read this book during my first week of Christmas vacation while I sick and puking from stomach flu. Dorothy is so smart. I love that L. Frank Baum didn't make her some doofy little girl (like Stephanie Meyers did with Bella in Twilight - Steph, read Wizard of Oz and smarten up your girls!). Such a good book. I love how strong and capable all the characters were and yet they let little things make them self-concious. But then when needed their powers came out. The Tin Woodman not stepping on a bug. The cowardly lion pulling the raft ashore. The Scarecrow time and time again came up with ingenious ways to get them out of whatever trouble the group was in. Just a fabulous book. I think all kids should have to read this book and then have to read it again as high school students and then again as college students and one last time as adults. We all have our power inside us, we just have to trust ourselves and tap into it.

I read the book originally to just have something "light" while not feeling well. But I was so wrong, this book made me think so much. It also prepared me to reread "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Everything means so much more this time around as I read "Wicked". Dorothy - so smart and strong in Wizard of Oz, not some silly little girl singing along - can be seen, if from the Witch's point of view, as a threat. I just love both books. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Such a fun little story! So much more here than in the movie. There is no place like home. The Tin Woodsman is so BA. ( )
  cambernard90 | Apr 12, 2017 |
I really, really liked this book! I honestly had pretty low expectations going into this book and thought it wouldn't compare at all to the greatness of the 1939 movie (which is one of my favorite movies), but I was wrong. It was one of the best children's classics that I've ever read and I even loved how it wasn't that similar to the movie, so it kept me interested. I also had a beautiful hardcover Puffin Classics edition, so that make the experience even better! It would be great to read to a class. ( )
  Christina1476 | Apr 2, 2017 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

(Carnophile)

One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of W. W. Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 130 two-color illustrations that help make The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so special and enduring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141341734

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101247, 140010890X, 1452610274

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438243, 1909438278

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible