The Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz : Baum (1), Oz : Famous Forty (book 1), Oz (1)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (StefanY)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (sturlington)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Morteana)
    The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton (bookel)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (amanda4242)
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [graphic novel] by Eric Shanower (JGKC)
    The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (MonicaOfOz, MonicaOfOz, MonicaOfOz)
    Rebecca's World, Journey to the Forbidden Planet by Terry Nation (Sylak)
    The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi (kaledrina)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    The Secret of Oz by Bill Still (fulner)
    fulner: Explore Bill Still's take on the symbolism within Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz and its relation to the global economic system amid Baum's bought with with several newspapers during the progressive era.
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books share a similar quest for self-knowledge with the ultimate realization that what one is looking for was with you all the time. After all, there's no place like Om

English (380)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (387)
Almost everyone has seen the Wizard of Oz on TV multiple times, but have you ever read the book, I hadn't. The book is different from the movie in several key ways, although the main story remains the same. There are somethings in the movie that aren't in the book and vice a versa . It made me wonder if when the movie first came out in 1939 were there people complaining because it wasn't like the book, as they would today. I did enjoy reading the story and would recommend it. [bc:The Wonderful Wizard of Oz|236093|The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)|L. Frank Baum|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1289423013s/236093.jpg|1993810] ( )
  klrabbit58 | May 3, 2021 |
**2.5 Stars For having loved the movie so much, I was disappointed when reading this book. There is so little detail when describing the world and the characters that I had a hard time connecting with anything at all in this book. There is definitely a Pollyanna feel to this world of OZ, and there are too many clear cut "good" and "evil" situations and characters. Nothing is clearly black and white in our world and it would have been nice to see the situation and characters fleshed out a little more to show the complexity that the real world clearly contains. I will always love L. Frank Baum for creating such a wonderful world of OZ, but I would have loved more from the original story in terms of plot and character complexity. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
The story chronicles the adventures of a young girl named Dorothy Gale in the Land of Oz, after being swept away from her Kansas farm home in a cyclone.
  Gmomaj | Mar 1, 2021 |
I started watching the new show Emerald City the other day and thought I'd read this again. I haven't read it since college. My history teacher explained the meaning behind everything in great detail about the bimetallic standard, William Jennings Bryan, factory workers, farmers, etc. etc. etc. Every character, place and thing stood for something. I don't remember a lot of it, and I had even forgotten some of the changes from the book to the movie. I actually listened to the audiobook this time. Anne Hathaway is the narrator, and she does a great job. I enjoyed it, and I'm planning to continue the Oz book series. I've never read the others before. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Finally, one of the biggest mice spoke.

‘Is there nothing we can do,’ it asked, ‘to repay you for saving the life of our Queen?’

‘Nothing that I know of,’ answered the Woodman; but the Scarecrow, who had been trying to think, but could not because his head was stuffed with straw, said, quickly, ‘Oh, yes; you can save our friend, the Cowardly Lion, who is asleep in the poppy bed.’
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

This complete and unabridged edition of L. Frank Baum's beloved classic invited a new generation of readers to travel down that Yellow Brick Road with the delightful little girl from Kansas and her unusual friends.

Dorothy, her little dog Toto, the Tin Woodman, Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion will ... set out on an exciting quest for the elusive Wizard of Ox. Along the way, they'll encounter the Wicked Witch of the West, the fantastic Winged Monkeys, the Queen of the Field Mice, the kind-hearted Munchkins and other fanciful creatures.
Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

(Carnophile)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141195010, 0141341734

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101247, 140010890X, 1452610274

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438243, 1909438278

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,728,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible