dismiss

The Prophet (1923)

by Kahlil Gibran

Series: The Prophet (1)

The Prophet represents the acme of Kahlil Gibran's achievement. Writing in English, Gibran adopted the tone and cadence of King James I's Bible, fusing his personalised Christian philosophy with a spirit and oriental wisdom that derives from the richly mixed influences of his native Lebanon.His language has a breath-taking beauty. Before returning to his birthplace, Almustafa, the 'prophet', is asked for guidance by the people of Orphalese. His words, redolent with love and understanding, call for universal unity, and affirm Gibran's certainty of the correlated nature of all existence, and of reincarnation. The Prophet has never lost its immediate appeal and has become a ubiquitous touchstone of spiritual literature.… (more)

English (125)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (135)
This was a short but inspirational read. The parts on love and marriage were read at my wedding. :) ( )
  CeleryHands | Jun 25, 2020 |
Eine Stadt im Orient: Der Prophet al-Mustafa erwartet das Schiff, das ihn in seine Heimat zurückbringen soll. Bevor er sie verlässt, bitten ihn die Einwohner von Orfalîs, ein letztes Mal zu ihnen zu sprechen: von Liebe, Schmerz, Schönheit, Freude und allem anderen, was die Menschen bewegt. Die Antworten des Propheten sind voller Lebensweisheit und mystischer Tiefe und zählen zum Faszinierendsten, was die spirituelle Literatur hervorgebracht hat. Khalil Gibran gelang mit diesem Werk der Brückenschlag zwischen der Alten und Neuen Welt, zwischen Orient und Okzident, Islam und Christentum. 1923 erschienen, erlebte ›Der Prophet‹ einen beispiellosen Triumphzug im Westen und avancierte zu einem Kultbuch, das Generationen überdauert.
  Fredo68 | May 18, 2020 |
While reading this, it occurred to me that I would like to be drinking whatever Gibran was drinking while he wrote it. This is a book I have seen here and there, sometimes among shelves of old books in people's houses, ever since I was old enough to notice books. I don't think we had a copy in our home, but I could be mistaken. Certainly it hasn't come down into my possession as did many of my favorite books of my father's. In any case, the best word to describe "The Prophet" is drivel. Sure, it has a few nice quotes: "Let there be spaces in your togetherness" being a pretty clever one. And its assertion that life and death, pleasure and pain, etc. etc. etc. are just opposite sides of the same coin are certainly true to an extent. But the language is just pretty silly. Compared to other religious books--and I would treat this as such--it is pretty harmless, however. ( )
1 vote datrappert | Apr 7, 2020 |
The Prophet is a collection of poetic essays that are philosophical, spiritual, and, above all, inspirational. Gibran’s musings are divided into twenty-eight chapters ( )
  StFrancisofAssisi | Mar 21, 2020 |
"On Children" - I can still recite it from memory after 30 years. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Mar 18, 2020 |

Gibran, Kahlilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McFarlane, RobertPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valckenier, LiesbethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhulst, CarolusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Almustafa, the chosen and the beloved, who was a dawn unto his own day, had waited twelve years in the city of Orphalese for his ship that was to return and bear him back to the isle of his birth.
You have been told that, even like a chain, you are as weak as your weakest link.
This is but half the truth. You are also as strong as your strongest link.
To measure you by your smallest deed is to reckon the power of the ocean by the frailty of its foam.
And ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of desperation.
When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him...
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
Library of Congress please note: this is NOT a work written in Arabic and translated into English. It is a work written in English by a Lebanese poet.

Kahlil Gibran, born in Lebanon, is well known throughout the Arab world as well as the West for his poetry, art and philosophy. The Prophet, one of Gibran’s most celebrated books, is his first published collection of poems and has been translated into more than twenty languages. This 2001 edition of his book includes 12 of Gibran’s own drawings.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140194479, 0141187018, 0141194677

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,962,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible