Eat, Pray, Love (2006)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Like many others, around the time Elizabeth Gilbert turned 30, she went through an early-onslaught midlife crisis. Although she had everything an educated, ambitious American woman was supposed to want, including a husband, a home, and a successful career as a magazine writer, she was consumed with panic, grief, and confusion. This is an account of her yearlong worldwide pursuit of pleasure, spiritual devotion, guidance, and what she really wanted out of life.… (more)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (jordantaylor)
    Enlightenment for Idiots by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (bogreader)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.
    The Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha Beck (infiniteletters)

English (804)  Dutch (12)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (839)
This book tells a lovely story and is full of wise and interesting things (a little like The Signature of All Things, which I read two years ago). Gilbert uses the phrase “Pretty Power” in the book. That’s a good way to describe its impact. ( )
  brook11trout | May 6, 2023 |
Eat, pray, love is about a woman's spiritual journey which takes her to Italy, India, and Indonesia (Bali). The author is fairly witty and manages to make a quite self involved topic (how interesting is it really to hear about someone's spiritual journey?) rather intriguing. The problem with this book is that it loses momentum. The Italy section is better than the India section. The India section is better than the Indonesia section. So instead of building to a nice crescendo as great books are wont to do, this one fizzles out. Many of my friends told me they weren't wild about it; now I can see why. ( )
  Anita_Pomerantz | Mar 23, 2023 |
As others have said, I initially loathed this book. Liz is so self-absorbed. I'm now 2/3 of the way through the book, just starting Indonesia. Liz has become more likeable. Whether that's because she has learned to meditate and find God, I don't know. I'll post my final thoughts when I finish. ( )
  cathy.lemann | Mar 21, 2023 |
I got 20 pages from the end and couldn't be bothered finding out how it ended. Self-absorbed and frankly not that enlightening. I wouldn't recommend to keep away from it! Plenty of other great books to read out there. ( )
  jean-sol | Mar 2, 2023 |
I liked this book and the way i went to 3 countries and learnt something about each place. I've not seen the film but the book was very enjoyable ( )
  TheReadingShed001 | Mar 1, 2023 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

Your book was recommended by a friend, and he's right in saying this story is awesome. Why don't you try to join N0velStar's writing contest?
added by Gab_Cruz | editreview

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Come molti altri, nel periodo in cui Elizabeth Gilbert compì 30 anni, attraversò una crisi di mezza età precoce. Sebbene avesse tutto ciò che una donna americana istruita e ambiziosa avrebbe dovuto desiderare, inclusi un marito, una casa e una carriera di successo, era consumata dal panico, dal dolore e dalla confusione. Questo è un resoconto della sua ricerca del piacere mondano, della devozione spirituale e di ciò che voleva veramente dalla vita.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,536,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible