Eat, Pray, Love (2006)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Like many others, around the time Elizabeth Gilbert turned 30, she went through an early-onslaught midlife crisis. Although she had everything an educated, ambitious American woman was supposed to want, including a husband, a home, and a successful career, she was consumed with panic, grief, and confusion. This is an account of her pursuit of worldly pleasure, spiritual devotion, and what she really wanted out of life.… (more)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    Enlightenment for Idiots by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.
    Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha Beck (infiniteletters)

English (771)  Dutch (12)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (804)
It helps to have some understanding of zen when you read the section on India, I think. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
I like that a lot of her adventures on her search for spirituality are explicit. There's no 'go imagine it yourself'. ( )
  Ibrahim_Obalola | Apr 15, 2021 |
After hearing all the hype about this book, I thought I would give it a try. While I really liked the message of the book (self-discovery) I think I was expecting more after hearing so much hype. The beginning bit about her exploring in Italy was really interesting for me, because it's a place that I would love to travel to, but the middle about India didn't really appeal to me though. The last bit about Indonesia was interesting, but it was difficult for me to hold my interest. It was an ok book. Not something that I would suggest to everyone, but it was okay. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
I resisted reading this book for ages, due to the huge hype surrounding but after reading her later book Big Magic and really liking her voice I decided to give it a try.
I enjoyed most of this book, but in the end, it all just became a bit too smug, and I guess I got tired of reading about her slightly self-indulgent spiritual journey. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Feb 1, 2021 |
If I could, I would give this book 4.5 stars. I thought it was really good other than she seemed to ramble at times...that's about my only complaint. I found her "experiment" very interesting and found myself longing for a spiritual experience similar to the one she experienced in India. I may just have to dust off my yoga mat. :)

I loved that she was able to discuss her views on religion without putting me off--it's a thin line, let me tell you. I think she's a very talented writer and I love her voice. It works for me.

If you're a "non-religious" individual like myself who is longing to find some kind of practice/activity that brings you closer to "feeling whole" or if your religion just ain't quite cutting it for you, this book may open up some other options for you. Not that this book is all about faith and spirituality, since it is probably more a journey of self-discovery, but for me, that spirituality chunk of it was the most interesting. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

Your book was recommended by a friend, and he's right in saying this story is awesome. Why don't you try to join N0velStar's writing contest?
added by Gab_Cruz | editreview

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,909,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible