dismiss

Eat, Pray, Love (2006)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Like many others, around the time Elizabeth Gilbert turned 30, she went through an early-onslaught midlife crisis. Although she had everything an educated, ambitious American woman was supposed to want, including a husband, a home, and a successful career, she was consumed with panic, grief, and confusion. This is an account of her pursuit of worldly pleasure, spiritual devotion, and what she really wanted out of life.… (more)
    Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (joririchardson)
    Enlightenment for Idiots by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (VaterOlsen)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.
    Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha Beck (infiniteletters)

English (767)  Dutch (12)  German (5)  French (4)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (799)
I finally got around to reading this one and I'm glad I did. It was a wonderful book that really struck home, especially since I experienced some of the same moments the author had in her depressed state and her recovery. Her description of depression and how she felt made me feel just how deeply I experienced those same emotions. ( )
  jocelynelise_ | Aug 10, 2020 |
I feel like I was a couple of years too young for this book, which is most likely the reason why I did not really like this book. At age 20 I just couldn't connect to Elizabeth, as she was a lot further in her (emotional) life than I am. But it was well written, it had humor, there were beautiful descriptions about the places she visited, so for someone around the same age (and especially someone living through the same things she did) this would be a good book and highly recommended. ( )
  Blokchu | Aug 3, 2020 |
Driven to despair by a punishing divorce and an anguished love affair, Gilbert flees New York for sojourns in the three Is. She goes to Italy to learn the language and revel in the cuisine, India to meditate in an ashram, and Indonesia to reconnect with a healer in Bali. This itinerary may sound self-indulgent or fey, but there is never a whiny or pious or dull moment because Gilbert is irreverent, hilarious, zestful, courageous, intelligent, and in masterful command of her sparkling prose.
  AxcellaZed | Jul 31, 2020 |
Having read considerable positive reviews about and received recommendations from friends I really looked forward to reading this novel of one woman's search for enlightenment. However I found the narrator to be narcissistic, selfish and lacking in any real insight. I don't doubt that a year's holiday would provide opportunities for self reflection for any woman, but for those of us to attempt to make the best of our current situation in life, I found the narrator to be condescending and trite. The Battersea Park Road to Enlightenment is a much more enjoyable read. ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |
Elizabeth beschließt, ganz von vorne anzufangen. Sie lässt New York hinter sich und tritt die Reise ihres Lebens an: Dolce Vita in Italien, Meditationslehre in einem indischen Ashram und schließlich die glückliche Balance zwischen innerem und äußerem Glück auf Bali.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

This book started out as the movie did, interesting, exciting, and drew me in but the
story kind of fell flat at the end for me. I was
disappointed even though I did understand that
this woman was going through a life changing
process.
added by Writer300 | editNew Westminister Library, Writer300

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Op haar dertigste heeft Elizabeth alles wat een moderne vrouw zich maar kan wensen: een echtgenoot, een huis en een succesvolle carrière. Maar in plaats van gelukkig te zijn wordt ze overspoeld door paniek, verdriet en verwarring.
Twee jaar later, na een bittere echtscheiding en een hevige depressie, besluit Elizabeth een radicale stap te nemen: ze gaat een jaar lang alleen op reis. Op haar zoektocht naar evenwicht en geluk doet ze drie landen aan. In Italië leert ze la dolce vita kennen, in India verdiept ze zich in meditatie en schrobt ze tempelvloeren, en in Indonesië ontdekt ze de balans tussen ernst en lichtvoetigheid – en ontmoet ze haar grote liefde.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,298,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible