Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

by Julie Powell

Trapped in a boring job and living in a tiny apartment in New York, Julie Powell regularly finds herself weeping on the way home from work. Then one night, through her mascara-smudged eyes, Julie notices that the few items she's grabbed from the Korean grocery store are the very ingredients for Potage Parmentier, as described in Julia Childs' legendary cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. And The Project is born. Julie begins to cook, every one of the 524 recipes in the book, in the space of just one year. This is Julie's story, as gradually, from oeufs en cocotte to bifstek sauté au beurre, from 'Bitch Rice' to preparing live lobsters, she realises that this deranged Project is changing her life. The richness of the thousands of sauces she slaves over is beginning to spread into her life, and she begins to find the joie de vivre that has been missing for too many years.… (more)

A rare find: the movie adaptation far surpasses the book. The movie is charming. The book is occasionally funny and often times revolting. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
I found this book quite interesting- I thought I would find it boring. the description of the dishes is fantastic and really made me want to cook them myself. ( )
  McRaeNaayers | Feb 17, 2021 |
So, I watched the movie and really liked it, esp the Julia Child parts -- come to find out that the book barely deals with any of Julia's experiences but instead focuses almost exclusively on the cooking adventures of Julie Powell. And while the project itself is a great idea, what really got on my nerves towards the end of the book was the existential whining -- as if this cooking project was the only way for Julie to make sense of her life. The only redeeming feature for me was the work experience at the government agency dealing with Sept 11 aftermath and the potential irony to master French Cooking of all cuisines at a time like that. ( )
  WiebkeK | Jan 21, 2021 |
This book was a bit deceptive, in that it was not so much about the cooking and following of Julia Child's recipes (which is why I wanted to read the book in the first place). But more about her friend's sexual escapades. A bit odd in that sense. However, there were some entertaining bits like when she gets to the section of the cookbook that covers aspic, and how she attempts to lure her friends to eat said delicacy. A fun read I suppose, but not at all what I was expecting. ( )
  Emily_Harris | Dec 22, 2020 |
What I liked about this book was 1) the topic revolved around cooking--one of my favorite pass times, 2) it turned me on to Julia Child (I had no idea she was so interesting), and 3) I laughed out loud a few times. The author really had some funny points/stories in the book.

Other than that, the book was OK. I wouldn't tell my friends that they HAVE to read this book, but if they mentioned they were going to read it I wouldn't really try to deter them from it. It was OK.

I really had trouble feeling for the main character. I could relate to her in some ways, but for the most part, I couldn't feel empathetic towards her "strife."

I don't think she ever really wrapped up well enough for me what this journey gained her. I think that's the piece I was missing. What was the point? She gained more confidence...maybe that was it. I don't know. In any case, I found the pieces about Julia Child more interesting than the story Julie Powell had to tell. And, since Julie loves Julia Child so much, maybe she would feel that her book then accomplished what she wanted...?

(If Goodreads allowed half-stars I would have given this one a 2 1/2.) ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Although I don’t really believe that Julie Powell finds a Julia Child-like satisfaction in the art of cooking, her bloggy memoir offers the pleasures of witnessing a thoroughly grumpy, foul-mouthed New Yorker go through a laughable late-twenties identity crisis, discover the erotic allure of good food, and tell terrible gossip about all her best friends. More than her descriptions of (badly) attempting Julia Child’s recipes or even discovering a new career, Powell’s passages evoking the sensual delights of food connect Julie & Julia to the vivid memories in My Life in France.

For Julia, without whom I could not have done this, and for Eric, without whom I could not do at all
Thursday, October 6, 1949.
Paris. At seven o'clock on a dreary evening in the Left Bank, Julia began roasting pigeons for the second time in her life.
Lower Manhattan was not much better. There were wine stores and cheese counters and cute bistros, but since most of the fashionable people who live this far downtown prefer, like vampires, sustenance they can just grab and suck down on the run, a butcher was nowhere to be found.
I was raised in proximity to a self-cleaning stove, and have never been able to square my belief in myself as a person possessed of free will with the act of getting down on my knees to stick my head in a box befogged with carcinogenic fumes and scoop out handfuls of black goo.
The verdict on Foies Volailles en Aspic? Surprisingly undisgusting, but why eat chicken livers cold with jelly on top of them, when you could eat them hot without jelly?

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316013269, 1594831068, 031604427X, 031604251X, 1600245323

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,882,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible