My Life in France (2004)

by Julia Child, Alex Prud'homme

4,7641961,923 (4.15)277
Here is the captivating story of Julia Child's years in France, where she fell in love with French food and found "her true calling." From the moment she and her husband Paul, who worked for the USIS, arrived in the fall of 1948, Julia had an awakening that changed her life. Soon this tall, outspoken gal from Pasadena, California, who didn't speak a word of French and knew nothing about the country, was steeped in the language, chatting with purveyors in the local markets, and enrolled in the Cordon Bleu. She teamed up with two fellow gourmettes, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, to help them with a book on French cooking for Americans. Filled with her husband's beautiful black-and-white photographs as well as family snapshots, this memoir is laced with wonderful stories about the French character, particularly in the world of food, and the way of life that Julia embraced so wholeheartedly. Bon appétit!--From publisher description.… (more)

English (192)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (195)
I didn't really know that much about Julia before I read this other than the little I have seen on PBS and that movie Julie & Julia. I thought the book was amazing and showed how much work she put into her 2 volumes of cookbooks. Make me want to get the 2 cookbooks now and try a few things!
  WellReadSoutherner | Apr 6, 2022 |
Fun. Julia is kind of a nut. ( )
  Martha_Thayer | Jan 13, 2022 |
An engaging account of Julia's "Life in France" where she studied cooking, taught classes, shopped the food markets and began work on her cookbook.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 20, 2021 |
Loved this book. Julia and her husband Paul led such interesting lives. ( )
  PhyllisH | Sep 3, 2021 |
My Life in France by Julia Child (2006)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
For me, reading Julia Child’s memoir felt like going home.

"My Life in France," written with Alex Prud'homme, is Child's exuberant, affectionate and boundlessly charming account of that transformation. It chronicles, in mouth-watering detail, the meals and the food markets that sparked her interest in French cooking, and her growing appreciation of all things French."
added by lorax | editNew York Times, William Grimes (Apr 8, 2006)

Child, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prud'homme, Alexmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Paul
This is a book about some of the things I have loved most in life; my husband, Paul Child; la belle France; and the many pleasures of cooking and eating.
Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile - and learn from her mistakes.

Legacy Library: Julia Child

Julia Child has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Julia Child's legacy profile.

See Julia Child's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,972,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible