Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Two-volume set)

by Julia Child, Simone Beck, Louisette Bertholle

In 1961 Julia Child, Simone Beck, and Louisette Bertholle, collaborating on the first volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, began a virtual revolution in American cookery. In the years that have passed, as their book has found its way into almost 700,000 American families, and as Julia Child has been seen across the country on her French Chef programs broadcast by Public Television, a whole generation has been inspired to new standards of culinary accomplishment. The classic Volume One, acknowledged to be one of the great cookbooks of our time, is now joined with its sequel, published in 1970 -- a new collection of recipes from the country kitchens and haute cuisine of France, carefully chosen and adapted to American requirements by Julia Child and Simone Beck, and designed both to enlarge the repertoire and bring the reader to a new level of mastering the art of French cooking. A gift-boxed set of these classics on French cooking in the hardcover version.… (more)

I read the introduction which was basically a summary of "My Life in France." I checked this out because I was curious to see it after reading that book. I don't think I'll be making any of these recipes, but may copy a couple before I return it to the library. ( )
  eliorajoy | Feb 1, 2022 |
The Bible for all cooks.

I may start with Potage Parmentier, but I doubt I will be making every recipe and blogging about it as in "Julie and Julia". Potage Parmentier is a favorite, and easy recipe (Potato and leek soup). Julia Child leads the cook through kitchen equipment, sauces, stocks, and basic pastry recipes to elegant complex dishes.

I also recommend reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme which traces the work that went into writing this cookbook and how it led to her TV show on public television.

I wonder if we would have Food Network now if it hadn't been for this book that changed how we cook and how we think about food. Remember the popularity of frozen TV dinners? ( )
  LeHack | Aug 2, 2009 |

Julia Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beck, Simonemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bertholle, Louisettemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mastering The Art of French Cooking, Volume 1 (1961), and Mastering The Art of French Cooking, Volume 2 (1970) are substantially different from each other and should not be combined. Neither should the individual volumes be combined with the two volume set, which is comprised of both individual volumes but substantially different than either single book.

ONLY the two volume set should be combined here!!

Legacy Library: Julia Child

Julia Child has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Julia Child's legacy profile.

See Julia Child's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,307,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible