Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.
    A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    The trail north : a solo journey on the Pacific Crest by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Rough Magic: Riding the World's Loneliest Horse Race by Lara Prior-Palmer (terran)
    terran: Both women are unprepared for the grueling experience upon which they embark
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (473)  German (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (482)
I couldn't put this book down fast enough. I think the fact its in the 'fiction' section of the bookstore says a lot about it's authenticity. Did she really do this walk or was it just this is what I think hiking be like. I can't be bothered to find out. I didn't like her at all. ( )
  Hamptot71 | Jul 18, 2022 |
I was a little apprehensive about starting this book. Eat, pray, love was ok and I was afraid this would be more of the same. Even though both were coming off divorces and trying to find their new part in life that seems to be all they have in common. I felt I could relate way more to Cheryl's story. I kind of want to pick up Tiny Beautiful Things. ( )
  christyco125 | Jul 4, 2022 |
I got really good at Fahrenheit to Celsius transformation.

Ideas about the book after the book club.
  luciarux | Jul 3, 2022 |
Much better than the movie, of course. I enjoyed her detailed experiences and explanations of her motivations. By the end, she remains WILD still, wiser, but untamed by her odyssey. Do read this.
  RonSchulz | Jun 24, 2022 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Cheryl Strayedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guitton, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has the adaptation

Première partie

The breaking of so great a thing
Should make a greater crack.
La chute d’un si grand homme
aurait dû faire plus de bruit.

William SHAKESPEARE
Antoine et Cléopâtre
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

Wikipedia: Wild is Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, beginning in the Mojave Desert and hiking through California and Oregon to the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. The book also contains flashbacks to prior life occurrences that led her to begin her journey.[1][2]

At age 22, Strayed had been devastated by the lung cancer death of her mother at 45. Her stepfather disengaged from Strayed's family, and her brother and sister remained distant. Strayed and her husband divorced, and eventually a lover convinced her to start using heroin.[1]

Seeking self-discovery and resolution of her enduring grief and personal challenges, at the age of 26, Strayed set out on her journey, alone and with no prior hiking experience. Wild intertwines the stories of Strayed's life before and during the journey, describing her physical challenges and spiritual realizations while on the trail.[1]

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,554,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible