Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    The Trail North: A Solo Journey On The Pacific Coast by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (400)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (406)
If you have done a bit of backpacking you will enjoy some of the dilemmas the author faced. Strayed has woven her life history through her journey North on the Pacific Crest Trail - well written, though the lusty trail encounters leave me a bit puzzled. ( )
  addunn3 | Mar 21, 2019 |
DNF- I’m enjoying this book so it’s not that it’s bad or anything. I feel like I’m in a bit of a reading slump and this book just isn’t doing anything for me at the moment. I never DNF books but I think I need something with more suspense or action or drama or something.... I’ve wanted to read this book for awhile and I fully intend on coming back to it in the future and finishing it. I just can’t give it the time I need to read it and because of that I’m just not feeling it right now. So I’m taking a break from this one. I have many more books I need to get to in the meantime. ( )
  JessVillafane | Mar 5, 2019 |
A very well told tale, of a frustratingly immature young woman trying to figure out how to grow up. On the outdoor story theme, the book reminds me of the documentary movie Grizzly Man, but it is heartening to see the author's change and maturation process. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
Cheryl Strayed is a 22 year old woman who has gone through a lot of things in her life that most 22 years olds do not. It has left her searching to fill that hole in her middle. She sets off alone to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. She is inexperienced in hiking, but has more grit and determination than most people male or female. I read this book for a book club, but it had my attention right from the start and I could not wait to see what would happen next. A great book to read to see how grit, determination, strength and maybe a little naivety push her to complete this feat. Anyone can do anything they are determined to do according to Cheryl. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Wow. A page turner. I'm telling everyone who will listen to read this book. She has an uncanny talent for transferring complex feelings to paper. I'm already missing this book. Must read! ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Cheryl Strayedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible