Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.
    A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    The Trail North: A Solo Journey On The Pacific Coast by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Rough Magic: Riding the World's Loneliest Horse Race by Lara Prior-Palmer (terran)
    terran: Both women are unprepared for the grueling experience upon which they embark
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (453)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (460)
In the first couple chapters, it was clear that this woman was in pain. I almost wanted to quit reading this book since she was complaining about the weight of her pack. It mostly made me think she was an idiot which does not bode well with identifying with the protagonist as a hook, line, and sinker, to keep me continuing to read on. At times, this was a painful book to read, but it's worth the slog through as she limps to the finish line. ( )
  ABQcat | Jun 19, 2021 |
Oh my god. I am so in love. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I couldn't finish it. I gave it 44 pages.... more than I should have. ( )
  RobertaLea | Jun 12, 2021 |
Second time, enjoyed it again - was recommended by Alison wearing, memoir writing ink
  MiriamL | Apr 7, 2021 |
This book is brutally honest. The author splays herself across the pages, revealing hers sins and transgressions, opening herself up for judgement and condemnation. As I was looking over some of the reviews on Goodreads, I was surprised by how many people chose to do just that. I was shocked by how readily the jackals ripped this book apart.

Who reads a memoir about someone who has always made all the right decisions and known their path in life? Sounds pretty boring to me.

Maybe you can't relate to some of Strayed's mistakes. Maybe you find her behavior completely unforgivable and reprehensible. Maybe that's how she felt about herself. Maybe that's why she rashly decided to hike over 1,000 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail when she was so ill prepared - to face her demons and her own behavior and find a way to embrace her mistakes as a necessary part of her journey through life. There is no sugar coating in the pages of this book. What you will find in this book is honesty, humor, and one individual's tale of survival - not of the PCT, but of the situations thrown at her by life.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed is one of those books that exists on many different levels. It's a book about adventure, a story to fuel wanderlust and exploration. It's a tale about searching for one's self and a place to belong - not in the sense of an actual place, but within yourself. It's a book about making mistakes and losing your direction in life. And it's a novel about the untimely loss of a parent.

I immensely enjoyed Strayed's insightful prose, beautiful descriptions and sharp wit. I appreciated her story. You may not. In my opinion, five stars. ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Cheryl Strayedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guitton, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Wild (2014IMDb)
Première partie

The breaking of so great a thing
Should make a greater crack.
La chute d’un si grand homme
aurait dû faire plus de bruit.

William SHAKESPEARE
Antoine et Cléopâtre
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

Wikipedia: Wild is Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, beginning in the Mojave Desert and hiking through California and Oregon to the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. The book also contains flashbacks to prior life occurrences that led her to begin her journey.[1][2]

At age 22, Strayed had been devastated by the lung cancer death of her mother at 45. Her stepfather disengaged from Strayed's family, and her brother and sister remained distant. Strayed and her husband divorced, and eventually a lover convinced her to start using heroin.[1]

Seeking self-discovery and resolution of her enduring grief and personal challenges, at the age of 26, Strayed set out on her journey, alone and with no prior hiking experience. Wild intertwines the stories of Strayed's life before and during the journey, describing her physical challenges and spiritual realizations while on the trail.[1]

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,135,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible