dismiss

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America…

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (1997)

by Bill Bryson

Bryson shares his breath-taking adventures and the fascinating history of the 2,100-mile Appalachian Trail, as he travels slowly on foot.

English (405)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (414)
Lucky us! The age of #stayathome sounds just like a trek on the Appalachian Trail. Here's what Bill Bryson has to say about his journey "You have no engagements, commitments, obligations or duties, no special ambitions and only the smallest least complicated of wants; you exist in a tranquil tedium....." and we don't have to contend with inclement weather, a lack of or crowded shelters, a heavy backpack and the constant threat of bears.
Bryson balances his memoir of hiking the AT, as it is known to seasoned hikers, between historical insights and science with the ineptitudes of his traveling companion and stories of colorful fellow hikers they come across on the trail.
It's a nice virtual trip in the comfort of your home and way faster than the journey from Georgia to Maine that Bryson endured. ( )
  Carmenere | May 12, 2020 |
Loved the book. I know I don't want to ever attempt to hike the AT! ( )
  lvdark | Apr 29, 2020 |
A gently amusing read about Bryson’s walks along parts of the Appalachian Trail in 1996 with his friend, “Stephen Katz”, following his return to the US from a long time living in the UK.
Some of the story is made up of geographical, history or natural history anecdotes, which are all interesting, but the captivating part of the story are the tales of encounters on the trail, and Bryson’s relationship with Stephen Katz.
A pleasant and undemanding read, told in an easy style. ( )
  CarltonC | Apr 27, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As with all of Bryson's travel books, this is an entertaining take on hiking the Appalachian Trail. Unlike most of Bryson's travel books, in this memoir, he's on foot and traveling with an old friend who isn't exactly what Bryson considers a good friend. Entertaining, somewhat educational, and, like most of Bryson's books, a fun, easy read.

Os. ( )
  Osbaldistone | Apr 20, 2020 |
this book was pretty good, but there also was quite a bitof swearing ( )
  Dan733 | Apr 15, 2020 |
Bryson's breezy, self-mocking tone may turn off readers who hanker for another ''Into Thin Air'' or ''Seven Years in Tibet.'' Others, however, may find themselves turning the pages with increasing amusement and anticipation as they discover that they're in the hands of a satirist of the first rank, one who writes (and walks) with Chaucerian brio.

[Bryson] was often exhausted, his ''brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below.'' The reader, by contrast, is rarely anything but exhilarated. And you don't have to take a step.

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goddijn, ServaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Katz,
of course.
Not long after I moved with my family to a small town in New Hampshire I happened upon a path that vanished into a wood on the edge of town.
But always the wandering trail ran on.
“You all right?” I said. “Oh, peachy,” he replied. “Just peachy. I don’t know why they couldn’t have put some crocodiles in here and made a real adventure of it.”
The book to which I refer is Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by a Canadian academic named Stephen Herrero. If this is not the last word on the subject, the I really, really, really do not wish to hear the last word. [Chapter 2]
Black bears rarely attack. But here's the thing. Sometimes they do. All bears are agile, cunning, and immensely strong, and they are always hungry. If they want to kill you and eat you, they can, and pretty much whenever they want. That doesn't happen often, but -- and here is the absolutely salient point -- once would be enough. [Chapter 2]
I wanted very much to be calmed by these assurances but could never quite manage the necessary leap of faith. After noting that just 500 people were attacked and hurt by black bears between 1960 and 1980 -- twenty-five attacks from a resident population of at least half a million bears -- Herrero adds that most of these injuries were not severe. "The typical black bear-inflicted injury," he writes blandly, "is minor and usually involves only a few scratches or light bites." Pardon me, but what exactly is a light bite? Are we talking a playful wrestle and gummy nips? I think not. And is 500 certified attacks really such a modest number, considering how few people go into the North American woods? And how foolish must one be to be reassured by the information that no bear has killed a human being in Vermont or New Hampshire in 200 years? That's not because the bears have signed a treaty, you know. There's nothing to say they won't start a modest rampage tomorrow. [Chapter 2]
ISBNs 0552152153 and 0553455923 (or 9780553455922) refer to abridged versions. Please do not combine with unabridged works.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,307,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible