The Rosie Project (2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Series: Don Tillman (1)

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. Then a chance encounter gives him an idea. He will design a questionnaire-a sixteen-page, scientifically researched document-to find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker or a late-arriver. Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is strangely beguiling, fiery and intelligent. And she is also on a quest of her own. She's looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might just be able to help her with-even if he does wear quick-dry clothes and eat lobster every single Tuesday night.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    The Silver Linings Playbook by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Similar search for love, romance. If I explain more i would give to many spoilers
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhán Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (489)  Dutch (8)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  All languages (506)
I disagree with another reviewer who compares Don to Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory (an intolerable character and show). Don is far more palatable than the psuedo-nerd, geeky crap they try to hawk on the show.

I very nearly avoided reading this based on that one remark but I'm glad I didn't. The Rosie Project is like the romantic novel for those of us who are unusually pragmatic, maybe even a bit unsentimental and can't chug through a typical chick lit book. ( )
  MC_Rolon | Jun 15, 2022 |
The Rosie Project is a screwball romantic comedy with a neurodiverse character (no formal diagnosis). There is effort to distribute the humor across characters: the neurodiverse protagonist is the source of most of the humorous irony as he makes his way through a lot of awkward interpersonal interactions, but the author gently pokes fun at Rosie and Gene as well (maybe not so gently at Gene, the stereotypical philandering psychology professor).

Romcoms often have some very large relationship red flags built into the plot (e.g. infidelity, attachment disorder) so that there is some dramatic tension, but this one is built around Don's misunderstanding of emotional content (and Rosie's, as well). You have a sense pretty early on that this is a workable relationship because they are both putting in a lot of effort. While it's one kind of fun to read romantic comedies where the leads are honestly terrible for each other, this is a much warmer, love-affirming fun.

I can see why the book was optioned as a movie, but it's going to be hard to translate to the screen: how do you portray everything that's going on in Don's head? ( )
  bexaplex | Jun 12, 2022 |
This book was a little strange at first, but then turned out to be funny and sweet. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  kathp | Jun 10, 2022 |
This is a hilarious book! I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I was interested in it but my book club had enjoyed it, so I read it - I am really glad I did. I've recommended it to many friends/family. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
Me caes mal Rosie ( )
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Кодинова, ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Литвинова, ИринаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
בסקין, סיוןTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,928,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible