dismiss

The Rosie Project (2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Series: Don Tillman (1)

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. Then a chance encounter gives him an idea. He will design a questionnaire-a sixteen-page, scientifically researched document-to find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker or a late-arriver. Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is strangely beguiling, fiery and intelligent. And she is also on a quest of her own. She's looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might just be able to help her with-even if he does wear quick-dry clothes and eat lobster every single Tuesday night.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Similar search for love, romance. If I explain more i would give to many spoilers
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhán Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (455)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  All languages (470)
The Rosie Project is the story of genetics professor Don Tillman who devises the Wife Project, a scientific test to find the perfect partner. He doesn't feel comfortable around most people. He flinches from physical contact and follows a rigid schedule ruled by logic. He cooks all his meals according to an unvarying schedule called the Standardized Meal System and routinely allows 94 minutes a week to clean his bathroom. This all goes out the window when he meets barmaid Rosie Jarman, who scores miserably on the questionnaire. She can't cook, doesn't eat meat, dyes her hair and is never on time. She may be beautiful but Don sees her as highly incompatible.

Don is a more complex character than he at first appears. Don's differences are real, but he likes to see himself as an independent thinker with too much integrity to make ordinary social and professional compromises. He might be wired differently, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have wants and needs. He wants to be the man he thinks Rosie wants him to be, not realizing that she's falling in love with the man he already is.

I completely loved this story from the first page to the final page. It was funny and touching and difficult to put down. I'm not sure I believe some of the antics related to the Father Project but none of it took away the enjoyment I got from this book.
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
I really loved this book.

The main character of Don Tillman was in a word fantastic.

I had some problems with others around him, but he was astute, funny (without meaning to me), loyal, and above all true to himself. And to have a main character be an adult with Asperger's and not realizing it, was actually sort of brilliant. In Don's mind other people should pick up more of his foibles since it would make them happier and actually be on time.

Don is a professor teaching genetics in Australia when he happens decides to take up the advice of a dearly departed friend and find a wife. Not used to doing things by halves, Don creates a questionnaire and goes about finding a wife. After some disastrous (and funny) outings, Don meets Rosie and his life gets turned upside down again when he decides to help Rosie find her father.

Though I gave this book five stars, I honestly have to say that there were some things that I didn't think worked at all in this book. First, there are not that many books that take place in Australia that I have read and I was happy to read this one. However, Don does not read Australian to me at all, instead he reads as "American" to me. I don't need people talking about dingoes or kangaroos or anything, but a few times I would forget this took place in Australia until some mention of it was made. Sad, but true. The author does a good job of describing New York though, so I wish that there had been that same level of detail for Australia.

And the other big hurdle I had to get over was with the character of Rosie. She was not at all what I pictured for Don and part of me wondered at him even wanting to be with her since she was just awful at times to him. At one point, Claudia says to Don that apparently she was providing advice to the wrong person meaning that Don was fine and Rosie was the one with the problem.

Even with that though I have to say that the writing and pacing was excellent. The dialogue we get with Don with certain characters does crack me up a lot and I was rooting for him from beginning to end. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Lost momentum & will. Just wasn't for me; officially flipping to DNF. (I think I've been reading it > 1 year!)
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
This has been reviewed a gadzillion times in the press and online. A few notes....

It doesn't surprise me, having read a little of the background of this once I finished the book, that it was intended as a screenplay. It is sloppy as a novel and, as many have mentioned, once it moves to NY, the story really becomes a corny romance.

However, I am surprised to see it is considered chicklit, it deserves better. It is hilarious from that fabulous start: 'I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.' I can see why it's described as that old-fashioned thing, a screwball comedy.

It is impossible to write a book like this without having to endure the moral considerations. Is it okay to write about weird people if one isn't weird (perhaps the author is?)?. Is it a politically correct portrayal of Aspergers if the person does have Aspergers? Some people who deal with it at close quarters say yes, others no. I don't really understand why books (etc) have to be scrutinised in this way, why characters have to be labelled, why they have to receive approval. This is a book about a weird guy. He is inadvertently funny. As the story develops it may be that he plays up on that on purpose, making him advertently funny. The situations are funny. They are described in funny ways. The author's had fun. Probably his lucky proofreader had fun too.

The darn thing's funny, really funny, most of the time. That should be enough. It's enough for me. ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hahn, AnnetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,973,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible