The Rosie Project (2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Series: Don Tillman (1)

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. Then a chance encounter gives him an idea. He will design a questionnaire-a sixteen-page, scientifically researched document-to find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker or a late-arriver. Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is strangely beguiling, fiery and intelligent. And she is also on a quest of her own. She's looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might just be able to help her with-even if he does wear quick-dry clothes and eat lobster every single Tuesday night.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Similar search for love, romance. If I explain more i would give to many spoilers
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhán Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (473)  Dutch (8)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  All languages (490)
I really really loved it!!!

I've not read a lot of books with main characters who are on the autism spectrum, but this has got to be my favourite! I liked how the author used the perspective of Don, and made the book really funny in a way....not making-fun-of-autistic-people way, but more how-autistic-people-see-it-differently-way.

I'm writing this review a bit after I read it, and just today I watched the movie The Accountant with my family. And I really liked the movie, and the way it shows that autism is like a different scale. You can't measure compare apples with oranges; they're just not the same. And, what I'm trying to say is, that this book made me feel the same way.

I'm not on the spectrum(to my knowledge, and personally don't think I might be) and I don't know anyone who is on the spectrum (rather who knows they're on the spectrum), and so this book was like a learning experience too, for what it is like for people who think differently.

Now, to make a confession, I really really like characters who are badass (in any way), and are competent. Like any character with out-of-this-world kinda skills, I love the character. Especially if they're overcoming some bumps in the road. And, so you might have probably guessed it, but my favourite scene in this book was the scene where they pretend to be bartenders, and he just really enjoys it, and does all the math in his head, and just I loved it!!!

The romance was also well written, and boy, was I glad that it was clean. I really liked Rosie, and how she seems to just not care, or maybe not register (in a way) how different Don is. Different compared to neurotypicals, of course.

I really liked it, and I recommend it to anyone who likes romance (completely clean)(though there were a lot of sex-jokes, and one of the characters is a serious asshole, and tries to sleep with a woman from every country in the world), a feel-good book, slight angst, competent characters, and science. ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
Wanted something quick & light so I reread this in anticipation of reading the sequel. ( )
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book. It seems to characterize a person with autism fairly accurately, at least it is similar to other things I have read. The humor helped show what some people must face and come to terms with. Don Tillman, a genetics associate professor at a university in Melbourne, Australia, sets out to find a life partner by creating a questionnaire which he distributes widely (The Wife Project). However, the questionnaire is very specific. His friend and colleague, Gene, sends a psychology graduate student, Rosie, to see him. She is looking for her biological father and he decides to help her by collecting DNA samples from all of the possibilities (The Father Project). When he finally realizes that he has feelings for Rosie, the Rosie Project begins. ( )
  baughga | Feb 19, 2021 |
Loved this. Funny and poignant. Perfect pandemic read. ( )
  RGilbraith | Jan 3, 2021 |
It's as if Sheldon decided to find a wife. But, you know, with a well constructed character. ( )
  ladyars | Dec 31, 2020 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hahn, AnnetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,888,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible