The London Eye Mystery (2007)

by Siobhan Dowd

Series: Ted Spark (1)

When Ted and Kat's cousin Salim disappears from the London Eye ferris wheel, the two siblings must work together--Ted with his brain that is "wired differently" and impatient Kat--to try to solve the mystery of what happened to Salim.

English (95)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (98)
Tween/teen fiction; mystery/suspense. A boy walks on board a pod of the London Eye, then seemingly disappears into thin air, and it's up to his cousins--autistic/mathematical savant Ted and his older sister Kat to figure out what happened to him. Ted's narration is interesting and the author keeps up the suspense through the very end--there is a brief mention of the possibility of a kidnapper wanting to do "sex stuff," which is why I'd recommend this book for more mature children. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Interesting to have an autistic POV, though there were a number of times it felt inconsistent. Good enough mystery. My favorite part was how the reader made Salim sound kind of like a cleaned-up Lister from Red Dwarf.

********
Read Harder: Middle grade novel ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
RGG: A middle-grade Curious Incident. Clever and likely mystery. Weather science. Britishisms may be confusing. Reading Interest: 10-13.
  rgruberexcel | Jun 9, 2021 |
Just perfect for me--engaging throughout with nary a misstep (normally even my favourite book has a chapter, character, or passage I could do without, but not this one--consistently good!), and moving to boot, tears in my eyes, as it hurried toward its conclusion.

I suppose for most people it's an unusual narrator (unless you've read the similar Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time or the like), but for me Ted's thinking is closer to my way of thinking than the other members of his family, and I could relate. (I'm not to his extent--my Mom insists, like Young Sheldon, I've been tested, I'm fine--but I know I can't read people and grew up lacking what everyone else called common sense and am exceedingly literal. I learned how to behave by reading and watching tv and film (terrible ways to learn) and eventual reconciled them with observed behaviour around me, so I can pass.)

Loved it.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). I feel a lot of readers automatically render any book they enjoy 5, but I grade on a curve! ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Not an incredibly original main character, true, but a heart-warming and funny story with great writing. I was also impressed by the author having the guts to put in a dead body. (Maybe guts wasn't such a good word to use in that sentence...) ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

For Donal
My favorite thing to do in London is to fly the Eye.
Mum's lips pressed up tight. I figured out that Kat made her cross. But I didn't care. I know I'm a weirdo. My brain runs on a different operating system from other people's. I see things they don't and somethings they see things I don't. As far as I'm concerned, if Andy Warhol was like me, then one day I'd be a cultural icon too. Instead of soup cans and movie stars, I'd be famous for my weather charts and formal suits and that would be good.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,438,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible