Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

Vinegar Girl

by Anne Tyler

Series: The Hogarth Shakespeare (3)

1,05019211,565 (3.52)136
    The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare (cbl_tn)
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    Love in Idleness by Amanda Craig (VenusofUrbino)
    VenusofUrbino: Another Shakespeare retelling (this time "A Midsummer Night's Dream") that was really fun.

English (194)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (198)
What an unalloyed pleasure! I was hesitant on the whole rewriting-Shakespeare concept--I'm not a purist, and Will himself borrowed plots aplenty in his day--but I enjoy a good surprise, and how surprising can a rewritten Shakespeare play be? Plenty, apparently. And Tyler takes the story a step beyond where others might have stopped, and that brought a tear to my eye, so well done.

The writing itself seemed effortless, which is the very best and most difficult kind of writing to achieve. All the characters were either likable or interesting or both. It was relatively short, but exactly the right length.

4 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't allow for that, so I have to round down in this case as 5 stars have to be my very favourites. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While it was an interesting redo of Shakespeare, this isn't the type of novel I typically read. However I'm a long time reader of the author and was ready to dive into another of her works. Knowing what was going to happen did distract from the read but overall it was fine ( )
  Mooose | Sep 17, 2018 |
I was looking for a light quick book to read (Cory Doctorow's Walkaway was getting too politically theoretical) and Vinegar Girl was just the ticket. Taming of the Shrew is one of my least favorite Shakespearean comedies, but Anne Tyler gave it a fun retelling. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
This is the third book I've read in the Hogarth Shakespeare series. Modern day authors were tasked to take one of the Bard's works and adapt them into a novel. This one is an adaptation of the Taming of the Shrew. To be honest, I'm not that familar with the play itself, other than it was a movie staring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in the 60's.

In this take, Kate runs the household for her eccentric medical researcher father and her flighty pretty sister. She's a teaching assistant in a private school and doesn't really know what to do with her life. Her father, on the brink of an important breakthrough, comes to her with an outlandish proposal. His lab assistant, Pyotr, is about to be deported and the work can't be completed without him. So, the bright idea is that Kate should marry Pyotr so he can stay in the country. And drama unfurls.

This was a pretty good story, some comedy, romantic tension. This was my first Tyler book, so I'm not sure if this is typical of her work, but its a good read. Of my 3 Hogarth reads, this one is probably my 2nd favorite (Hag Seed is still in the lead).

7/10

S: 7/12/18 - 7/20/18 (9 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Jul 30, 2018 |

Anne Tylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dong, LorenDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kate Battista was gardening out back when she heard the telephone ring in the kitchen.
"Not all scientists prefer blondes."
(The unsatisfying thing about practicing restraint was that nobody knew you were practicing it.)
The thought didn't disturb her. She had used this room up, she felt. She had used this life up.
But she was pleased, in spite of herself. She knew what he was trying to say. ¶ It crossed her mind that if her mother had known too—if she had been able to read the signals—the lives of all four of them might have been much happier. ¶ For the first time, it occurred to her that she herself was getting better at reading signals.

Anne Tyler's modern retelling of the Shakespeare play "The taming of the shrew."

William Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew retold as Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler, Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times bestseller

Anne Tyler’s retelling of The Taming of the Shrew asks whether a thoroughly modern, independent woman like Kate would ever sacrifice herself for a man. Its answer is as individual, offbeat, and funny as Kate herself.

Kate Battista feels stuck. How did she end up running house and home for her eccentric scientist father and her uppity, pretty younger sister, Bunny? Plus, she’s always in trouble at work—her preschool charges adore her, but their parents don’t always appreciate her unusual opinions and forthright manner.

Dr. Battista has his own problems. After years in the academic wilderness, he is on the verge of a breakthrough. His research could help millions. There’s only one problem: his brilliant young lab assistant, Pyotr, is about to be deported. And without Pyotr, Dr. Battista’s work may not ever be realized.

When Dr. Battista cooks up an outrageous plan that will enable Pyotr to stay in the country, he’s relying—as usual—on Kate to help him. Kate is furious: this time he’s really asking too much. Will she be able to resist the two men’s touchingly ludicrous campaign to bring her around?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 14 Nov 2015 21:18:48 -0500)

Anne Tyler's retelling of the Shakespeare play "The taming of the shrew."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Tyler's book Vinegar Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,799,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible