The Speed of Dark

by Elizabeth Moon

2,0631036,036 (3.99)2 / 219
Lou Arrendale is an autistic man who is offered a chance to try an experimental "cure" for his condition. Now Lou must decide if he should submit to a surgery that may change the way he views the world -- and the very essence of who he is.
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Charlie is definitely not like Lou, true. But their experiences and perspectives have the same mental effect on readers.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (tortoise)
    tortoise: Both are well-written novels with a first-person autistic-spectrum narrator. The Curious Incident has a better-constructed plot (the villain in The Speed of Dark is a bit cartoonish), but The Speed of Dark is I think more interesting as a commentary on autism.… (more)
    Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Pathological corporate greed, manipulation of the disabled/differently abled, and both for space applications, but Falling Free has a much more proactive response to being exploited
    This Alien Shore by C. S. Friedman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the exploration of human intelligences and mental health.
    The Island Keeper by Harry Mazer (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For not knowing enough yet.
    A Wizard Alone by Diane Duane (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: One of the young wizard's is autistic. For comparison of viewpoint and choices.
    The Multiplex Man by James P. Hogan (infiniteletters)
    Too Late to Die Young: Nearly True Tales from a Life by Harriet McBryde Johnson (infiniteletters)
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: A somewhat more lighthearted look...
    My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor (infiniteletters)

English (100)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (103)
Lou Arrendale, an autistic man is offered a chance to try an experimental "cure" for his condition. Now he must decide if he should submit to a surgery that may change the way he views the world - and the very essence of who he is.
  melsbks | Nov 4, 2021 |
I am a big fan of fantasy and science fiction novels especially if they are long and have several books in the series. I really enjoy a series of books that I can immerse myself in and I first picked up an Elizabeth Moon novel because it was long and part of a multi-novel series. I continue to read her books because I find them engrossing and highly enjoyable. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Superb speculative fiction, given to me -- no, pressed on me -- by a friend who is a parent of someone with Asperger's. ( )
  wordloversf | Aug 14, 2021 |
Now on Amazon, you get a bunch of reviews about how this isn't science fiction and all... but the main characters in this book are about as alien as a human can get and still be more than just a plant or a rock or a blog of something.

A good read indeed ( )

Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (329)
Questions, always questions.
Normal is a setting on a dryer.
I had to learn to say conventional things even when I did not feel them, because that is part of fitting in and learning to get along. Has anyone ever asked Mr. Crenshaw to fit in, to get along?
I wonder, not for the first time, why a woman friend is called a girlfriend and not a womanfriend.
Bad parents make things hard and painful for their children and then say it was to help them grow. Growing and living are hard enough already; children do not need things to be harder.
I do not understand the rules about interrupting. It is always impolite for me to interrupt other people, but other people do not seem to think it is impolite for them to interrupt me in circumstances when I should not interrupt them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,396,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible