Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Series: Wonder (1)

9,1911130585 (4.49)298
Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)
Recently added byjenniegoose, lulugv, private library, Arina40, madelynberger, ILikeThemBooks, TCAuckland
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (1,104)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,127)
This is a great book to teach students about acceptance. It could be taught in an english class to talk to students about bullying and things of that nature. This book is definitely for older kids because it is a longer novel. ( )
  madelynberger | Nov 23, 2020 |
Wonder is about a boy named Auggie born with facial differences who starts fifth grade. Auggie faces so many hardships living with his condition, like feeling like a burden to his family, bullying, and just feeling different in general. His journey to self acceptance is an inspiring story, and a real tear jerker. I would recommend this story to kids in the middle grades, as it covers many important topic for this coming of age group. It teaches empathy, compassion, and kindness through a good story that is sure to keep kids entertained. ( )
  kaylc05 | Nov 20, 2020 |
The movie, chapter book shows great love and acceptance of a young boy with a condition. I absolutely love the positivity, friendship, and care this movie portrays.
  dgrageda | Nov 20, 2020 |
Wonder was written by R.J. Palacio. This book is the winner of many awards across fours different states, a few consist of Mark Twain Award (2015), The Junior Young Reader's Choice Award (2015), and the Caudill Award. August (Auggie) Pullman, born with facial differences, with Auggie requiring so much attention it is hard to pay attention to Auggie's sister. How will she fit into the picture? Auggie because of the way he looks has not been allowed into a regular education classroom. The book is inspirational and proves the saying to not judge a book by its cover. The intended audience is 4th and up, any and everyone should read this book! You will walk away inspired, and ready to make a change in education! (compound) I would make this a summer reading assigned book. It is important to realize that this situation has happened in real life before, and it will again but this book provides inspiration to start making changes. ( )
  atf009 | Nov 20, 2020 |
This book is about August Pullman- Auggie for short who is a 5th grade boy with facial deformities. Wonder follows Auggie's life and all of the struggles he goes through as he starts in person classes. This book is written from Auggie's perspective and it shows an in depth look at his inner thoughts and feelings. ( )
  TaylorHenry | Nov 19, 2020 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, TadCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,515,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible