Wonder by R. J. Palacio
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (531)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (546)
This is an amazing book. It's impressive how strong August is. It is a heartwarming story with one particularly sad part. Overall it is a hopeful story about the good people can find in themselves and others if they just give it a chance. ( )
1 vote Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Such an emotionally satisfying book. The author doesn't sugarcoat the reality of Auggie's deformity. Everything that could happen to someone like Auggie is honestly portrayed. The family interactions are warm and supportive and real, and that makes Auggie's story so genuine. Kids who read this will gain a greater sense of what it means to be in someone else's shoes, and the importance of kindness and compassion. ( )
1 vote Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
R.J. Palacio's book "Wonder" is a well-written, sweet story with a nice message. It does a pretty good job portraying the trials and tribulations of kids in middle school -- especially those who don't fit in with the popular crowd.

The story centers on August Pullman, a young man with an abnormal face, who is starting a new school. He grows through the story, as do most of the kids who surround him. It's a nice story and a good one for a middle school aged student to read, for sure.

I didn't particularly like the novel's shifting points of view -- mainly because there wasn't enough difference in the voices of each character. But otherwise, I can see why this book earned so much acclaim... it really is a nice story overall. ( )
1 vote amerynth | Jan 31, 2016 |
This is a recommended summer reading book for the local middle school students in my area. I decided to read it because students keep asking me if this is a good book and other students keep telling me this is a good book. I listened to the audiobook so that I could hear all of the different narrators for the story. The main character, Auggie, turned out to be my least favorite. I also did not like his mother and father. I just felt like he was babied because of his birth defect. The parents went from homeschooling to putting him into a real middle school with no preparation for real life and how to handle people's reactions. I did like some of the other characters and I liked how the story was made up of different narratives all revolving around their interactions with Auggie. I have mixed emotions about this book. I would recommend "Out of My Mind" by S. Draper instead of Wonder if I were trying to get middle school students to learn about being kind to those who are different. This book seemed to push too hard to make readers feel super sympathetic towards the main character. The message I felt the author was telling young readers was that you should be nice and kind to people who look different. But I think people should be nice and kind to all people regardless of what they look like. The main character was never challenged to push outside his own insecurities and treat others in a kind way. Instead everyone catered to this little boy which I felt made him very selfish and self-centered...in my opinion. For me this book is not a favorite but at least I read it and can help recommend books that deal with this topic. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I know this is meant for Young Adults but I can see where adults of any age might profit from its lessons. Its a lovely little story about a deformed little boy making his first foray into the school system after years of being home schooled. I recently read a positive review about the sequel to this so I decided to start with 'Wonder' now I'm off to get the sequel (insert smiley face here).
  MissItaly | Jan 28, 2016 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,015,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible