Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Series: Wonder (1)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (1,009)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,032)
I was surprised by how much I liked this. Especially liked the reference to some of my favourite bands/songs, particularly towards the end. ( )
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
What is life like for a kid whose face doesn't look like everybody else's? Meet Auggie Pullman. And his sister. And his new best friend and a few of his classmates and his sister's boyfriend. Together they'll tell you the story of a kid who's used to being stared at and treated differently, a kid who wishes he could just blend in.

Auggie is about to start 5th grade. Because of numerous operations and health concerns his whole life, this is the first time he'll be able to go to a real school - and he just knows it'll be a disaster. What Auggie doesn't realize yet is that he's not the only kid who's made of stronger stuff than he seems at first glance.

By looking through the eyes of Auggie and the people in his life, we get a panoramic view of the ways a person’s physical deformity can change the landscape of his life and the lives of those around him. Auggie gets treated differently everywhere he goes: at school, people stare and mostly stay away; at home, his parents, even though they do a great job raising two kids in a happy home, baby him and allow him to be the focus of family life. (His sister’s narration includes her nonchalant confession that she has come to grips with her family’s world revolving around Auggie, which often means her parents miss out on her big moments.) Thankfully, the book never offers a blanket prescription for the best way to interact with Auggie. Instead, Palacio seems to suggest that just like any other kid, Auggie will get along with some folks and not others; he has good days and bad days; he makes courageous choices and stupid mistakes.

I wondered (heh) about the title when I first finished the book. But after some reflection, I decided it was perfect. One of the awe-inspiring qualities in human beings is that there is more to us than anybody could suspect, and the most spoiled or rejected or unconfident or average of us maintains a surprising capacity for kindness and magnanimity. This qualifies as miraculous, don’t you think? Do you ever gaze with wonder at a person who has defied your expectations in the loveliest of ways? That’s the kind of wonder that blooms all through Palacio’s carefully woven debut novel.

Since Wonder currently sits on a nearly-unassailed pedestal, ripe to receive a Newbery medal, I feel the need to be unusually critically honest, just to be fair to the other titles that are (aren’t they?) being considered. Though Palacio’s story is unique and well-wrought, her writing is not as stand-out as the writing of other award-winning (or potentially award-winning) children’s authors. There is very little imagery, and I didn’t leave the book with the fondness for words that usually follows a delicious read. Also, some of the events that are ostensibly occurring among elementary schoolers seem more likely to happen late in middle school or even in high school, causing many of the important scenes of the story to ring less true than they might if the characters were older.

But. Wonder is one of the best children’s stories I’ve read this year, and Palacio deserves plenty of accolades in whatever form they may arrive. ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |
"Sometimes I think my head is so big because it is so full of dreams."

Good fucking lord. It has been months since I finished this one, and it still gets me emotional. It is undoubtedly one of the best books I've read, and Auggie is one of my favourite characters. There is so much I want to say, but to sum it up: I'm still gushing over this heavy yet heart-warming story. I don't want to sound cliché but I connected with Auggie both through his own character and "disability" but also as another person with disabilities (albeit mental) who grew up often viewed as "very different". I don't know. It's not just positive, but it handles it dark moments so well and realistically; I wish there was a book like this when I was a bit younger... because it's great. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
I love this book so much. It taught me a lot about my self and the world around me. It made me realize that can't judge people by their appearances . This book also touched me because it gave me hope that there are genuinely nice people in the world. Like Auggie's friends in the book that didn't care what he look like and treated him like a normal human being, because he is normal. I would recommend this book to anybody. It is a really powerful and touching book. ( )
  hannahgumersell | Nov 7, 2019 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,246,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible