Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Series: Wonder (1)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Sam: The Boy Behind The Mask by Tom Hallman (dara85)
    dara85: True story of boy with facial deformity.
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (1,161)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  German (4)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,185)
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was truly an inspiring read about how being different isn't a bad thing, and I think it is an excellent book for students to read. ( )
  PaytonSiragusa | Sep 29, 2022 |
For my full review on this novel, click here. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Everyone seems to love this book all over the place – apparently for very convincing reasons, as it deals with what a deformed little boy has to go through in school when his new classmates are confronted with his face for the first time. This is a book about bullying, but also about hope, friendship and family. And it’s a good book, featuring a believable and interesting protagonist you simply can’t help but relate to.

August „Auggie“ Pullman has been born with a cleft palate which left him with a facial deformation, influencing his hearing abilities and scaring a lot of the people he meets away. After being homeschooled for quite some years, at the age of ten, Auggie’s parents finally decide to allow him to enter middle school – leading Auggie into the beginning of a new chapter in his life, a chapter in which he is going to be confronted with friendship and the darkest sides of bullying alike. Entering this novel, I didn’t know that cleft palates occure in 1 to 2 per 1000 births in the developed world – the subject of the novel is certainly a very strong and important one, a subject people should be confronted with because, after all, there is still too much bullying in this world.

Palacio structured her book in a very interesting way by including the viewpoints of several characters. After allowing the reader to get used to Auggie’s voice, we meet his sister Via, then one of Auggie’s friends at school, Summer, afterwards another classmate called Jack, then Via’s boyfriend and finally an old friend of Via, Miranda. All of them were characterized by unique voices … a method I didn’t approve of at all. Why does an author need to write entire chapters without capitalization and in fragmented sentences just to underline that the character doesn’t seem to care about grammar and how to express oneself properly? It was annoying and a struggle to read, as were the Facebook chat messages between two characters, which mainly consisted of messages like „can we b frenz agen?“ or „awsum!!!!“ by characters who talk in their own point of view chapters sophisticated enough to appear capable of using the English language without butchering it. It is simply contradictory when the author writes about one character in his very own punctuation, but then writes inconsistently about the voices of others.

If you don’t want to be spoiled about the ending, then please don’t read the parts I marked as such. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
The ending is happier than a novel with such a dark and depressing topic should be allowed to be. Reminiscent of successful movies like „Shawshank Redemption“, this tale dealt with serious topics and then allowed the topic hope to take over the style of the story. But in comparison with Shawshank, „Wonder“ didn’t conclude on a bitter-sweet and realistic note, it simply cried out „Here is your happy ending!“ and „Be happy about it!“ I did care for Auggie and was happy to realize that in the ending he had his own touching and amazing moments. But it took away a lot of the realistic aspects from the beginning, because when does a story actually end on such a happy note in real life? Remember that this is simply my personal opinion, but I thought that a more subtile conclusion would have been more memorable. The way it was written, this simply appeared to be like another school drama, even in spite of all the serious topics which were attached in the beginning and the middle part.

Some time after the release of Wonder, R.J. Palacio published another chapter with the point of view of Julian, one of the kids who bullied Auggie in school. Not even Goodreads seems to know how to deal with this story, as there is one edition of Wonder with more than 160,000 ratings (the one I am reviewing right now) and then another edition with 110,000 ratings which includes the ten pages from the Julian chapter. Until a few weeks ago, those two editions were combined in a single book, yet now they have been divided into two different books on GR – which is confusing as hell. (Edit: As of October 2016, the two editions are combined as one single edition again.) Anyway, I gave the other edition two stars because of the way Palacio tried (and for me, obviously, failed) to excuse bullying. Julian was revealed to have suffered from nightmares about scary faces in his childhood, which made him feel like Auggie is just another monster – thus his awful behavior towards him. I don’t doubt that something like this might happen in real life, just as, after all, there is no excuse for bullying. It was the way Palacio sounded as if this was to redeem Julian’s character which confused me and ultimately made me feel like having some negative experiences in one’s childhood makes up for plaguing someone who isn’t even responsible for the way he looks.

This is a book loved by almost everyone, and they are all right. Believe them. I’m just this weird reader who almost never likes those books which have received all the attention in the universe.

Buddy Read with Anne. Click here for her review.
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
top 5 disabled people books. ( )
  TrinityYouth | Aug 4, 2022 |
Inspiring, enriching, thought-provoking. ( )
  vpor1222 | Jul 21, 2022 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, TadCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,289,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible