Wonder by R. J. Palacio
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (653)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (670)
I liked the book Wonder for 2 reasons. First, I enjoyed how that story was told in first person by 4 different people. I feel that it gave me the chance to understand the story line from each character’s perspective. I especially enjoyed getting to view the same situation from more than one point of view, for example, when Auggie talks about his experiences at school and then Summer talks about everything from her perspective. The second thing I liked about the book was how the precepts that were mentioned in the story were all in the back of the book, and even some that the children from the story had wrote themselves. Each of the precepts were unique to the characters and even drew from different points in the story. My favorite was Charlotte Cody’s which read “It’s not enough to be friendly. You have to be a friend.” I feel like this summed the character Charlotte perfectly, and the book. Wonder has a great lesson behind it, don’t judge a book by its cover, you never know what someone is like just by how they look, its who they are on the inside that really matters. ( )
  vfromm1 | Feb 21, 2017 |
The big idea in this book is finding your identity and being accepted. The characters are all starting at new schools, some in middle school and some in high school, two both very difficult times for children. All anyone wants at that age is to fit in and be “popular” or at least accepted. I very much enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. First, I loved the characters. Every single character was so different and all had their own individual personalities and every day challenges. Also the author allows the reader to see all of the main characters points of views on different events. This made the book so hard to put down because I felt like I connected with them all in different ways. For example Via. Via is Augusts older sister. Although she does not have the Treacher Collins disease, she fights a constant battle individually and with others throughout the book trying to protect her brother. She would never feel ashamed of her brother, but on the other hand she just started high school and it felt nice for once that no one looked at her like the girl who’s brother had a problem. Another character that changed my opinion once I read their point of view was Miranda. At first we see from Via’s point of view that Miranda completely changed and just started ignoring her for no reason. I disliked Miranda for doing this to Via until I read why Miranda did it. She explained herself and her actions in a way that made sense and helped the reader see her side. Although this book does give many different points of views, it also ties all together in a way that connects the plot and makes the story move smoothly and fluently. In the book the main plot is directed to August, the main character, because he had the most trouble finding his confidence, but when the reader looks at the book as a whole you will notice that all of the characters are going through the same thing. ( )
  liannarossi | Feb 20, 2017 |
Grade 5 read aloud about a 5th grade boy who has a face deformity. He is homeschooled most of his life and finally goes to a public school in which he has to deal with things he has never dealt with before ( )
  cartieraf1 | Feb 18, 2017 |
The book “Wonder” captured the universal idea that the foundation of a meaningful friendship are not built from physical characteristics or on a person’s socioeconomic statue, but on the quality of character the person possess inside them. In simpler words, the theme is “don’t judge a book by its cover”. I enjoyed how Palacio developed her characters and introduced differing perspectives to the plot. For example, when Auggie overhears Jack Will talking behind his back to Julian, the reader has a sense of animosity towards him, but in Jack Will’s perspective, Palacio reveals to the reader how much Jack Will actually looks up to Auggie and values him as a friend, which in Auggie’s perspective, was not very apparent. Another reason why I liked this book was the author’s ability to push readers into thinking about tough situations and putting themselves in the characters shoes. For example, Olivia feels guilty for wanting to have a normal life and not having everyone refer to her as “Auggie’s sister.” As a reader, you are forced to think about how having a sibling with craniofacial disorder could interfere with your life and how you might be torn inside having to choose between your sibling or things like friends, school, etc. One other plus to this book was the author’s style of writing, which was uniquely reflected to each character. For example, in Justin’s perspective, we notice many grammatical writing errors such as capitalization, possibly reflecting the way Justin speaks or writes himself. ( )
  thodge3 | Feb 18, 2017 |
In my opinion, Wonder, is an excellent book to share with an upper primary and early middle school classroom. The underlying themes of this book: alienation, friendship, bullying, and acceptance, are ones that many students will be able to connect with. The storyline of a student alienated based on his appearance is especially appropriate in middle school, many students of this age have similar fears and stories, though hopefully not as intense or heart wrenching as the tale of August Pullman. A few literary choices that the author made would make this an academically stimulating book as well for young readers. The choice to separate sections of the book into various points of view: telling portions of the story though the eyes of August, Via, Summer, Jack, Justin, and Miranda was a creative one that forces readers to focus on how the point of view affects the storyline. This understanding also facilitates an understanding that two people can view on situation in two completely different ways. The pacing of the book was well done, leaving the reader in suspense often enough to promote continued reading. One such example of this pacing is the beginning of the Jack Will portion of the book, in which the reader knows why August is mad at Jack but must read through while Jack himself tries to work it out. This keeps readers on the edge of their seats, turning pages quickly until the realization is finally made. Stylistically, however, some choices made by the author may lead to student difficulty. I personally found the writing style of the Justin section to be very confusing and overwhelming: the lack of capitalization or quotation marks lead to a longer period of time needed to decipher the section, and a lack of reading fluency. This decision is creative, and supports the Justin character’s suggested Turrets’ Syndrome well, but could be daunting for a young reader to get through. Justin’s disability, along with the physical disability of August Pullman, combine to create a powerful message for the reader. No one deserves to be alienated for forces outside of their control, and that every person has their own personal take on a situation. A friendship offered to August by Summer and Jack, and eventually by the whole school, demonstrates the importance of offering a hand to anyone who is alone or who needs support. The use of multiple points of view to tell the story serves to demonstrate to readers how many different ways there are to interpret a situation, and encourages them to find alternative appraisals when faced with a difficult situation themselves. ( )
  elaine.shea | Feb 16, 2017 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,496,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible