Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Series: Wonder (1)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Sam: The Boy Behind The Mask by Tom Hallman (dara85)
    dara85: True story of boy with facial deformity.
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (1,133)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,156)
I liked this book. I thought Auggie had a good voice and I love the fact that this book and people like Auggie have been given a spot at the literary table and won so much distinction. It did a great job of humanizing the experience-- especially for younger children who don't typically empathize well--- and I loved it. *

That being said, I didn't like some of the book. I felt like the forays into Via and Justin and Miranda's viewpoint detracted from the experience. And I honestly needed a reason to care about their opinions. For a book aimed at younger readers, the older experience wasn't relatable. I think it would have been better as a companion novel that gave us more of an opportunity to care about them as individuals. I liked the idea of the overlooked older sister, but not as a secondary character that still circled around Auggie. Probably an unpopular opinion, but there it is.

*It begs the question: Could something like this be done that talks about race? or depression? or is this conversation possible because there are so few people like Auggie? I think discussing differences needs to happen. But we can't restrict it to the obvious. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
So it has been a few days since I finished the book but I still keep thinking about this book so frequently that I guess I just have to recommend it to everyone despite the high rating already speaking for it.

This story made my heart ache, made me giggle, made me cry with my nose runny but most importantly, it reassured me. We all know that being kind is a basic core trait of a decent human being but to have my exact values reinforced one after another throughout reading this wonderful story really gave me so much more hope, that there are more people out there who are equally compassionate.

Sharing one of my multiple favourite quotes from this book..

“There are always going to be jerks in the world, Auggie,” she said, looking at me. “But I really believe, and Daddy really believes, that there are more good people on this earth than bad people, and the good people watch out for each other and take care of each other.”
All in all, this book made me believe and will always be a reminder for me to just be kinder than necessary as much as I can.
"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." ( )
  violetbaleine | Sep 22, 2021 |
A beautiful story about friendship, understanding people and giving them a chance before judging. I think everyone can take something valuable after reading Wonder and the obvious one is to not judge people by their appearance. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
This story made my heart happy. ( )
  stacyastokes | Sep 7, 2021 |
Reasonably quick read. Really uplifting story, would recommend it to absolutely anyone. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, TadCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,481,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible