Rules (2006)

by Cynthia Lord

Frustrated at life with an autistic brother, twelve-year-old Catherine longs for a normal existence but her world is further complicated by a friendship with an young paraplegic.

This Newbery Honor Book is a heartfelt and witty story about feeling different and finding acceptance--beyond the rules.

Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules-from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public"-in order to stop his embarrassing behaviors. But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a paraplegic boy, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal?
  stwombly | Apr 25, 2021 |
Middle. This story follows Catherine, a very normal girl, who has a very unnormal life. During the book, she struggles to accept her brother and simultaneously handle the responsibility she must take on as a part of her family. While this book is wonderful in many ways, it still gives some members of the ASD community pause, and may not be perfect for a classroom read.
  sarahcasimes | Apr 20, 2021 |
This would be a wonderful book for intermediate students. It tells the story of a girl named Catherine, whose brother David has autism. Catherine is trying to figure out how she wants her identity to look to the outside world, while she struggles with her acceptance of her brother's way of being, and with her attempts to build a friendship with her new neighbor Kristi. David regularly attends occupational therapy at the local clinic, and Catherine goes with him, eventually developing a close friendship with a boy named Jason, who is handicapped and can not speak. Catherine helps him experience different aspects of life, and the book ends with her putting aside the shame she feels about being friends with Jason and having David as her brother, and she finally comes to fully accept both of them for who they are, realizing that the way they are is more than enough. This book is helpful because it is very inclusive toward people with disabilities, and sets up a modern family life that many people could relate to. I would use this book during a book study in order for students to gain another perspective and to open their minds and hearts toward different lifestyles and disabilities.
  ledambrockman | Apr 18, 2021 |
Realistic Fiction; Intermediate; Middle; The book tells the story about a young boy, David, who has autism from the perspective of his older sister. The reader watches the evolution of their relationship as Catherine goes from being embarrassed and frustrated with David to standing up for him and her new friend Jason who is unable to speak. David struggles to pick up on social cues and remembers the lists of rules Catherine creates for him. This book will be great for students who have a loved one with a disability as well as any other student. This would be great for independent readers as well as a class read aloud. ( )
  MaggieRemy | Apr 17, 2021 |
Intermediate; Middle; Realistic Fiction; This is a great story told by a girl who's younger brother has autism. She gets embarrassed by and frustrated at her brother, but she begins to encounter Ryan, who is rude to David and, sees that she should not be embarrassed by him. As her friendship grows with a young boy in a wheelchair who cannot speak, she begins standing up for the people she loves and embracing what makes them different. This book is perfect for students who have somebody in their lives with a disability as well as a good read aloud novel. ( )
  MaggieRemy | Apr 16, 2021 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Piemme Junior (Il battello a vapore)
My deepest appreciation to:
Everyone at Scholastic Press, especially Marijka Kostiw, Kristina Albertson, Tracey Mack, and Leslie Budnick.

Tracey Adams, my wonderful agent.

The members of my critique groups, each of whom possess that rare combination of Charlotte the spider: a true friend and a good writer.

My retreat-mates who put me on the right track: Franny Billingsley, Toni Buzzeo, Sarah Lamstein, Dana Walrath, Mary Atkinson, Carol Peacock, and Jackie Davies.
With special thanks to Amy Butler Greenfield, Nancy Werlin, Amanda Jenkins, Denise Johns, Melissa Wyatt, Lisa Firke, Lisa Harkrader, Laura Weiss, Mary Pearson, Amy McAuley, and Kristina Cliff-Evans.

And to my parents, Earl and Elaine Lord, who gave me wings but always left the porch light on to show the way home.
To John, Julia, and Gregory
I love you more than words.
"Come on, David." I let go of his sleeve, afraid I'll rip it. When he was little, I could pull my brother behind me if he didn't want to do something, but now David's eight and too strong to be pulled.
I add another rule to David's list: Sometimes people laugh when they like you. But sometimes they laugh to hurt you.
"I wish everyone had the same chances," I say. "Because it stinks a big one that they don't."
Sometimes I wish someone would invent a pill so David'd wake up one morning without autism, like someone waking up from a long coma, and he'd say, "Jeez, Catherine, where have I been?"

Frustrated with a life that revolves around the needs of her autistic brother, twelve-year-old Catherine longs for a "normal" existence but instead finds her world further complicated and enriched by friendship with a young paraplegic.

Curriculum Connection: 6th Grade Reading Standard: 2. Reading for All Purposes

1. Understanding the meaning within different types of literature depends on properly analyzing literary components

b.  Use Craft and Structure to:
iii. Explain how an author develops the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a text. (CCSS: RL.6.6)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,843,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible