Rules (2006)

by Cynthia Lord

Frustrated at life with an autistic brother, twelve-year-old Catherine longs for a normal existence but her world is further complicated by a friendship with an young paraplegic.

On the one hand: it's a quick read, I found it engaging, and I identified with Catherine's painful embarrassment at being different from what she thinks of as normal -- I think the representation of a 12 YO girl is accurate. On the other hand: I read the reviews from people with autism and how this book makes them feel and I have to agree. There is no sympathy for David. There is very little celebration of his good qualities or of his talents -- just sibling resentment. While I liked that Catherine gets called out for being a jerk to her friend with cerebral palsy, her behavior was a bummer. I think it's a great book if you are sibling who feels overlooked and needs to let off a little steam. As a portrayal of autism or cerebral palsy, it's not a good representation. ( )
  jennybeast | Jun 3, 2022 |
A YA novel written from the perspective of the sister of a boy with autism. A great book! ( )
  sharonlesch | Mar 1, 2022 |
“When someone is upset, it’s not a good time to bring up your own problems.”
― Cynthia Lord, Rules

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
This is a book about a girl named Catherine, who's brother is autistic. She wants to live a normal life and make friends with the girl who just moved in next door. She ends up also making friends with Jason. He is confined to a wheel chair and cannot talk, but used a book and word cards to communicate with others. She faces a lot of the same issues I would think that most girls would face in her situation.
This book was surprisingly good. I choose it because I was looking for a book with a fish on the cover. I listened to the audio version and the narrator I thought did a spectacular job. I liked this book so much in fact that I bought a copy and I am going to give it to my 12 year old neice who also loves to read. I think this story has a great message for everyone. Not just those with loved ones with similar problems, or just for children, but soooo many people need to hear this I think. If you refer back to my quote that I used. I think that also holds a message that many need to hear.
How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Newbery Honor Award RGG: Told from the point of view of a sister with an autistic brother. She makes friends with a disabled boy and learns to overcome her embarrassment of their friendship as well as to be more accepting of her brother.
  rgruberexcel | Jun 29, 2021 |
This Newbery Honor Book is a heartfelt and witty story about feeling different and finding acceptance--beyond the rules.

Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules-from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public"-in order to stop his embarrassing behaviors. But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a paraplegic boy, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal?
  stwombly | Apr 25, 2021 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Piemme Junior (Il battello a vapore)
My deepest appreciation to:
Everyone at Scholastic Press, especially Marijka Kostiw, Kristina Albertson, Tracey Mack, and Leslie Budnick.

Tracey Adams, my wonderful agent.

The members of my critique groups, each of whom possess that rare combination of Charlotte the spider: a true friend and a good writer.

My retreat-mates who put me on the right track: Franny Billingsley, Toni Buzzeo, Sarah Lamstein, Dana Walrath, Mary Atkinson, Carol Peacock, and Jackie Davies.
With special thanks to Amy Butler Greenfield, Nancy Werlin, Amanda Jenkins, Denise Johns, Melissa Wyatt, Lisa Firke, Lisa Harkrader, Laura Weiss, Mary Pearson, Amy McAuley, and Kristina Cliff-Evans.

And to my parents, Earl and Elaine Lord, who gave me wings but always left the porch light on to show the way home.
To John, Julia, and Gregory
I love you more than words.
"Come on, David." I let go of his sleeve, afraid I'll rip it. When he was little, I could pull my brother behind me if he didn't want to do something, but now David's eight and too strong to be pulled.
I add another rule to David's list: Sometimes people laugh when they like you. But sometimes they laugh to hurt you.
"I wish everyone had the same chances," I say. "Because it stinks a big one that they don't."
Sometimes I wish someone would invent a pill so David'd wake up one morning without autism, like someone waking up from a long coma, and he'd say, "Jeez, Catherine, where have I been?"

Frustrated with a life that revolves around the needs of her autistic brother, twelve-year-old Catherine longs for a "normal" existence but instead finds her world further complicated and enriched by friendship with a young paraplegic.

Curriculum Connection: 6th Grade Reading Standard: 2. Reading for All Purposes

1. Understanding the meaning within different types of literature depends on properly analyzing literary components

b.  Use Craft and Structure to:
iii. Explain how an author develops the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a text. (CCSS: RL.6.6)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,009,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible