Motherless Brooklyn

by Jonathan Lethem

A walk on the wild side of Brooklyn's criminal underclass with a hero known as "The Human Freakshow," a would-be detective also answering to the name of Lionel Essrog. Essrog is a victim of Tourette's Syndrome; hapless and veering out of control, he fights himself and his disease.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (jeanned, Vulco1)
    Vulco1: A mystery story following a non-neuotypical person trying to solve a crime they are personally invested in while trying to navigate tricky interpersonal relationships.
    The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (InvisiblerMan)
    The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (InvisiblerMan)
    Chinaman's Chance by Ross Thomas (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Murder & deceit in the underworld...no one has tourette's but it's a great read.
    Men and Cartoons: Stories by Jonathan Lethem (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: A great collection of short stories by the same author.
    Not Me by Michael Lavigne (ehines)
    ehines: Not me is a different kind of novel than Motherless Brooklyn, but with a very similar spirit. The subject matter is more serious, but the protagonist is a comedian, with an attitude quite similar, to my mind, to the narrator of Motherless Brooklyn.
    Eight Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block (Darco)
    The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay (sturlington)
    Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis (InvisiblerMan)
    Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson (Darco)
    The Madman's Tale by John Katzenbach (jeanned)
    The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Creative spins on the genre of detective fiction with intricate webs of corrupt people and organizations with obscure motivations

English (95)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
Great read, with language that went spinning through my head for days. Jonathan Lethem has a gift for patterning and phrase. I found some parts of the plot less than convincing, but I was happy to be along for the ride. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Loved it. The voice is unique, funny and tragic, and now I'm hoping the author's other books are as enjoyable. ( )
  Phil-James | Oct 1, 2021 |
Noir with a twist. The book worked for me until it didn't. After awhile the tic-ing and the Tourette's interfered with my ability to maintain interest in the story. ( )
  tangledthread | Aug 27, 2021 |
An enjoyable take on the hardboiled mystery - familiar enough to feel cozy, but strange enough to feel new. The Tourette's characterizations triggered some of my own tics while reading. ( )
  poirotketchup | Mar 18, 2021 |
The thing this book does beautifully is to make you feel like you've inhabited a different sort of mind. It's sort of a detective story, but the real appeal is in how you experience the view from behind the eyes of a narrator whose internal (and external) mono/dialogue is so very different from your own. It's lyrical and lovely and playful and sometimes a little heartbreaking. Lethem here takes a familiar genre -- the detective story -- and enlivens it by tweaking the style and replacing (self-consciously) the verbal tics of that genre with the verbal tics of the unusual narrator. I enjoyed this one a lot. It's the third Lethem book I've read, and I figure he's three for three so far. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Jonathan Lethemprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buscemi, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cantor, GeoffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, Amy C.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulligan, BrianDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Father
Context is everything. Dress me up and see. I'm a carnival barker, an auctioneer, a downtown performance artist, a speaker in tongues, a senator drunk on fillbuster. I've got Tourette's. My mouth won't quit, though mostly I whisper or subvocalize like I'm reading aloud, my Adam's apple bobbing, jaw muscle beating like a miniature heart under my cheek, the noise suppressed, the words escaping silently, mere ghosts of themselves, husks empty of breath and tone.
Ik ben een schreeuwende carnavalsvierder, een veilingmeester, een straatartiest, een mystiek brabbelaar, een senator die brooddronken is van zijn eigen lange redevoeringen.

Motherless Brooklyn is a Jonathan Lethem novel published in 1999. It is a detective story set in Brooklyn. Lethem's protagonist has Tourette syndrome, a disorder marked by involuntary tics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,683,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible