Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A Memoir (2006)

by Daniel Tammet

One of the world's fifty living autistic savants is the first and only to tell his compelling and inspiring life story---and explain how his incredible mind works.

English (87)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (96)
Decent read (well, I listened). It was a lot like "talking" to someone with the condition and was great to have a first person perspective on synesthesia (not sure I spelled that right). Worth the listen. ( )
  kwagnerroberts | Jun 24, 2024 |
I found this to be an interesting look inside the mind of an extraordinary person. ( )
  SteveCarl | Jun 24, 2024 |
Stopped reading because I had to return it to the library.

That said, it was boring and I'm unlikely to check it out again. ( )
  hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
All the math references made my eyes glaze, but for the most part, this was a quick, interesting read. Don't let the math keep you away from this book. I just skipped over those parts and I don't feel like it took anything away from the book. I think they needed to be included because it helped the author explain to us what he sees and feels, but it was too much for me. Over all, it's a well-written book and worth the time. ( )
  amandabeaty | Jan 4, 2024 |
This was a really good book. Daniel Tammet described his experiences matter-of-factly and clearly, and it was a joy to watch him grow into himself and turn what society thought of as a limitation into an asset. Tammet sees numbers as a landscape of shapes and colours, making it easier for him to calculate large sums, and some of the shapes are reproduced in the book. (I did raise an eyebrow at the cover of my edition, which shows a cloud of blue numbers—I can understand from a graphic design standpoint why that choice was made, but it’s not accurate to Tammet’s experience because he sees each number as a different colour and size.) I really liked too that Tammet included interesting facts about the places he visited and the languages he learned. I’m looking forward to reading another of his books, Every Word is a Bird We Teach to Sing. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 26, 2022 |

Tammet, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, for helping me become the person I am today and to Neil, for always being there for me.
I was born on January 31, 1979 - a Wednesday.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,469,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible