Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A… (2006)

by Daniel Tammet

An autistic savant with genius-level mathematical talents describes how he was shunned by his classmates in spite of his super-human capacity for math and language and offers insight into how he experiences the world.

English (81)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (89)
This book is the autobiography of Daniel Temmet, who sees numbers unlike most people and can learn languages faster than almost anyone. And he's a nice guy. I enjoyed reading about him.

The memoir also provides great insight into someone who functions high on the autism spectrum. It's hard to explain how someone who can do so much also can't 9 to 5 it because of other things.

The book ends a little bit after the release of Brain Man, which features Daniel and scientists who believe and don't believe how he does what he does. I found a copy on YouTube and found it a great balance to the book. I recommend both. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Daniel describes his thinking of numbers in terms of colors and shapes along with his ability to memorize so many details including many languages. I liked reading how a person with symptoms such as autism might think and feel as well as the methods he used to cope with situations. Not being comfortable at expressing and showing emotions helped give incite into how hard it is for a person with this disability to function in school and later society when around people. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Daniel is a very high-functioning autistic person with savant syndrome- he has an extraordinary ability to recall and compute large numbers- due in large part to his unique way of visualizing them as distinct shapes and colors. He has synesthesia with both numbers and words. And he suffered from epilepsy as a child. This memoir describes how he grew up, isolated in many ways yet enjoying his own sensations and obsessions (especially collecting things) and only when he was older having a desire to interact with peers learning to navigate social interactions and tasks like shopping or finding his way on bus routes. He describes difficulties in school, living in a large family (nine siblings!) and how he calms himself in stressful situations. How he volunteered to work overseas teaching English as a second language, how his aptitude for learning languages works, how he once memorized and recited 22,000 digits of the number pi to break a world record! (It took five hours to make the recitation). And finally, how he discovered that he's gay, fell in love, and moved in with his partner, living independently and successfully started a business creating a website to help people learn foreign languages. It's astounding. Most of all to me, the very different way in which he visualizes and understands the world. Last year I watched a documentary made about him and I was just blown away. Even the mental games he tells of playing as a child, with numbers, I can't really comprehend. Although the writing style is a bit dry, he recalls incidents with a lot of detail- even from a young age. Some of them sad, to see how peers at first shunned him, and teachers misunderstood. His story of overcoming challenges living with autism and finding his way in the world, to living independently with someone he loves and even finding religion, is very inspiring.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Jul 12, 2020 |
Daniel is autistic and has Savant Syndrome, he sees numbers as shapes, colours and textures. He has amazing mathematical skills and can learn to speak a new language fluently in a short time, yet he struggles to live independently. Find out more about Daniel in this engaging autobiography.
  ThePinesLibrary | May 26, 2020 |
Alternately fascinating, touching, and remarkable story of a man with epilepsy, Asperger syndrome, and synethesia. There were times when tales of the minutia of his childhood existence dragged, but overall, it's a compelling read. ( )
  revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |

Tammet, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, for helping me become the person I am today and to Neil, for always being there for me.
I was born on January 31, 1979 - a Wednesday.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,236,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible