Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Savvy by Ingrid Law

Savvy (2008)

by Ingrid Law

Series: Beaumont Family (1)

2,4431903,833 (4.05)64
    Holes by Louis Sachar (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd (foggidawn)
    Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With homespun storytelling and fascinating companions in tow, two distinctive Southern girls are on involving missions: Moses LoBeau to find her real mother and solve a murder (Lucky), Mibs Beaumont to control her magical talent and save her injured father.… (more)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar tone and lyrical storytelling style.
    Keeper by Kathi Appelt (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Very similar writing styles and narrators.
    Jolted: Newton Starker's Rules for Survival by Arthur Slade (kaledrina)

English (190)  Dutch (1)  All languages (191)
Could not finish this book. The narrator's tone of voice was too folksy for a kid to have, and the plot was uninteresting to me.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Mibs is ready to celebrate her 13th birthday when her father is in a serious car accident, which puts him in the hospital in a coma. As her mother and oldest brother travel the ninety miles to the hospital, Mibs must suffer through a horrible party put on by the self-righteous preacher's wife and attended by kids who think she and her family are a bunch of weirdos. See, something happens to the Beaumont children when they hit 13: their savvy comes into its own and they find out what sort of special and particular-to-each-person powers they inherit. As Mibs struggles to define her new powers, she, her two other brothers, and the two preacher's children (one of whom has a crush on Mibs) stow away on a bible seller's bus to try to get to the hospital and end up on a wild adventure of their own.
A neat story. The characters are great and the ending is a nice little twist. ( )
  electrascaife | Jul 21, 2018 |
I read this awhile back but I remember being so delighted with it. I absolutely love the literary style and plan to re-read the book in the future. It's truly such a great book for any elementary school student or anyone else who should choose to read it! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Perhaps I am getting older, but this book did not appeal to me. The trope (child’s journey to save a sick parent) is a bit overdone. But I was prepared to overlook that (as any trope can work if handled well) particularly given the idea of the Savvy. The Savvy part of the story was the only good part of the story. Seeing Mibs struggle to accept hers, to “scumble” her Savvy, and to come to terms with the things in life that we can’t change. But the idea of the bus trip boring, the plot is drawn out, and the adults are feel like caricatures of real people and lack the depth of real people.

Sadly, this is the first Newbery that I didn’t enjoy. Not that I think it’s bad or immoral, just not a good. However, I can see why people would enjoy it and I would not dissuade anyone from reading it. ( )
  empress8411 | Mar 25, 2018 |
interesting story about a family with powers that are discovered at the age of 13. after their father is a horrific car accident, mibs thinks her savvy can save him. stowing away on the pink bible salesman's bus, mibs and her companions take on adventures, challenges and excitement as they try and reach her father. ( )
  aarchamb | Mar 22, 2018 |

Ingrid Lawprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blau, LilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hannah with love as you blow dripping candles.
When my brother Fish turned thirteen, we moved to the deepest part of inland because of the hurricane and, of course, the fact that he'd caused it.

(from the inside jacket flap) Mibs Beaumont is about to become a teenager. As if that prospect weren't scary enough, thirteen is when a Beaumont's savvy strikes -- and with one brother who causes hurricanes and another who creates electricity, it promises to be outrageous ... and positively thrilling. But Just before her big day, Poppa is in a terrible accident. Suddenly, Mibs's dreams of X-ray vision disappear like a flash of her brother's lightning: All she wants now is a savvy that will save Poppa. In fact, Mibs is so sure she'll get that powerful savvy that she sneaks a ride to the hospital on a rickety bus, with her siblings and the preacher's kids in tow. But when the bus starts heading in the wrong direction only one thing is certain: After this extraordinary adventure, not a soul on board will ever be the same.

Recounts the adventures of Mibs Beaumont, whose thirteenth birthday has revealed her "savvy"--a magical power unique to each member of her family--just as her father is injured in a terrible accident.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible