Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes (1998)

by Louis Sachar

Series: Holes (1)

17,943864146 (4.07)1 / 337
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (849)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (863)
Childhood reread ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
This book has always been one of my favorites growing up. I believe that this book is great in many ways and others should read it because you will for sure like it just as I did. This book is about a camp full of children digging holes for a mean old women to find treasure and when they do the lady can't keep it because it has one of the small boys name meaning it belongs to him. It is something great you should read in your spare time and if I enjoyed it anyone else can as well. ( )
  Josie_1640 | May 3, 2019 |
I love this movie and when reading the book I fell in love with it too. This book can be used for a multiple of different lessons. Its a great book to expose your students to foreshadowing and interlocking stories with in one big story. This book uses easy vocabulary for students to follow. You can have students predict the relationship between character and what could happen next after every couple chapters.
  aseebo2 | Apr 8, 2019 |
I really liked this chapter book and I didn’t realize how close to the book the movie was. The meaning of this was that friendship can help you through anything. One thing I liked about this book was the plot. My favorite part was that you could see the friendship build between Stanley and Hero. Specifically, when Stanley was helping Hero learn how to read. The other thing I liked about this book was that it would sometimes go back in time to when Kissing Kate Barlow was alive and talk about her life. Specifically, when they talk about Kate and Sam’s relationship, I thought it was really cute. ( )
  sarahturpin | Apr 3, 2019 |
This book is a great book to use in your classroom as a shared reading for third and fourth grade. The complicated timelines can be hard to follow, but it is a great learning opportunity on how to interweave timelines. Having a chart paper at the front to keep track of main events of the three timelines is a great way to keep track and help the students understand what is happening. Another thing would be to teach character traits with this book. Keep track of the characters and the defining characteristics to help keep the characters straight and understand their motivations in the book. ( )
  aegebr1 | Apr 1, 2019 |
To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible