The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

The Great Divorce

by C. S. Lewis

English (91)  German (1)  All languages (92)
5 = Life Changing
4 = Among Best in Genre; Enlightening
3 = Enjoyable; Informative
2 = Missable
1 = Avoid ( )
  xKEEFx | Jul 13, 2019 |
It could be subtitled "How to live on Earth as it is in Heaven" ( )
  jefware | Dec 20, 2018 |
A very convicting novel. I just got around to reading it, even though my senior bible teacher recommended it to us months ago (shame on me!).
This short novel should be read alongside Dante's Inferno as *the* book on hell. Lewis recognized the truth that we all overlook: "good" people go to hell. Hell might be full of murderers and thieves, but it is a place mostly populated by "normal guys", just like us. One thing that really struck me was the philosopher who had overlooked Christ in his intellectual pursuits. He spent so much time working to prove that God existed that he missed seeking God for Himself. Another was the mother who had poured her life into her son, and made him the center of her world instead of Christ.
Shit like that just messes with me. We spent a good amount of time in senior bible talking about Christ's critique of the church and religious people. I'm from the South, and a community were everyone is Christian, so it really struck a cord with me to realize that religious people need Christ even more than your stereotypical sinner. Wow.
I'm sorry for how awkward this review is! I wish I knew what to say and how to say it :/ ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Very well written, of course. It's C.S. Lewis.

I greatly admire Lewis' non-fiction writings, but not his fiction. Fantasy just isn't for me. I enjoyed old school fantasy when I was a young teen - Ray Bradbury - but bring out a couple of angels, ghosts, unicorns, or the talisman or oracle of the great Derp and my eyes glaze over. It all simply seems the same to me.

I know this work has great lessons to teach, but I quit 70 percent through. Too many other books I will find genuinely interesting on my ereader, or waiting for me at the library.

Not to knock it, though. If you're into fantasy, you're likely to love this. ( )
  TheMagnificentKevin | Oct 12, 2018 |
This book is part of my C.S. Lewis collection. I went through a huge phase where I was just obsessed with anything and everything by him. While I don't agree with all of his theology, I do love his writing style and the things he has to say about faith. He was a good one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
"No, there is no escape. There is no heaven with a little of hell in it--no plan to retain this or that of the devil in our hearts or our pockets. Out Satan must go, every hair and feather."--George MacDonald
Barbara Wall: Best and most long-suffering of scribes
I seemed to be standing in a busy queue by the side of a long, mean street.
When the sun rises here and the twilight turns to blackness down there, the Blessed will say, "We have never lived anywhere except in Heaven," and the Lost, "We were always in Hell."
And both will speak truly.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652950, Paperback)

The Great Divorce is C.S. Lewis's Divine Comedy: the narrator bears strong resemblance to Lewis (by way of Dante); his Virgil is the fantasy writer George MacDonald; and upon boarding a bus in a nondescript neighborhood, the narrator is taken to Heaven and Hell. The book's primary message is presented with almost oblique tidiness--"There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'" However, the narrator's descriptions of sin and temptation will hit quite close to home for many readers. Lewis has a genius for describing the intricacies of vanity and self-deception, and this book is tremendously persistent in forcing its reader to consider the ultimate consequences of everyday pettiness. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

A symbolic fantasy which finds a busload of condemned ghosts faced with the choice of giving up their cherished sins to enter the gates of Paradise.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,376,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible