The Great Divorce

by C. S. Lewis

A symbolic fantasy which finds a busload of condemned ghosts faced with the choice of giving up their cherished sins to enter the gates of Paradise.

I missed SO much the first time I read this. Oh, how rich and wonderful this small book is. And Lewis's stunning reworking of Psalm 91 brought me to tears. So beautiful. ( )
  liannecollins | Jun 10, 2022 |
Very thought provoking. Makes one well aware of the danger of the sin of pride. Pride is what got Lucifer kicked out of heaven, and pride us what will keep us out. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
This is a fantasy/allegory about a group of people in hell riding a bus to visit heaven. They get to see what heaven is like, and people from heaven try to persuade them to stay. But most of them don't appreciate heaven at all and choose to go back on the bus. That's because in order to appreciate heaven they need to accept some of their core beliefs and values are wrong, and embrace the love and help of God. Most of them are just really into whatever it is they value above all else (freedom in thinking, control over loved ones, self-righteousness, self-pity....etc). They are actually more comfortable with the gloomy place they came from, where they can persist in their own ways, albeit becoming more and more distanced from one's neighbors. I thought the book is very interesting and helps me understand salvation and heaven and hell much better. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
This is one of the best meditations on Heaven and Hell I have ever read. It answers many questions people have and is written in an easy-to-read style that poses no problems. Truly amazing. ( )
  worddragon | Mar 2, 2022 |
This is the story about an afterlife bus ride from hell to heaven that explores Lewis’s concept that “the doors of hell are locked in the inside” which is actually a quote from The Problem of Pain but expanded upon in this book. I found it interesting, but my mom said it was confusing, so idk. It’s a pretty short book so take a chance on it. ( )
  vvbooklady | Jan 1, 2022 |

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rhind-Tutt, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"No, there is no escape. There is no heaven with a little of hell in it--no plan to retain this or that of the devil in our hearts or our pockets. Out Satan must go, every hair and feather."--George MacDonald
Barbara Wall: Best and most long-suffering of scribes
I seemed to be standing in a busy queue by the side of a long, mean street.
When the sun rises here and the twilight turns to blackness down there, the Blessed will say, "We have never lived anywhere except in Heaven," and the Lost, "We were always in Hell."
And both will speak truly.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it.
That is what mortals misunderstand.  They say of some temporal suffering, `No future bliss can make up for it,’ not knowing that Heaven, once attained, will work backwards and turn even that agony into a glory.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,715,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible