HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Abolition of Man (1944)

by C. S. Lewis

5,873601,501 (4.02)1 / 60
 In the classic The Abolition of Man, C.S. Lewis, the most important Christian writer of the 20th century, sets out to persuade his audience of the importance and relevance of universal values such as courage and honor in contemporary society. Both astonishing and prophetic, The Abolition of Man is one of the most debated of Lewis's extraordinary works. National Review chose it as number seven on their "100 Best Nonfiction Books of the Twentieth Century."… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, MarkJG, Lizzy_0T8, JMigotsky, wcoblibrary, Wharton_Library, UCT-Y, JDSpainhour, SethMaples
Legacy LibrariesSylvia Plath, Ayn Rand

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Philosophy and Theory: C S Lewis8 unread / 8zentimental, January 2008

English (57)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (60)
Re-reading this one. ( )
  Duffyevsky | Aug 19, 2022 |
This was even more insightful than when I had read it previously, if that's possible. Particularly impactful in the light of our current age of scientific objectivism, arguing (persuasively) that there is more to life than what we can weigh, measure, and quantify. ( )
  David_Brown | Aug 15, 2022 |
This was an ok read. I kind of understand what Lewis is talking about in general and I think he's very predictive over what is now occuring or has occured with post-modernism thinking. I think the problem is me and other readers who come into the book without knowing background. It makes it a little harder to get through. I definately suggest that you first read some background on this book to get a historical perspective on it. Final Grade - C ( )
  agentx216 | Aug 1, 2022 |
What starts as a critique of an English textbook turns into philosophizing about human values. I didn’t really understand this one. It’s a short book with only 3 chapters. ( )
  vvbooklady | Jan 1, 2022 |
12/10/21
  laplantelibrary | Dec 10, 2021 |
The Master said, He who sets to work on a different strand destroys the whole fabric.

Confucius, Analects II.16
I doubt whether we are sufficiently attentive to the importance of elementary text books.

Ediciones Encuentro

2 editions of this book were published by Ediciones Encuentro.

Editions: 847490255X, 8474908728

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,944,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible