Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter (1977)

by Mario Vargas Llosa

2,197625,007 (3.91)1 / 212
Reality merges with fantasy in this hilarious comic novel about the world of radio soap operas and the pitfalls of forbidden passion by the bestselling author of The Storyteller. Sexy, sophisticated, older Aunt Julia, now divorced, seeks a new mate who can support her in high style. She finds instead her libidinous nephew, and their affair shocks both famiy and community.… (more)

English (47)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (62)
I had a hard time getting into this book, mainly because I was much more interested in the weird soap opera stories interspersed than the tribulations of the main character, a stand in for Vargas Llosa himself. He takes the true-to-life romance between himself and his aunt-by-marriage, and wraps it around the story of an obsessive radio soap opera writer, and both the writer and the progressively more confusing soap opera stories are the heart of this novel about storytelling. Ultimately, however, I enjoyed it. ( )
  ffortsa | Nov 11, 2019 |
As a struggling writer, eighteen year old Marito (Mario) makes ends meet by writing news stories for a local Peruvian radio station while in law school. He welcomes two new distractions into his life and uses them to spice up his storytelling: his beautiful aunt (by marriage only), Julia, and the brilliant but crazy radio scriptwriter, Pedro Comancho. Thirteen years his senior, Aunt Julia begins a clandestine romance with Mario and at the same time Comancho takes Marito under his wing as his ever-growing confused confidant.
It is the differing point of view narratives that keep the story interesting as the reader bounces between the first person account of Marito and Comancho’s soap opera dramas told in the third person.

As an aside, when Aunt Julia says she’s old enough to be Marito’s mother I just had to do the math. Julia is only thirteen or fourteen years older than Mario. Yes, fourteen year olds have babies. It is possible, but it made me shudder all the same. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jul 25, 2019 |
In this comic novel, Mario, an 18 year-old law student & radio news-editor, falls for his divorced, 32 year-old Aunt Julia. The story of their affair is interwoven with episodes from a series of radio soap-operas written by Mario's friend, Pedro Comacho. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |
Extraordinary. Hilarious. An amazing insight to the writer's beginning and life in Miraflores of that era. I'll look forward to rereading it again. ( )
  ProfH | Jul 10, 2017 |
Based on the other reviews, I can see I'm in the minority here. This book was ok...mildly entertaining, but it didn't really work for me.

This is the story of 18-year-old Mario who falls in love with his much older Aunt (by marriage) Julia and their trials and tribulations as they struggle to keep their relationship secret from the family; and to get married even though Mario is underage and would require parental consent. Funny at times, but the characters were not well developed and the situations were largely unbelievable.

It is also the story of the scriptwriter, Pedro, who writes brilliant, highly popular radio soap operas. Pedro slowly loses his grip on reality, mixing up his characters and confusing the events in his stories. These stories are somewhat interesting, but have nothing to do with Mario and Julia's story.

So, a few chuckles but not really my cup of tea. ( )
  LynnB | May 30, 2017 |

Mario Vargas Llosaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lane, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lane, Helen R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nordenhök, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torres, Romero deCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yulzari, EmiliyaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Новикова, Л.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Julia Urquidi Illanes, to whom this novel and I owe so much
In those long-ago days, I was very young and lived with my grandparents in a villa with white walls in Calle Ocharán, in Miraflores.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible