Breakfast of Champions (1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.
    The World According to Garp by John Irving (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (readandride)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (sombrio)
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (sturlington)
    Mist by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Books in which the author appears as himself and interacts with the characters while manipulating their fates.
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller (ateolf)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)

English (139)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (142)
(...)

I think the book was difficult to write because Slaughterhouse-Five was so good, and Vonnegut knew it would be hard to top. Despite the long gestation period, he wasn’t happy with the result and “gave it a C grade on a report card of his published work.” The critics were critical of it too, yet it remains one of his best known works – maybe in the wake of SH5‘s success?

Every artist has to deal with repetition, and Vonnegut tried to tackle it in this book by trying out two new things, but it are not much more than formal attempts, hardly changing the tone and the voice of his writing. The result is that Breakfast of Champions never rises above being generic Vonnegut. A quick dissection if you click the link:

Full review on Weighing A Pig Doesn't Fatten It ( )
  bormgans | Sep 9, 2021 |
I wanted to like this but I hated it. ( )
  crimsonraider | Apr 1, 2021 |
This book is a crazy, seeming to head in all different directions. It covers a lot of social issues and much is about free will. It kind of makes fun of everything and is pretty 'out there' a lot. The way it is highlights how ridiculous things are in real life. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
A terrific read. A witty satire on the world, America, and its contents. He managed to break the fourth wall in a novel without being a know-it-all and annoying guy. I always try to slow down every time I read Vonnegut because I don't want his book to end. Let me put it into his style: a book is made of dead trees that are processed on a machine. This book is dead trees with clever words written on it. ( )
  bellacrl | Jan 19, 2021 |
This was what happens when Vonnegut writes a "normal" novel with no real underlying message, I guess. It had the same kind of criticism of reality common in his other books, but the things we was criticizing weren't worthy of his attention. The John Malkovich narration in the audiobook was excellent, however. Somewhat entertaining (I listened during a transcontinental flight and didn't feel bad when I nodded off a few times), but there are many better choices from Vonnegut or others. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Malkovich, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zanon, CássiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,325,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible