Breakfast of Champions (1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.
    The World According to Garp by John Irving (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (readandride)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (sombrio)
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (sturlington)
    Mist by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Books in which the author appears as himself and interacts with the characters while manipulating their fates.
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller (ateolf)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)

English (138)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (141)
I wanted to like this but I hated it. ( )
  crimsonraider | Apr 1, 2021 |
This book is a crazy, seeming to head in all different directions. It covers a lot of social issues and much is about free will. It kind of makes fun of everything and is pretty 'out there' a lot. The way it is highlights how ridiculous things are in real life. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
A terrific read. A witty satire on the world, America, and its contents. He managed to break the fourth wall in a novel without being a know-it-all and annoying guy. I always try to slow down every time I read Vonnegut because I don't want his book to end. Let me put it into his style: a book is made of dead trees that are processed on a machine. This book is dead trees with clever words written on it. ( )
  bellacrl | Jan 19, 2021 |
This was what happens when Vonnegut writes a "normal" novel with no real underlying message, I guess. It had the same kind of criticism of reality common in his other books, but the things we was criticizing weren't worthy of his attention. The John Malkovich narration in the audiobook was excellent, however. Somewhat entertaining (I listened during a transcontinental flight and didn't feel bad when I nodded off a few times), but there are many better choices from Vonnegut or others. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
Definitely not Vonnegut at his finest. It is frequently funny and profound, but the humor feels more juvenile than in most of Vonnegut's novels. I also found that the book lacked any sort of larger unifying theme that might have tied it all together. It's definitely worth reading, it's just not anything close to his best work. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Malkovich, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zanon, CássiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,853,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible