The World According to Garp (1978)

by John Irving

This is the life and times of T. S. Garp, the bastard son of Jenny Fields, a feminist leader ahead of her time. This is the life and death of a famous mother and her almost-famous son; theirs is a world of sexual extremes, even of sexual assassinations. It is a novel rich with lunacy and sorrow, yet the dark, violent events of the story do not undermine a comedy both ribald and robust. In more than thirty languages, in more than forty countries-with more than ten million copies in print-this novel provides almost cheerful, even hilarious evidence of its famous last line: "In the world according to Garp, we are all terminal cases."… (more)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (dele2451)
    dele2451: Garp and Owen would make a great literary double feature. I wish I didn't have to wait so many years between reading both of these wonderful books.
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (alzo)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (sipthereader)
    Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (Rynooo)

English (163)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (181)
I got bored with this book about two thirds of the way. I think it could have been considerably shorter. ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
One of my new faves. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
"Death, it seems," Garp wrote, "does not like to wait until we are prepared for it. Death is indulgent and enjoys, when it can, a flair for the dramatic." ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
The World According to Garp by John Irving (1990)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
I'm not exactly sure what to think of this book. A book about the life of Garp and the people surrounding him. His mother, the members of his own family, but it's also about his experiences, his writing and his ideas. How gets to writing and what happens next and why.

I thought it was okay. A little bloody here and there. Not that I can't stand that, but it stood out in a book like this, more in that sense.
It wasn't until the epilogue of the book that I noticed that fear indeed might indeed be the theme. Of course I had noticed that when reading the book, but to see that confirmed is always nice! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 17, 2021 |
The World According to Garp was more than single, memorable moments. It was unforgettable as a whole for a simple reason - it was epic. It was what a Great American Novel needs to be: all of life between covers.

These things oughtn't to be funny. Still, the way that Mr. Irving writes about them, they are. They way he filters them through his hero's unique imagination, we not only laugh at the world according to Garp, but we also accept it and love it.

Irving, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abel, JürgenÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Colin and Brendan
Garp's mother, Jenny Fields, was arrested in Boston in 1942 for wounding a man in a movie theater.
people who have problems do not, as a rule, think their problems are "funny."
I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave--and nothing but laughter to console them with.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,947,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible