Johnny Got His Gun (1939)

by Dalton Trumbo

After a shell leaves his body mangled on the final day of World War I, young Joe Bonham lies trapped in a hospital bed. He is a fully conscious quadruple amputee who cannot speak, hear or see. He is left to wander within his own mind and goes between his harsh reality and memories of a happier life long gone. Delve into the mind of a man lost somewhere on the edges of sanity and insanity, life and death.… (more)

English (54)  Swedish (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
I read this book in HS, as many did. Hard to read, but not because it lacks punctuation. I still remember the horror of being introduced to "locked in" syndrome via Dalton Trumbo. His ingenious ability to crystallize the obscenity of war, circa the medical and sociological parameters of WWI, will stay with me forever. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
One of the most effective anti-war books, even as a work of fiction.
  abstroyer | Sep 13, 2020 |
This book is spectacular. Not once did I pick up the book and put it down without crying in between. This should be required reading for anyone considering joining the military: if it doesn't happen to you, you might make it happen for someone else. War is unimaginable hell. ( )
  magonistarevolt | May 7, 2020 |
The movie based on this book came to selected theaters for a limited run in Manhattan when the war in Vietnam was raging like the California wildfires. The year was maybe 1969. My draft classification was 1A at the time. They were giving out free copies of the book which I read in one sitting when I left the theater. It tells a gut wrenching story. These guys who ended up fighting in World war one , a lt of them probably ended up like this unfortunate fellow. But war is a never ending tragedy which just repeats itself time and time again. Very sad story. ( )
  NAgis | May 6, 2020 |
I read this way back in my pre-book blogging days. My son was asking me about it because of the Metallica song based on it, "One." Terrific book. I'm hoping he reads it. ( )
  TheTrueBookAddict | Mar 22, 2020 |
"There can be no question of the effectiveness of this book." "Mr. Trumbo sets this story down almost without pause or punctuation and without a fury amounting eloquence."
added by jimcripps | editNew York Times

Belongs to Publisher Series

He wished the phone would stop ringing.
This is a novel, not the film based thereon, nor the screenplay for the film.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,777,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible