Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

Johnny Got His Gun (1939)

by Dalton Trumbo

After a shell leaves his body mangled on the final day of World War I, young Joe Bonham lies trapped in a hospital bed. He is a fully conscious quadruple amputee who cannot speak, hear or see. He is left to wander within his own mind and goes between his harsh reality and memories of a happier life long gone. Delve into the mind of a man lost somewhere on the edges of sanity and insanity, life and death.… (more)
Recently added byPonyinc., Fardo, RasputinSane, private library, CompassSchool, steinbecj4, HeatherBates

English (47)  Swedish (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
I'm torn with this book, I enjoyed it very much, it made me feel so bad, not the kind that makes you cry but the kind that you feel in your body, that makes you feel sick, and that's not small praise for a book, at the same time the ending was too preachy, I do not believe the logic of the preaching was very sound neither, of course we all have our opinions but I believe the author's view was getting across nicely and there was no need for that much rhetoric.

I'm giving it four stars.

And I hope I won't ever hear of this book again because I seriously want to take the image of Joe out of my mind, gosh, such a cruel destiny, why didn't they just let him die? How can you be so heartless of not letting the man at least go out to the yard? The ending fucked me up, such hopelessness, after all that time, and no way out of that torture, I'm gonna stop because really I don't want to think about it anymore.

(Still enjoyed the book, though it makes me want to vomit) ( )
  Rose999 | Jun 28, 2019 |
Of course the chance of that happening is one in a million, but even so, this situation is enough to catch the inhumane concept of war. That guy is not even dead! And Trumbo shouldn't have been surprised (he probably wasn't, contrary to what he said), that the anti-war movement wanted it to be its figurehead. The style is gripping; I use the arm amputation passage regularly as an example of stream of consciousness - technique for my students, but the whole thing is impressive in its biased view on war - the only way to look at it, from a personal point of view - not just Johnny's.
  Kindlegohome | Mar 5, 2018 |
This book started me on my path to reading and writing, inspiring me that books can have important messages. It told the ugly truth about war. It didn't hide. And I appreciate that. Horrific and engaging. One of my all time favorite reads. ( )
1 vote CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I agree with Lisa B. I read this book 31 yrs ago and it still haunts me.This book makes you think and re-evaluate your own thoughts and opinions. You may or may not change those opinions but this book will touch you.I do feel this is a must read for all teens. ( )
1 vote LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
A sad, poignant anti-war novel like no other, it is also one of the most powerful. The movie is pretty good too. Responsible for getting Dalton Trumbo put on the black list during the McCarthy era. This is a book to end all books about the horror of war. Read it at your peril - it might just make you into a pacifist. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
"There can be no question of the effectiveness of this book." "Mr. Trumbo sets this story down almost without pause or punctuation and without a fury amounting eloquence."
added by jimcripps | editNew York Times

He wished the phone would stop ringing.
This is a novel, not the film based thereon, nor the screenplay for the film.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible