Candide (1759)

by Voltaire

In this witty political satire, a gentleman plagued by misfortune clings to the belief that all is for the best. Voltaire mocks the eternal optimist philosophy of his day that proclaimed human and natural disasters part of a larger cosmic plan.
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Weasel524)
    Weasel524: What separates the two: Travels is a satirical indictment of the society Swift saw around him, whereas Candide is a satirical indictment of popular philosophical theories of the time. Not a huge difference, but surely large enough for some. Candide also happens to be shorter and funnier, with Travels being more explorative… (more)
    Persian Letters by Montesquieu (joririchardson)
    A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy by Laurence Sterne (AaronPt)
    Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago (Mouseear)
    The Satyricon by Petronius Arbiter (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Hapless protagonists tossed by fate from one misadventure to another
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (owen1218)
    Rasselas by Samuel Johnson (KayCliff)
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They have the same kind of wide-eyed satirical quality.
    The Adventures of Mr. Nicholas Wisdom by Ignacy Krasicki (DieFledermaus)
    Jurgen: A Comedy of Justice by James Branch Cabell (Crypto-Willobie)
    Island by Aldous Huxley (kxlly)
    Utopia by Thomas More (kxlly)
1750s (1)
Europe (208)

English (242)  French (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Hebrew (1)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (1)  Arabic (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Icelandic (1)  All languages (268)
This was a super quick read and it was super intriguing! ( )
  Akacya | Feb 28, 2021 |
I had read this in high school and forgotten everything about it. I didn't love it this time around. There are funny moments, but on the whole it was pretty unsatisfying to me. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
This is a really interesting book (and a classic of European literature) -- simultaneously an "adventure" novel, entertaining on that level (probably better in French, but the translation and audiobook I read was very good), and a satire of philosophers and others -- in particular, the extremes of optimism ("Panglossianism"), and pessimism. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
It's always a special treat when seemingly-imposing classics turn out to be tremendously (and intentionally) farcical. Like a super-condensed Don Quixote, Candide had me exclaiming and snorting out loud frequently with its deliberate ridiculousness. Even old-timey authors liked to have a laugh sometimes! ( )
  kitzyl | Dec 31, 2020 |
I've been making occasional jokes based on a cursory understanding of "All is for the best, in the best of all possible worlds" for a few years now, and finally figured I should get around to actually reading this. I wasn't disappointed! I laughed out loud three pages in and enjoyed it throughout. A breezy read written with sparkling wit — albeit super rapey. My edition also came with a helpful introduction that provided a lot more context, though I'd have appreciated an annotated edition or afterword to explain more of the 18th Century references. ( )
  dhmontgomery | Dec 13, 2020 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is a reply to

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Voltaire was the wittiest writeer in an age of great wits, and "Candide" is his wittiest novel. The subject he chose to exercise his wit upon in this novel is one which conceerns all of us; surprisingly enough, that subject is the problem of suffering. However much we may try to avoid the problem, we are all confronted at some time with this difficulty, that the Creator has made a universe where suffering abounds. If the Creator is good and all-powerful, as we are told he is, could he not have made a better world? If he could, what prevented him? If he could not, can we still believe that he is good and all-powerful? Can we indeed believe in him at all? Or if we do, can we believe that he is at all concerned with men and their sufferings? In times of widespread disasters such questioning becomes more general and more urgent. We are living in such times; and so was Voltaire. [Butt's introduction]
There lived in Westphalia, at the country seat of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, a young lad blessed by Nature with the most agreeable manners. You could read his character in his face. He combined sound judgment with unaffected simplicity; and that, I suppose, was why he was called Candide. The old family servants suspected that he was the son of the Baron's sisteer by a worthy gentleman of that neighbourhood, whom the young lady would never agree to marry because he could only claim seventy-one quarterings, the rest of his family tree having suffered from the ravages of time. [Butt's translation]
In the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh in Westphalia there lived a youth, endowed by Nature with the most gentle character.
"Fools admire everything in a celebrated author. I only read to please myself, and I only like what suits me."
"'Tis well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our gardens."
“Why should you think it so strange that in some countries there are monkeys which insinuate themselves into the good graces of the ladies; they are a fourth part human, as I am a fourth part Spaniard.”
Please don't combine editions which are just Candide eg Penguin Classics with editions which contain Candide with other works by Voltaire, eg Oxford World Classics Candide and other stories.

Attraverso la parabola del povero Candido, un inguaribile ottimista, il narratore continua a "portare uno sguardo rapido su tutti i secoli, tutti i paesi, e di conseguenza, su tutte le sciocchezze di questo piccolo globo". Pubblicato a Ginevra nel 1759, e immediatamente ristampato a Parigi, Londra, Amsterdam e altre città d'Europa, Candido consente a Voltaire di perfezionare il nuovo genere letterario da lui creato, il conte philosophique. Le convulse e mirabolanti disavventure del protagonista offrono all'autore l'opportunità di dimostrare la vanità dell'ottimismo razionalista leibniziano, che vedeva realizzato nell'universo il migliore dei mondi possibili, nonché di sviluppare una straordinaria lezione di sopravvivenza alle catastrofi della natura e della storia.
(piopas)

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039423, 0140455108

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300106556, 0300119879

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100445, 1400111080

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,891,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible