I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

I, Robot (1950)

by Isaac Asimov

11,152196364 (3.97)307

English (178)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (195)
I'd never gotten around to reading this one... I didn't love the narrator though he kind of fit the dated-ness of the stories - each covering a breakthrough in artificial intelligence and the results of its interaction with the laws of robotics. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This is my first taste of Asimov and I wasn't disappointed. Apparently, Asimov was influenced by Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and Agatha Christie. I saw more of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. The short stories are loosely linked; there are recurrent characters, mainly scientists and psychologists; and the premise is progressed in each story. The main points to note:

- You are introduced, and continually reminded of, the Three Laws of Robotics.
- The aforementioned laws and how they affect robot psychology are pivotal.
- Most stories pose a dilemma, usually an unexplained or unwanted phenomenon in robot behaviour.
- Little happens. Plots develop with arguments and discussions between the characters as they seek to better understand robots.

Asimov writes clearly and coherently, which suits the theme perfectly. There is some philosophy and allegory mixed in these stories, which is why I recommend I, Robot even to those, like me, who aren't sci-fi fans. ( )
  jigarpatel | Feb 27, 2019 |
In an alternative/future world, robots become increasingly commonplace but each upgrade introduces new moral quandaries.

Although there is a framing device, this is essentially a collection of loosely connected short stories. That's not a problem per se, although personally I'm not a huge fan of the short story format. Asimov provides a little action, a little characterization, and plenty of food for thought with these stories. However, if you're looking for science fiction that is driven by plot more than thought experiments, this won't be the title for you. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 13, 2019 |
This book was completely different than the movie, but I liked it. It's a few different stories about robots and humans It defiantly gives you something to think about ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
The classic series which introduced the "Three Laws of Robotics" and began Asimov's famous Robots series, which he later merged into his Foundation series. The frame story makes it the life of the robopsychologist Dr. Susan Calvin, though in fact many of the stories feature Gregory Powell and Mike Donovan, who are space-going engineers much more typical of the heroes of sf of the period. The stories run from "Robbie" about a simple robot nursemaid up through Stephen Byerley, almost certainly a robot but also the elected ruler of the world. The most powerful single story is "Liar" in which Susan finds that a mind-reading robot has what no other robot ever had --reason to lie to humans --unfortunately, including lying to her about whether the man she loves also loves her. Her revenge destroys the robot. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 23, 2019 |

Wilson, Daniel H.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John W. Campbell, Jr., who godfathered the robots
Robbie:
"Ninety-eight — ninety-nine — one hundred."
Runaround:
It was one of Gregory Powell's favorite platitudes that nothing was to be gained from excitement, so when Mike Donovan came leaping down the stairs toward him, red hair matted with perspiration, Powell frowned.
Reason:
Half a year later, the boys had changed their minds.
Catch That Rabbit:
The vacation was longer than two weeks.
Liar!
Alfred Lanning lit his cigar carefully, but the tips of his fingers were trembling slightly.
The Three Laws of Robotics
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553294385, Mass Market Paperback)

In this collection, one of the great classics of science fiction, Asimov set out the principles of robot behavior that we know as the Three Laws of Robotics. Here are stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world, all told with Asimov's trademark dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

The three laws of Robotics: 1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm 2) A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. 3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law. With these three, simple directives, Isaac Asimov changed our perception of robots forever when he formulated the laws governing their behavior. In I, Robot, Asimov chronicles the development of the robot through a series of interlinked stories: from its primitive origins in the present to its ultimate perfection in the not-so-distant future--a future in which humanity itself may be rendered obsolete. Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, and robots with a sense of humor. Of robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world--all told with the dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction that has become Asmiov's trademark.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,562,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible