2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Other authors: Stanley Kubrick (Contributor)

Series: The Odyssey Sequence (1)

11,043173428 (4)383
"Allegory about humanity's exploration of the universe, and the universe's reaction to humanity."
    2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke (ksk21, philAbrams)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (riodecelis, artturnerjr)
    Contact by Carl Sagan (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Seminal breakthrough works
    The Cassiopea Affair by Chloe Zerwick (MinaKelly)
    Shield by Poul Anderson (MinaKelly)
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (benmartin79)
    The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley Robinson (Valashain)
    Valashain: Robinson's work shows the same kind of optimism in the future that Clarke seems to have. The style and subject of The Memory of Whiteness reminded me of Clarke most but this goes for other works by Robinson as well.
    Titan by Stephen Baxter (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories have many similarities (mainly a manned expedition to Saturn), though Baxter's story is much darker.
    I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream [short story] by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another 60s SF tale that takes the notion of malevolent AI to nightmarish extremes.
My TBR (17)
1960s (161)

English (163)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Arabic (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (172)
I think that to further understand this book, I need to watch the film. Since the book and the film were created simultaneously, these two go hand in hand. The book was really interesting and considering when it was written, it was fairly modern. ( )
  iKaroliina | Aug 15, 2020 |
A classic ( )
  MatthewFrend | Jun 30, 2020 |
This made so much more sense than the film. Well... mostly ;) I liked the way it was written, but I enjoyed some aspects more than others. The initial section didn't hold my attention as well as other sections, and the ending is about as abstract to read as it is to watch. Definitely much better than your average film novelisation, though. I think it makes a big difference when the author co-wrote the screenplay... and also when the author is Arthur C. Clarke! ( )
1 vote Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This book takes place ( )
  SVault.ELA2 | May 26, 2020 |
the novel, written coinciding the writing of the film of the same name, bears an overall similarity to the film; however, the book differs in the significant moments. the book is most definitely a great science fiction novel, and as a fan of the film, i didn't at all feel like i was treading similar waters. it was refreshing to read a familiar story told from a different perspective. ( )
  lostmonster | May 19, 2020 |

Clarke, Arthur C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubrick, StanleyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eis, EgonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mare, J.B. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moorcock, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsen, A. vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stanley
The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. Here on the Equator, in the continent which would one day be known as Africa, the battle for existence had reached a new climax of ferocity, and the victor was not yet in sight.
Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. (Foreword)
"I'm not going to do that, Dave."
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Now they were lords of the galaxy, and beyond the reach of time. They could rove at will among the stars, and sink like a subtle mist through the very interstices of space. But despite their godlike powers, they had not wholly forgotten their origin, in a worm slime of a vanished sea.
Do not under any circumstances combine the film adaptation (DVDs and other video recordings) with the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Is mankind alone?
A black slab says "No, we're here.
We live near Saturn."
(benscripps)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible