2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Other authors: Stanley Kubrick (Contributor)

Series: The Odyssey Sequence (1)

13,487207454 (4.01)428
It has been forty years since the publication of this classic science fiction novel that changed the way we look at the stars and ourselves. From the savannas of Africa at the dawn of mankind to the rings of Saturn as man adventures to the outer rim of our solar system, 2001: A Space Odyssey is a journey unlike any other. This allegory about humanity's exploration of the universe, and the universe's reaction to humanity, was the basis for director Stanley Kubrick's immortal film, and lives on as a hallmark achievement in storytelling.… (more)
    2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke (ksk21, philAbrams)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (riodecelis, artturnerjr)
    Contact by Carl Sagan (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley Robinson (Valashain)
    Valashain: Robinson's work shows the same kind of optimism in the future that Clarke seems to have. The style and subject of The Memory of Whiteness reminded me of Clarke most but this goes for other works by Robinson as well.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (benmartin79)
    Shield by Poul Anderson (MinaKelly)
    The Cassiopea Affair by Chloe Zerwick (MinaKelly)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Seminal breakthrough works
    Titan by Stephen Baxter (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories have many similarities (mainly a manned expedition to Saturn), though Baxter's story is much darker.
    The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both seek to explain why humans differ so astonishingly from their nearest living relatives.
    I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream [short story] by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another 60s SF tale that takes the notion of malevolent AI to nightmarish extremes.
Ranking (30)
1960s (222)
My TBR (11)

English (189)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Arabic (1)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  German (1)  All languages (206)
Nos primórdios da humanidade, quando a fome e os predadores ameaçavam a raça humana, chega à Terra um objeto inusitado, inacessível à limitada compreensão da mente pré-histórica, mas que influencia os homens a descobrir coisas que permitem a sua própria evolução.
Milhões de anos depois, a descoberta de um monólito soterrado na Lua deixa os cientistas perplexos. Para investigar esse mistério, a Terra envia ao espaço uma equipe altamente treinada e HAL 9000, uma inteligência artificial responsável pelo funcionamento da nave e pela segurança dos tripulantes. Porém, o surgimento de pequenas falhas levanta a suspeita de que há algo errado com a missão.
Escrito por Arthur C. Clarke com o intuito de expandir a história criada com Stanley Kubrick para o cinema, 2001: uma odisseia no espaço desconcerta o leitor e o conduz a um futuro alternativo da história humana.
  saladeleituraberna_ | Jul 2, 2024 |
Whatever you might think of the movie, and I didn't like it, this is a great book. It's a weird history, the book developing as the movie was being written and filmed, but it makes clear that Kubrick, again, didn't share Clarke's vision, or couldn't bring it to the screen anyway. The book takes way more time with man in its infancy, where this part of the film just doesn't make sense without the book's narrative. It makes so much more sense. And Hal, while voiced wonderfully in the movie, is way creepier, and a good deal more complicated in the book. Finally, Dave's journey into the portal makes sense here in the book, while Kubrick just substitutes some psychedelic colors and music. Is it clear I don't like Kubrick - will never forgive him for missing the point in [The Shining], like he misses the point here.

Read the book.

4 bones!!!!
Recommended ( )
  blackdogbooks | Jun 26, 2024 |
Gripping, even though not that much happens for a lot of it! ( )
  AerialObrien | Feb 28, 2024 |
Great book.

This is a good read. Space exploration, artificial intelligence, and so much more. Can't believe I waited so long to read this. ( )
  dendorf | Sep 30, 2023 |
Dated, in more than a few ways (hey, it was written in the mid 1960's, so going on 55-ish years old) but still interesting, still moves a long, still a good read. I just about gave this three stars, but I'm going to give it the extra 1 just because it has held up as well as it has, even if imperfectly. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Aug 12, 2023 |

Clarke, Arthur C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubrick, StanleyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eis, EgonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mare, J.B. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moorcock, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribera Jordá, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsen, A. vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zebrowski, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stanley
The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. Here on the Equator, in the continent which would one day be known as Africa, the battle for existence had reached a new climax of ferocity, and the victor was not yet in sight.
Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. (Foreword)
I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Now they were lords of the galaxy, and beyond the reach of time. They could rove at will among the stars, and sink like a subtle mist through the very interstices of space. But despite their godlike powers, they had not wholly forgotten their origin, in a worm slime of a vanished sea.
Do not under any circumstances combine the film adaptation (DVDs and other video recordings) with the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing. The film is not an adaptation of the novel. They were worked on at the same time and the film was released first.

Три мільйони років тому людство, яке ще й не було людством, стало об’єктом експериментів невідомої могутньої цивілізації. Австралопітека на ім’я Задивлений на Місяць обрав загадковий прибулець – прозора прямокутна плита, що спалахнула вночі яскравими символами і навчила майбутніх людей першим думкам… 2001 року на Місяці земляни відкопали з глибини чорну брилу, моноліт неймовірних розмірів та ідеальної форми. Під променями Сонця він ожив уперше за мільйони років – спрацювала сигналізація, яка повідомила невідомим володарям Галактики: люди зробили перший крок. Та куди він приведе, нікому не відомо…
Is mankind alone?
A black slab says "No, we're here.
We live near Saturn."
(benscripps)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,403,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible