Bridge to Terabithia

by Katherine Paterson

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

This is book is one that I enjoyed reading due to it being highly relatable for not only students but teachers as well. Jesse struggles with his home life and at school until he meets his new neighbor, Leslie. She is fun, outgoing and adventurous which is exactly what Jesse needed. They created a whole different world with their imagination across a rive by the house. This book takes a turn that is unexpected and will have students on the edge of their seat. I would love to have this book in my classroom for students to read and connect with. ( )
  Brooke115 | Apr 30, 2021 |
Jesse is hoping to be the fastest runner in the 5th grade this year. So he's out practicing every morning when little sister May Belle comes telling him of a new family moving in. She hopes there is a little girl to play with. When Jesse meets the girl that moves in, she's in his grade so no playmate for May Belle. Leslie, the new girl, is different from the rest of the students. Her family wants to simply their lives. Jesse decides to include her in the races and she changes everything for him.

I enjoyed this story. I saw the movie first and remembered the ending somewhat but not the details. I did not remember I would need practically a box of tissues for the ending. I loved Jesse. His was not an easy life. Leslie, his neighbor, brightened his world as they went off to Terabithia and created their own world. Jesse also sees his father in a different light because of Leslie.

What a wonderful book! Full of imagination but bound in reality. I'm glad I read it even if I am an adult. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 29, 2021 |
This story is a journey about two friends, Leslie and Jess, adventuring to a fantasy world across the creek. The world is full of imagination coming alive where they can experience a different place with no limitations, away from the real struggles of every day life. The story is adventurous, but also emotional at times, dealing with real concepts such as friendship, personal struggles, bullying and even loss. This is a novel I will gladly share with my future middle school classroom, a book that is not only a good read but also encourages deep thought and reflection. I highly recommend this book to young adolescents and adults alike. It is truly an adventure. ( )
  RoaneRayL | Apr 29, 2021 |
I read this book years and years ago, I was really young, but I remember it being impactful in my little kid's brain and heart. And reading it again today, I now understand why, and though it hits different now as an adult, it still brought me back to childhood and imagination and how just magic was surrounding us and how it could still if we allowed it, let it. I will reread this book one day again, and if I ever have kids, I will read it to them. It's beautiful, it's innocent, it's honest, and pure. It's just magical. ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
This novel takes you on a magical journey with Jess and Leslie through Terabithia. The two friends build a secret fantasyland across the creek in the woods, where they go to escape reality together. In Terabithia, your imagination can run wild and you can be whoever you desire to be. Bridge to Terabithia is an honest, moving story about friendship and loss. I first read this novel in the 5th grade and fell in love with it. The story taught me so much about imagination and the value of friendship and is a novel I would love my future students to experience. It addresses issues such as fitting in school, bullying, family struggles, and death, which are all topics I would like explore deeper with my future students. I recommend this book to those who love a good tear jerker and want to experience Terabithia for themselves! ( )
  Madimurphy33 | Mar 22, 2021 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, Katherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,738,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible