Jacob Have I Loved (1980)

by Katherine Paterson

Feeling deprived all her life of schooling, friends, mother, and even her name by her twin sister, Louise finally begins to find her identity.
Recently added byCmslibrary21, TheBobcatDen, johnsokj, private library, Saphira81, HMALibrary, Kuperstein, lmf
    A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (DimitraDaisy)
    The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (libelulla1)
    libelulla1: Both narrators are strong young women struggling to be themselves in a man's world.
    The World Is My Eggshell by Philippa Greene Mulford (bookel)
    A Trick of Light by Barbara Corcoran (bookel)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Another coming-of-age story dealing with sisters finding their own identities and searching for love.
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (corneggs)

English (61)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (63)
Now that I finished the book, I can't say I particularly liked the main characters or the plot. Also the pacing skipped around timeline-wise sometimes, especially at the end, when things happened but as a sidenote that made them feel so much more distanced than I would have liked. But the writing was so well researched, so detailed in the world building, so compelling that I couldn't help but be drawn in and actively want to continue reading. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
I really enjoyed reading this. I live in Maryland and I know of a couple of islands in the Bay like the island Louise lives on. Although this book takes place in the 1930s, many of the same issues of isolation and rising waters plague these communities today. Louise may have been annoying at times, but as a mother of teenagers I found her portrayal very realistic. Especially how she never tells anyone what she wants/needs but then is resentful that she doesn't get it. Overall, it was an interesting read that let me peak in on a way of life that is quickly becoming extinct. ( )
  Cora-R | Feb 17, 2021 |

Katherine Patersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Järnefelt, IrmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Jet van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Gene Inyard Namovicz
I wish it were EMMA, but, then,
you already have two or three copies of that.
With thanks and love.
As soon as the snow melts, I will go to Rass and fetch my mother.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,314,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible