A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (1)

13,066308332 (3.98)1 / 763
A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.
Recently added byGilsumLibrary, private library, JustGerry, bogsdarking, CozyRaptor, DanJlaf, libraryhead, tdhack, scaryaadillo
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (andomck)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (299)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (305)
I really enjoy this book. I started out reading it to my boys (I have read it before at least once). I got a few chapters and they lost interest for now. I finished it by myself. This book hails back to a time when 700 - 800 page books were not required of the author. A minor situation can be described in a paragraph or less.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters, their motives and interests. The magic of Earthsea is distinctive and mysterious. The geography is described in the title - lots of Ocean and the mages of Earthsea are useful particularly for watercraft.

I hope that the new generation of books hasn't detracted younger readers from this kind of story. I wonder if that is why my children lost interest. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
I don't know how to review this. It is what it is and I've read nothing similar. But I enjoyed it and may read more. ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | Feb 18, 2021 |
I remember reading this book years and years ago and disliking it for whatever reason, even though Evan loved it and read the whole series. I wanted to give it another chance now because I was pretty sure I didn't give it a fair shake at the time, and I've been in the mood for period fantasy lately. Luckily, this was an excellent read, and I look forward to the next book in the series. Now I just need to re-read The Great Gatsby to undo the work of junior English class... ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
Ever since I read “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas” in a college class, I knew LeGuin was different. Not just fantasy with a moral center, but fantasy that stares deep into your human weaknesses and asks you just what you plan to do about them. In “A Wizard Of Earthsea” I found my own frailties challenged in the open, but I also found healing.

Somewhere between the end of high school and the end of college, I lost the ability to read for pleasure. I was a voracious reader growing up, to the point where I’d get in trouble at school because I was reading under my desk instead of paying attention, but over the course of getting an English degree I grew to associate reading with deadlines, analysis, and resentment.

On top of that, the explosion of the fantasy genre in the last several years left me overwhelmed and alienated: where could I even start? What was I “supposed” to read? Which authors had the right politics, and which books were the most groundbreaking? It’s all an endless circle of responses to responses to responses, impossible to break into when you’re also trying to catch up on the books you are “supposed” to have read as an English degree holder.

So I gradually stopped reading. After graduating from college in 2013, I would read maybe two or three books a year, often rereading something I already knew I enjoyed. I didn’t even bother trying to catch up with fantasy, which used to be my favorite genre.

I picked up Earthsea on a whim, having resolved to read at least one book a month in 2019. I got more than I ever could have hoped for. The storytelling is vast and mythical, yet deeply human. It’s a wise, quiet story in which I could see the origins of some of my favorite fantasy writers (especially Tamora Pierce and Garth Nix), and reading it gave me a sense of forgiveness. I almost couldn’t remember what it felt like to enjoy fantasy without reservation and to look forward to reading more—I had to go back to basics, back to a book that was unselfconscious and unhurried and not trying to prove anything. I’m so glad I read “A Wizard of Earthsea” now, and I look forward to carrying it with me as I learn how to read all over again. ( )
2 vote acardon | Feb 5, 2021 |
This is pure pleasure to read, the best fantasy novel I've ever read and one I come back to repeatedly. Everything about it is perfect. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |

Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky.
—The Creation of Éa
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
The wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.
It is very hard for evil to take hold of the unconsenting soul.

Το νησί Γκοντ, ένα μοναχικό βουνό που η κορυφή του υψώνεται ένα μίλη πάνω από τη φουρτουνιασμένη Βορειοανατολική Θάλασσα, είναι ένας τόπος φημισμένος για τους μάγους του. Από τις πόλεις στα οροπέδιά του κι από τα λιμάνια στους σκοτεινούς, στενούς του κόλπους, πολλοί Γκοντιανοί έφυγαν για να υπηρετήσουν τους Άρχοντες του Αρχιπελάγους, στις πόλεις τους σαν μάγοι ή μάγιστροι, ή για ν' αναζητήσουν την περιπέτεια σαν περιπλανώμενοι γητευτές από νησί σε νησί σε όλη τη Γαιοθάλασσα.
Από αυτούς λέγεται ότι ο μεγαλύτερος, σίγουρα ο πιο πολυταξιδεμένος, ήταν ο άντρας που τον έλεγαν Κίρκο, που στις μέρες του έγινε και Άρχοντας των Δράκων και Αρχιμάγιστρος. Τη ζωή του αφηγούνται τα "Κατορθώματα του Γκεντ" και πολλά τραγούδια, αλλά τούτη εδώ δεν είναι μια ιστορία για την εποχή που δεν είχε γίνει ακόμα διάσημος, πριν γραφτούν τα τραγούδια.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Le Guin, Ursula K.,1929-2018.
Ο μάγος του αρχιπελάγους / Ούρσουλα Λε Γκεν · μετάφραση Λίλη Ιωαννίδου. - Αθήνα : Τρίτων, 1991. - 205σ. · 20x12εκ.
gre
Κεντρική διάθεση: Βιβλιοπέλαγος.
Το πρώτο βιβλίο του έπους της Γαιοθάλασσας.
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: A Wizard of Earthsea, 1968
ISBN 960-7479-00-9, ISBN-13 978-960-7479-00-6 (Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) ) [Εξαντλημένο ]
813.6
Sparrowhawk or Ged
A nameless shadow follows
Waiting for a name
(Benona)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,941,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible