A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (1)

11,457266344 (4)1 / 734
Recently added byrena75, deesbooknook78, rachelisreading, private library, AaronTalley, jeffdavis, roseskibowska, KatyBee, Miss_Sink
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (BeckyJP)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Sword & Sorcery at it's finest.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (wosret)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (MarcusH)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (spiphany)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (andomck)
    Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany (Anonymous user)
    The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two different schools of magic
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Othemts)

English (259)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (265)
2019 reread:
I was inspired to reread this series by watching the TV adaptation which was well done except for the fact that the plot didn't match my memory of the books. As it turned out, that discrepancy was due partly to the fact that the adaptation melded all 3 books of the original trilogy and partly because they changed the plot significantly!

I listened to the audiobook edition narrated by Rob Inglis who did a good narration. I am pleased that rereading this book in my later life lived up to my memory of reading it as a teenager (not always the case). ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
Having just read Elenium, it was hard not to read Sparrowhawk as Sparhawk... I did get quite attached to him however, once he stopped being a little brat that is. I have started the Tombs of Atuan, but so far it's a bit slow. Admittedly I am only a couple of chapters in, but I'm holding out hope that Sparrowhawk will show up and the whole thing will pickup! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
It's a classic, but I think I would have liked this book much better if I'd read it ten years ago. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
I hadn't read this since I was a kid - this one is narrated by Harlan Ellison whose style was earnest and excitable (haven't read him in a long time either...) I'm planning to listen/read through the series again plus newer additions focusing on female characters to see Leguin's development as an amazing writer. I miss her. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I'm sorry it took me so long to find this book! Looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |

Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saunders, Micksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky.
—The Creation of Éa
To my brothers
Clifton, Ted, Karl
The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.
The wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.
It is very hard for evil to take hold of the unconsenting soul.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553383043, Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this first book, A Wizard of Earthsea readers will witness Sparrowhawk's moving rite of passage--when he discovers his true name and becomes a young man. Great challenges await Sparrowhawk, including an almost deadly battle with a sinister creature, a monster that may be his own shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,571,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible