dismiss

The Hobbit (1937)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prelude)

74,1799928 (4.27)6 / 2069
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)

English (922)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (9)  German (7)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Serbian (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (985)
At first it was just a story with characters going on an adventure. Gradually I came to see themes that relate to us mortal humans.
* Conflict between groups
* Conflict within groups
* Misunderstood motives
* Greed
* Deception, betrayal
* Conflicting groups uniting against a common enemy
It provides something to think about.

I have tried many times to read this book and never succeeded until now. Since Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf mentioned it in General conference my wife read it and then I read it. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Seriously. I don't remember as a kid there being this many songs. I must have blanked it out. But yes, there is a lot of singing going on in The Hobbit. My plan is to read the other novels that are part of this universe due to the Amazon list just having the entire The Lord of the Rings books listed as one big read.

We have an omniscient narrator that allows readers to follow the tale of Bilbo Baggins, or The Hobbit. Unlike with the Peter Jackson movie, we actually do get to follow Bilbo and see how he first was conned into being hired as a burglar to a contingent of thirteen dwarfs who are focused on reclaiming treasure lost to them by the dragon Smaug. It is entirely an adventure tale with songs sprinkled throughout and we have Bilbo rising to the occasion throughout the story. This really is a coming of age story about Bilbo even though he is 50 at the time of this story.

I am not going to lie though. Except for the character of Thorin Oakenshield the other dwarfs just ran together in my head. It probably did not help that they all had similar names. Thorin ends up playing a major part of this book and his actions leads to a lot of death and destruction. I like how

The plot is pretty straight forward with as I said Bilbo being hired as a burglar by the thirteen dwarfs (I have no idea why, but I keep typing 13 Ghosts) to help them recover their stolen treasure. Due to this overarching end goal Bilbo, the dwarfs, and Gandalf keep getting into tight spots here and there. We also get the introduction of the character of Gollum who would be so important to the conclusion of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. And we also realize that without Bilbo going on this adventure, this could have led to worse things for his cousin Frodo when he began his own adventure in The Fellowship of the Ring.

The writing is quite good. There are a lot of lines that are said by some characters that cracked me up here and there.

The pacing though I found to be a bit off in some places. For example, the chapter that has the group with Beorn the North-man dragged on for way too long. It picks up again in the following chapter having the dwarfs captured by spiders. And by the way, I totally shuddered throughout that chapter.

The setting of Middle-Earth sounds like a fantasy and yet real at the same time. As you are reading you can pretend that once upon a time before the reign of Man, that Hobbits walked the Earth along with dragons, dwarfs, goblins, and trolls.

One thing to note about my electronic version. It came with illustrations that I felt really did add to the feeling that I had the complete book in my hand. I really liked that added feature, so if you are going to purchase The Hobbit, make sure that it comes with the illustrations. I liked those a lot.

I can't wait to start The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but will probably wait until I have my summer vacation time scheduled so I can have a nice block of time to read. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
The beginning of the Lord of the Rings cycle. Professor Tolkien's charming children's story was presented to me in this edition. I remembered at that point that I had read the riddling scene in an anthology of children's stories in the. late nineteen fifties, but this was the first time I had read the whole story. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 30, 2020 |
This was a reread. I listened to the bbc4 production. It was funny and everything i remember about my first read. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Jun 30, 2020 |
I must add a little something to this review: Hairy toes. Sung to the tune of the Everton chant, you know the one, 'Here we go'. If only the movie had thought of this, it would have had everything a Hobbit movie could have.

Hairy toes, hairy toes, hairy toes sung to this: https://youtu.be/Hl9fpAMP1lE. I leave it to the Hobbit experts to fill in the rest. But looking at the lines, a few small cosmetic changes and they'd be perfect for Hobbits vs Daleks.

Here we go, here we go, here we go Hairy toes, hairy toes, hairy toes
Everton is the best we all know Hobbiton is the best we all know
and we love you Everton. and we love you Hobbiton
Side by side as we sing along together
E-V-E-R-T-O-N
We’re Everton and we’ll be Everton forever

Everton forever we are Hobbiton forever we are etc etc etc
on our way together
Getting stronger every day.
we are winners all the way

Everton is the best we all know
and we love you Everton
Here we go, here we go, here we go,
Side by side as we sing along together,
E-V-E-R-T-O-N,
We’re Everton and we’ll be Everton forever

We’re the new sensation
We’re the talk of all the nation
We’re so glad to wear the Blue
Share this magic day with you

Everton is the best we all know
and we love you Everton.
Side by side as we sing along together
E-V-E-R-T-O-N
We’re Everton and we’ll be Everton forever.

My review follows:

Five things I have to say about Hobbit 3.

1) I had no idea that Tolkien was such a great writer. The line where the dwarf dude says to the kungfu-chick-elf ‘You make me feel so alive’. And where she says in a marvellously anguished way about love ‘It hurts so much’. That I could think up such lines.

(2) Unfortunately when the giant rabbits appeared Manny had just started sucking a Malteser. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried doing that and groaning at the same time. It isn’t pretty. Fortunately somebody in our row knew the Heimlich maneuvre. Personally, the big bunnies don’t bother me the way they do Tolkien nerds. I mean, if you are going to have lines like ‘You make me feel so alive’, does it matter what size the rabbits are?

The rest is here:

https://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/five-things-i-have-to-say... ( )
1 vote bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,748,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible