The Fellowship of the Ring (1954)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (1), Middle-earth (3.1)

46,98742021 (4.37)6 / 596
The first volume in the trilogy, tells of the fateful ppower of the One ring. All the members of the fellowship, hobbits, elves and wizards, are plunged into a clash between good and evil.
1950s (5)
Robin (2)

English (391)  Spanish (11)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Slovak (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (414)
Reading these as three books rather than one to help with my reading slump. Having obsessively consumed this story as a child and made myself sick of it through over-familiarity when I subsequently wrote my degree dissertation on Tolkien I've been avoiding an attempted re-read for over twenty years. I am amazed by the quality of the work which I imagined would disappoint after so long and which I imagined would suffer from the classics curse of seeming over-rated because of its position in the literary canon, but I was wrong on both counts. It still lives up to the hype. ( )
  ElegantMechanic | May 28, 2022 |
Interminable. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
I highly recommend this new audio version of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. It took me a while to get through but that was only because I wanted to savor the listening experience. Andy Serkis gives of the best narrative performances I have ever heard, for any book. He is truly a master of voices. I immensely enjoyed revisiting this story and its (mostly) beloved cast of characters. Several pivotal scenes involving Gandalf and Boromir were especially poignant with Serkis at the microphone. Just amazing! 5+ stars! ( )
  LowProfile | Apr 22, 2022 |
I thought it was well planned out and a really good book. I loved how the characters changed and grew as the story went on and how the story is laid out, slowly unveiling itself as it goes. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
Lord of the Rings, totally loved it, read it at least twice - maybe even earlier than when I was 13. Saw the Peter Jackson movies, enjoyed them, but realized how 'over it' I am. Did hear a young boy say something like "It would be AWESOME to have friends like that!" after seeing one of the movies. I reckon that might've been my early romantic reaction too. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
-Amazon
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,435,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible