The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R.…

The Fellowship of the Ring (1954)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (1)

38,67932322 (4.37)5 / 517

English (301)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (319)
For my taste, the LOTR series is just too dull. There's too much walking - everyone is walking around and walking and walking ... through this forest, under this mountain, through another forest ... I distinctly remember losing my bookmark in the first book - I had trouble finding the right spot again because it was all so similar. The hobbits were lost in a forest ... again.

I can, however, appreciate the linguistic effort put forth by Tolkien - the names sound right and the made-up languages are interesting.

The first volume is slightly better than the others as it contains colorful depictions of life in the Shire and its neighboring lands and sets out on what it looks to be a promising adventure. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This was my 1st reread since the movies starting coming out, & I was pleasantly diverted. I listened to the audiobook read by Rob Inglis, & while he is VERY different from the characters as portrayed in the movies (for better or worse, the voices as they sound in my head), he did give everyone their own unique touch. Listening helped me get through the slower parts of Book 1, & Book 2 kept me company while I was ill over the last week. It really is a ripping story, well worth many return trips. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Well, I completed the audio version of The Fellowship of the Ring and would recommend it to others. Listening (versus reading) gave me a different perspective, although it was difficult to set aside the association of some characters voices with specific actors from the movie version. The songs were definitely more memorable when sung by a narrator. One could go into the various themes of the book such as good v evil or the use of fear as a weapon. This time around, I just wanted to enjoy the development of the story and characters, without over thinking things. ( )
  This-n-That | Nov 22, 2018 |
Somewhere amongst the folded masses of my t-shirts sits a faded, much worn, olive green tee that has more holes than fabric at this point. It's been around the bend multiple times in t-shirt years and I love it. Whenever shit hits the fan, that's the shirt I'm gonna drag out. Consider it my cloak of way-too-much-visibility.

I have a feeling that The Fellowship of the Ring (and related books) will have a similar future midst the population of much read favorites on my bookshelves. Minus the holes. Hopefully.

I'm a sucker for adventure/quest fantasies. In other words I'm the token fan of Tolkien. I've got a hobbitish appetite for traversing old woods and completing even the vaguest of missions. So I enjoyed Fellowship and look forward to reading more just as I'll look forward to pulling down the books at various points in the future and rereading them for the kick of it. I find Tolkien's pace comforting; it breathes along the way, gives way for the reader to envision.

Besides falling a bit in love with Sam Gamgee and harboring a newly burgeoning grudge against my elementary school music teacher (every single part in verse in this book played to the tune of Greensleeves in my head; thank you so so SO much for hammering that song into our heads for years. I can hear the recorders... and the hand bells... and the singing rounds. *Gollum-esque shudder/twitch*), I'm just happy to have a new book to add to my comfort reads repertoire. There isn't much to say about Fellowship that hasn't been said ad infinitum honestly; it's not for everyone, it's not even for every fantasy fan or every fan of quest/adventure stories. If you like a long hike in the woods, you might like this. If you abhor a long hike in the woods... you might like this. Tolkien's style might drive you up a wall, put you to sleep, stoke rapturous visions, or strike an inspiring chord within you. It might do a bit of all the above. I think that's what often makes it such a favorite with those who fall in with it - it's a reader driven narrative. Yes, Tolkien has created this huge world for you to plunge into and he hasn't shorted us on its sights and inhabitants. The magic, however, is brought to fruition within its interpretation. LotR, as a whole and in its parts, is a literary/readable Amortentia, the love potion that smells different to each person according to what attracts them.

[Why, yes, the Harry Potter series is also a favorite comfort read. How perceptive you are!]

I read verses, Sam Gamgee's wisdom and loyalty, the futility of being divided and closed off - how such only multiplies and corrodes. This time, anyways. Next time I pick up this book I might read something completely different, fall in love with something completely different. I love that possibility.
  lamotamant | Nov 21, 2018 |
I've started this book so many times, but this time I succeeded. It's quite the read and sometimes not the most thrilling. However it's an amazingly woven plot and a beautiful story if you can get into it. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Tre har elvernes konge i dybeste skove,
Syv har dværgenes herrer i sale af sten,
Ni har mennesket dødeligt, dømt til at sove
Én har den natsote fyrste for ondskab og mén
I Mordors land, hvor skygger ruge.
Én Ring er over dem alle, Én Ring kan finde de andre
Én Ring kan bringe dem alle, i mørket lænke dem alle
I Mordors land, hvor skygger ruge.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Denne bog handler for en stor del om hobbitterne, og af dens sider vil læseren kune finde ud af meget om deres karakter og lidt om deres historie.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.
In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
-Amazon
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,684,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible